handheld GPS mount

chucky

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chucky
I've got a little Garmin G96C for use in the cockpit. I don't really use it much, though, since I don't usually need it and it's a bit of a pain to keep in my lap. I mainly have it for backup - particularly now that I'm flying actual IFR, I want something to show me where I am and help me get home if the electrical system quits. My instructor has the same GPS and has a yoke mount for it, but I have a yoke clip instead, and I'd much rather have approach plates on the yoke. I think what I want is a friction mount to stick it to the window beside me. Garmin lists three different friction mounts for the G96 (here, here, and here). It's not really clear to me which one would be appropriate.

Has anyone mounted a Garmin GPS like this? Can you comment on which mount is best (my guess is the portable one), or if this is even feasible at all? I fly Cherokees (Warriors mostly, the occasional Arrow).

Another vote for a good window suction cup mount. I've been using one for 2-3 years and having the GPS in my line of sight when heads-up has been great.

Back