Handheld Aviation Transceivers

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
What handheld aviation transceivers are worth looking at, having, owning? What brands/models are good? Which should be avoided?

I am considering one not only for a back up in the air, but also for use on the ground during fly-ins and "flying-the-kids" rallies. Would need something with a good battery life, ability to easily switch a depleted battery for fully charged, and good output wattage. Also need something that I can plug my headset into and listen/talk through that. And a 3.5mm listen only jack would be a plus for having at airshows.

For those that own one,
  • which do you have? (brand and model please)
  • what do you like about it?
  • what do you not like about it or what would you change?
  • would you purchase it again?

And as an alternative to purchasing new, are there any outdated models worth finding?

If you have a link to a recent aviation publication review, please share.

I'm a fan of Icom. My A24 is solid, works well. Make sure when comparing prices you read the fine print on what is included. Me I'd want a belt clip, headset adapter and rechargeable battery at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own an Icom A6 and use it as a backup and for cruising around the airport on the golf cart.

The Yeasu FTA-230 is probably also a solid choice.

I wouldn't bother with the NAV stuff. I think it's too gimicky, like, say, an iPad.

I have the Yaesu FTA-310. It has all the accessories and abilities you mention. not sure about the 3.5mm jack. Great quality, durability, and functionality, BUT it is the most un user friendly and non intuitive piece of electronics I have ever owned. To be fair, I don't use it often enough to be proficient. I have heard Icom makes a good product as well.

I have a Yaesu FTA-230. Head set jack and charger. Need a cheat sheet to program, easy to just input channel and listen or talk. A little harder to scan between 2 or more channels. That's were the cheat sheet comes in.

Icom and Yaesu both make products that have survived in my flight bag. Both had rechargeable batteries and an option to use AA. Both had headset adapters available. Icom antenna connector is a bit more common than Yaesu which was a minor concern for me since there is an extra VHF antenna w/connection under the panel on the 'Kota. Yaesu interface is a bit fussy but I always managed to get it on frequency. I didn't use many of its other functions.

The Yaesu proved to be disloyal and left the aircraft. I suspect it had external help but can't prove it. The icom has been loyal but it suffers a strictly regimented life in a backpack and is denied contact with other people. I feed it electrons every few months and it seems to tolerate it's existence.

I like the price on some of the lower cost off-brands these days. Nate might have some good/bad on them since he is a radio guy.

Edit: the icom is the A14.

Last edited:
I have a Vertex VXA-210 Pilot radio. I won it at a raffle for our Areo Club a bunch of years ago. I just bought a charger for it because the (second) battery I have in it doesn't last all day anymore. I like that I can just plug in any freq I need but that it also has a mode where I can pre-program and label frequencies and click through them. I use it to listen to the ATIS while I'm preflighting the plane. I also had to use it when I had an alternator failure and the battery died before I got back to my Class C airport. I keep it clipped to the passenger seat when I'm flying.

I have a Yaesu. I don't remember the model, but it has VOR and stuff. It did take a bit to learn how to use all the functions, but it was no more difficult than learning how to use Foreflight, or the 430 in my plane. I have used it twice for emergencies, and although it didn't have more than a few miles range, it did get me on the ground at a Class D without having to use the light gun. (Someday, I'd like to install an external antenna for it, but...) And the adapter to plug your headset in is a must. I think you could probably plug an ear bud into it, if you had the right adapter. I'll have to check on that.

Some may feel the VOR functions aren't worth the extra $$, but I like redundancy. I have used the VOR function in the air, just to try it out, and it works fine.

I have Icom hand held comms. A3, A5, and A24. None are easy to use unless you use them often. They aren't intuitive like other electronics have become. All require recharging from a wall socket. I used to wish at least one used regular batteries for off-grid trips but in truth I almost never use them so it hasn't been important.

Really happy with my Yaesu FTA-230. Use it as my primary. It is entirely capable of serving that function, pulls in weather from 20 miles away and broadcasts and receives other aircraft at least 10 miles away, even on the ground while taxi.

I started flying my Bearhawk LSA earlier this year using an ancient ICOM A2 radio. Worked great for about ten hours but then intermittently became "carrier, no voice". Given I fly out of a Class D airport, I decided it was time to upgrade.

Spent considerable time researching options and settled on the Yaesu 450L as opposed to the ICOM A6. Main reasons were the Yaesu was Lithium Ion with "smart chargers"(instead of NiMh and "Don't leave plugged in for more then 12 hours") included the 12V adapter($49 extra for ICOM) and had a much better display set up.

Received it and all seemed good. However, as soon as I got around a mile from the airport, the squelch broke and a strong interfering signal meant all I could hear was badly distorted music. In another mile, all cleared up again but as I was working my way out across the city I ran into it twice more. I did all the troubleshooting I could while flying(squelch levels, rearranging cables etc.) but no joy.

Tried it the next day with a different set of headsets but still had the same interference issues. This time on the return was chewed out by the tower since the interference was within a few miles of the airport and I couldn't hear their instructions for about 30 seconds.

Borrowed an older ICOM A22 from a friend and had no issues(had to use the Icom charging cable and headset adapter but everything else was the same setup/cabling/position as the Yaesu). At that point, I thought I had a bad Yaesu radio and was waiting for Monday to arrange an exchange.

The an odd coincidence happened. I struck up a conversation with another person at the airport without providing anything more then I was chasing down some "handheld issues". I didn't mention the brand of radio ore even what the issues were. He said, "Me too" and went on to describe how he purchased a Yaesu 550L(basically a 450L with nav) at Oshkosh last year but has had nothing but interference issues when using it here in town(Phoenix). He used his RF technician/ham radio background and test equipment to isolate some filtering issues in the front end of the radio and claimed to have spoken with Yaesu where they "Duplicated it but aren't doing anything about it".

So I returned the Yaesu and purchased the A6(including spending a ridiculous $49 for a DC to DC adapter). Been flying with it now for fifty hours and all is fine.

Disappointed because the Yaesu did seem to be the better value and a newer design but it became a "Other then that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play" experience.

Hats off to Gulfcoast Avionics They paid for the return shipping of the Yaesu and also sent the A6 out second day air on their dime.

yasau fta 230 pilot shop had then on sale yesterday like $175

I like my Icom.

In the glider club I used Icom, Vertex, Sporty's, and at least one more. All work fine, all are sturdy, all will survive being banged around, and all are water resistant to some level so getting *some* rain on it won't hurt.

The differences are in the user-interface. Some are just easier to use than others. On some, the squelch requires multiple button presses, on others it's a simple twist knob. On some, you have to go through multiple menus to add speed-dials for frequencies, on others it's a shorter sequence. Some are louder than others, and if you clip them on your belt on a noisy ramp that can make a difference. Try a couple and understand they all have the same transmit power and receiver sensitivity. The difference will be the controls.

I bought an iCom receiver about 8 years ago, and it was impossible to just tune in a frequency. It wanted to be a scanner, the whole UI assumed you set it up the night before.

What units will just let you type in 123.45 and let you hear and talk on that, without having to 'program' anything? Like we had in the old days, when handhelds used mechanical thumb wheels.

FTA-230... Marv Golden pilot supply has good deals. Tell him Shawn sent you.
I have 2 of these radios and they are the best in my opinion. Very small, light and easy to use.

What units will just let you type in 123.45 and let you hear and talk on that.

Don't know, but if you want a quick $10K fine and a visit from your local FCC enforcement station, just keep using that frequency and 123.4. Don't believe me, find the pilot of the Coors Silver Bullet and ask him whether or not the FCC is serious about it.

As to technical details and user friendly, if I ever wanted to design a handheld (which is one of the few avionics products I'll never do) I'd copy one of the older Icoms. I find them easy to use and damn near bulletproof.

Jim

What handheld aviation transceivers are worth looking at, having, owning? good output wattage.

Sort of curious about why you think output wattage is a useful criterion. 1 watt has a range of about 1200 miles with a ground plane on both ends. However, use the rubber duckie (aka rubber resistor aka dummy load) that came with the handheld and you cut that down to about 12 miles. Get a decent antenna and up goes the range by a factor of 100.

Jim

Sort of curious about why you think output wattage is a useful criterion. 1 watt has a range of about 1200 miles with a ground plane on both ends. However, use the rubber duckie (aka rubber resistor aka dummy load) that came with the handheld and you cut that down to about 12 miles. Get a decent antenna and up goes the range by a factor of 100.

Jim
My only experience with these are a few that wouldn't transmit line of site to the end of the runway. If I purchase one, I want it to work as expected.

+ for Yaesu FTA-230 (update of my FTA-220). I wish it had a Lithium-ion battery, but the NiMh with backup Alkaline pack has worked out. I've been tempted to get the new FTA-450L. Any radio with this many features (icom/yaesu) will be a bit complicated. A little cheat sheet stuck in the battery compartment helps out.

I recently bought two new Sporty (400s) hand-held radio's for my glider operation. The ground crew uses them to announce when were going to push the glider onto the active runway & to monitor traffic. They are easy to use, take regular AA batteries, & seem to last forever without changing batteries.

So far I've haven't used them in flight but my airplane does have an external antenna with a jack on the instrument panel for a portable. Sometime I'll hook it up & see how it sounds.

So far so good.

My only experience with these are a few that wouldn't transmit line of site to the end of the runway. If I purchase one, I want it to work as expected.

I used my cheap little FTA-230 in my Cub with the standard little rubber antenna. I could hear airport communications great 25-30 miles out

I bought an iCom receiver about 8 years ago, and it was impossible to just tune in a frequency. It wanted to be a scanner, the whole UI assumed you set it up the night before.

What units will just let you type in 123.45 and let you hear and talk on that, without having to 'program' anything? Like we had in the old days, when handhelds used mechanical thumb wheels.

That's what my 8 year old or so Icom let's you do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the FTa-550. When my first radio crapped out and my second decided it would only pick up the local Spanish radio broadcast, I pulled it out and worked to communicate within about 10 miles of the airport. Didn't try talking to FW Center

Three things that are all that really matter to me in a handheld:

Wattage power...all things being equal the higher the better.
Rechargeable...but with an optional AA battery sled...for when you REALLY need it and forgot to charge it
Aviation Headset adapter.

Having had a com panel failure on a long XC from home and needed to depart a class C...glad I actually had all three of those features when I needed it!

Last edited:
SP-400 +1

I'd say durable and very easy to use. You don't need a manual to figure it out and it has NAV.

I have the Yaesu FTA-310. It has all the accessories and abilities you mention. not sure about the 3.5mm jack. Great quality, durability, and functionality, BUT it is the most un user friendly and non intuitive piece of electronics I have ever owned. To be fair, I don't use it often enough to be proficient. I have heard Icom makes a good product as well.

I have one too and agree with the un-user friendly comment wholeheartedly. It shouldn't be so difficult just to change a frequency.

+1 Yaesu FTA-230.

Definitely didn't want the nav stuff. Do wish it had a Lithium battery but the Nimh has worked fine for us. Decent belt clip, battery sled and headset adapter included.

Mostly use it to listen to ATIS/AWOS/TWR/GND before starting up the plane. Its small, rugged and somewhat waterproof which was more important than massive features. Always carry this radio, sled of AA's and the headset adapter in the flight bag. If cost were no object I would have a spare coax cable under the panel so it could be plugged into the AC antennae's. Seems to be able to pick up pretty far away at altitude. On the ground I'm guessing it might pick up out to maybe 10 miles the plane is at least 2000AGL. Given the limited wattage I'd be surprised if someone on the ground could hear you well past 10 miles, especially after a few transmissions and the batteries start to drain. It does pick up wx nicely. Not exactly intuitive to operate (keep instructions nearby). I had no idea it could scan! Definitely wouldn't want anything bigger in the flightbag now that we've tried this small of a radio.

Don't know, but if you want a quick $10K fine and a visit from your local FCC enforcement station, just keep using that frequency and 123.4. Don't believe me, find the pilot of the Coors Silver Bullet and ask him whether or not the FCC is serious about it.

I'm pretty sure that was a generic frequency example. Just like when people tell about radio calls they've heard and use "N1234".

Do you get upset when you watch a movie or TV show where they use a phone number that starts with "555"? :D

I'm pretty sure that was a generic frequency example. Just like when people tell about radio calls they've heard and use "N1234".

Do you get upset when you watch a movie or TV show where they use a phone number that starts with "555"? :D
No, I only get upset when I'm in the middle of a two hour test paying airplane time, engineer time, equipment time, and my time when some bozo screws up a full hour's data chatting with his good buddy about Rosie Beanbag's Cafe over at East BF Egypt's airport.

JIm

Back