Handheld Suggestions?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
My mom was going to buy me a new digital camera for my birthday, but I'm thinking that a handheld NAV/COM would be a lot more useful in the event of an electrical failure in IMC. I've been looking at the Sporty's one because of its ability to do the Localizer as well as VORs and COM, but I'm wondering what input others have on what a good handheld NAV/COM would be.

There is also the possibility of an aviation GPS, but I'm not sold on the 396/496 weather capabilities, so I don't really feel like going out and spending that kind of money on a GPS.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Vertex (Yeasu) or Icom.
I have a Vertex one now and it is bullet proof. They do nto make the exact model I have but I also bought it because it works on teh ham bands as well as airbands.

But both Vertex and Icon make really good radios. I am not sure who makes the Sporty's OEM'ed one.

If I had to pick one I would give a serious look at the VXA-300

Last edited:
I have an IC-A24 and love it. It's got lots of audio output (essential for a real airplane cockpit), it's well built, and it's simple to use with lots of features if that floats your boat. I also own about $10K of Icom ham radio gear, and haven't had a lick of trouble with any of it.

That said, Yaesu also builds fine radios that hold up well. You won't go wrong with either one. I haven't looked at the Sporty's radio, so I can't comment on it.

I have an IC-A24 and love it. It's got lots of audio output (essential for a real airplane cockpit), it's well built, and it's simple to use with lots of features if that floats your boat. I also own about $10K of Icom ham radio gear, and haven't had a lick of trouble with any of it.

That said, Yaesu also builds fine radios that hold up well. You won't go wrong with either one. I haven't looked at the Sporty's radio, so I can't comment on it.
I still have some Icom ham gear and loved it. Over the past few years I switched a lot of my ham stuff to Yeasu.

BTW for everyone Vertex=Yeasu=Standard it is all the same company and is owned by Motorola.

I mostly went to Yeasu for my ham gear because I was doing a lot fo weak signal and satellite stuff and the FT847 was the defacto standard transceiver for that job since the 736R was no longer in production.

I still have an Icom IC2200 in the truck and an IC-3T for 220MHz. Build like bricks! I used to run an IC720A on HF and loved that radio. I still wish I could find a IC375!

The one thing I'd say is that a localizer display probably isn't too important, because trying to actually use it in flight would be beyond challenging. OTOH, ability to do split NAV/COM to talk over the VOR might be useful. (If anyone's successfully used a handheld localizer display to navigate, I'd be interested in hearing about it.) I had the Sporty's model for a while and it worked well, but is fairly bulky. Leslie's Icom is much more compact.

In flight, a handheld is almost useless for transmitting unless it's wired to an external antenna. Receive performance is decent.

I'm not trying to turn you away from a handheld - I have an Icom A22 and it's now 12 years old and still terrific. I use it for calling for fuel, as a scanner at my favorite plane watching places, and for talking to planes when I'm marshalling at fly-ins.

Just be aware that it's not likely to help you re-establish ATC contact if you lose your radios or electrical system. When you own a plane (or if you can convince the owners of the plane you rent) there are kits to let you patch in your handheld to an existing antenna.

An inexpensive aviation GPS is MUCH more useful in electrical emergencies if you don't already have one - I had a Garmin GPS90, and now have a 96C. It will let you continue to navigate, which comes before communicate in our emergency trinity.

The one thing I'd say is that a localizer display probably isn't too important, because trying to actually use it in flight would be beyond challenging. OTOH, ability to do split NAV/COM to talk over the VOR might be useful. (If anyone's successfully used a handheld localizer display to navigate, I'd be interested in hearing about it.) I had the Sporty's model for a while and it worked well, but is fairly bulky. Leslie's Icom is much more compact.

I have the Sporty's NAV/COM and did a practice flight using the localizer indications for navigation. I prefer to try things before I have to use them. The issue I had placement to use it. But in a crisis every little bit helps. I have not tried to shoot a localizer approach with it, I don't have enough hands.

I also purchased and tested the headset adaptor cord although I do not have an antenna cable connection available in the cockpit.

I have also tried flying approaches using the Garmin 196 six pack. I like to know what I can and can't use in a real pinch.

I just picked up an Icom A-23 Nav/Com radio off the AOPA Classifieds for a great price. Arrived yesterday from a fellow pilot in NC, and works great. Tried it out at the airport last night and I'll have it tonight as well. (Wings) Can't speak much other than that, but Icom was where I was pointed after doing a lot of reading online. Their manual was the biggest complaint, but it doens't seem to bad.

I still have some Icom ham gear and loved it. Over the past few years I switched a lot of my ham stuff to Yeasu.
I'm just the other way around: my previous ham stuff was largely Yaesu (a VX-5R and an FT-857, mainly), but went to Icom because of D-Star. I think that's nothing less than the future of ham radio.

It'll be interesting to see what Motorola does with Vertex Standard; their acquisition is pretty recent (late last year, IIRC).

In flight, a handheld is almost useless for transmitting unless it's wired to an external antenna. Receive performance is decent.
Tim is correct. It seems like a handheld is a great idea but unless you have the external antenna, I'd go for a handheld GPS.

-Skip

I'm just the other way around: my previous ham stuff was largely Yaesu (a VX-5R and an FT-857, mainly), but went to Icom because of D-Star. I think that's nothing less than the future of ham radio.
D-Star seems kinds of interesting. Not many D-Star repeaters near me though.

It'll be interesting to see what Motorola does with Vertex Standard; their acquisition is pretty recent (late last year, IIRC).
yep

I have also tried flying approaches using the Garmin 196 six pack. I like to know what I can and can't use in a real pinch.

And what's your thought on this, if a handheld GPS is perhaps something that would be of better use to me than the handheld NAV/COM?

I have a Sporty's handheld and it works great.

I use it for ATIS/AWOS listening, Clearance Delivery calling, and student pilot pattern monitoring.

I tried using the NAV function. Forget it. If you're in that much hurt call ATC and get vectors.

I've used it twice after full electric failure -- once VFR in a C152, once IFR in a Bonanza 35.

In the C152 I had traffic advisories with Harrisburg Approach, was handed off the LNS tower, and landed.

In the 35, I was midway between AKR and FWQ, lost all electric, called up PITT APP, told them my situation and intentions (Direct FWQ, per last vector) and that I would begin my descent 10 miles out. I could hear PITT Well enough to have that action confirmed.

A headset plug in would be nice, but in my experience is not required.

Vertex or Icom

A big consideration is being able to operate it comfortably with one hand. make sure the reach and buttons work well with your hands. Go to Lancaster and try them on for size.

This is different from my experience.

When the radio was out for repair in the Citabria I fly, I used my old Icom A3 with the headset jacks. No external antenna, just the rubber duckie antenna it came with.

I had no problem communicating with a class D tower 15NM out at about 2500AGL, and certainly no problem with those near/in the pattern.

I understand this is a different animal than those who want to be in touch with center many miles away, but for more local uses, the handheld w/o external antenna worked great.

Tim

I'm not trying to turn you away from a handheld - I have an Icom A22 and it's now 12 years old and still terrific. I use it for calling for fuel, as a scanner at my favorite plane watching places, and for talking to planes when I'm marshalling at fly-ins.

Just be aware that it's not likely to help you re-establish ATC contact if you lose your radios or electrical system. When you own a plane (or if you can convince the owners of the plane you rent) there are kits to let you patch in your handheld to an existing antenna.

An inexpensive aviation GPS is MUCH more useful in electrical emergencies if you don't already have one - I had a Garmin GPS90, and now have a 96C. It will let you continue to navigate, which comes before communicate in our emergency trinity.

Tim, could well be due to the airframe differences. My two attempts to transmit were both in new Cessnas, to approach control which was probably distant.

Regardless, when it comes to emergency equipment, I look for things that will help me:

Aviate: Spent $5000 for a second, electric, AI for the Mooney I owned after having two AIs fail in IMC previously. All the airplanes I fly now for IFR have standby gauges, and I'm much happier.
Navigate: Portable GPS. I loved the GPS90, and I love the 96C
Communicate: Portable radio, cellphone and (soon) a 406MHz PLB

Tim, could well be due to the airframe differences. My two attempts to transmit were both in new Cessnas, to approach control which was probably distant.

I'll bet you are correct about the airframe differences -rag and tube versus a metal box. I would imagine, though I'm not certain, that the metal structure would attenuate the limited signal more than doped fabric.

Aviate: Spent $5000 for a second, electric, AI for the Mooney I owned after having two AIs fail in IMC previously. All the airplanes I fly now for IFR have standby gauges, and I'm much happier.

Shoot, I don't even get one artificial horizon in the Citabria. ;-]

Tim

Tim

I have an Icom A6 and love it. I've also used both Yaesu and Icom ham equipment.

I sold both for a while until last year but got out of it with so little time left for training and work. I may get back into it since I still have the wholesale accounts.

I have my Vertex VXA-210 Nav/Com with everyday in the day. Great to listen to approach, departure, ASOS/AWOIS and tower when on the road. It is a great way to stay current on radio calls and response, especially when ebveryone is flying the approach.
Although I never had to, I also carry the adapter cable to switch my headset into the handheld in the air. But I agree, that the idea of a great weather-linked GPS ala Garmin 396 / Garmin 496 or the new Bendix King AV8OR would be on my wish list. Pity they charge every month for the service though. But the GARMIN Devices will get you back on the ground safely if all else fails. The radio will be second on the list of emergency equipment, but you would need the erxternal antenna to ensure you have a signal.

Last edited:
I have a Sporty's handheld and it works great.

I use it for ATIS/AWOS listening, Clearance Delivery calling, and student pilot pattern monitoring.

I tried using the NAV function. Forget it. If you're in that much hurt call ATC and get vectors.

I've used it twice after full electric failure -- once VFR in a C152, once IFR in a Bonanza 35.

In the C152 I had traffic advisories with Harrisburg Approach, was handed off the LNS tower, and landed.

In the 35, I was midway between AKR and FWQ, lost all electric, called up PITT APP, told them my situation and intentions (Direct FWQ, per last vector) and that I would begin my descent 10 miles out. I could hear PITT Well enough to have that action confirmed.

A headset plug in would be nice, but in my experience is not required.

I echo Dan's comments. I do have the headset adapter and think in an emergency it would be necessary to have it. I also like the Sportys b/c the alkiline batteries are standard. I also agree with Tim that I'd get the GPS before the Transceiver.

Back