Hand rudder controls for paraplegic.

Pilot4331

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot4331
Hello all,
My name is Ethan. I am a paraplegic. I am only 20, an am trying to find a set of hand controls for cessna aircraft. I have 20 hours from 3 years ago. Was involved in a serious truck accident which honestly i shouldnt have lived through. I am still trying to pursue my dream in aviation which comes naturally to me. I have been searching for about a year and am not able to locate a set of controls.... Anyone please helpppp!!!:yikes:

What about a Ercoupe? No rudders to deal with.

I have a friend with a set but don't know if he wants to sell or not. I'll ask.

Do you need the Cessna controls for a specific reason? There are several aircraft types that can be fitted with adaptavive hand controls.

The Sky Arrow that I fly has a factory installed option that has the throttle and rudder on a single control. I've instructed 7 pilots in it that have acheived their Sport Pilot or Private Pilot certificates. The controls are the simplest to use and install of any I've seen.

Go to www.ableflight.org tolearnabout possible scholarships if you are interested. They also have links to videos on the handcontrols and their graduates.

I applaud your determination to follow your dreams. Good Luck and let me know how if you have any further questions

PM Sent as to where he might find one.

When you're ready for a Beech, there's also an STC for them as well, I helped install them in a couple A-36s.

This post is so ironic. Last night I was thinking about this situation if it were to happen to someone. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for and I wish you the best!

If anyone is interested in the Union Hand Controls for Cessna and some Grumman models please contact me. We have obtained the STC's and will have them back in production soon. We can use all the help we can get as this is a humanitarian effort. Check us out at www.operationprop.com.

The IWA website has been wonky for a while, might check them on Facebook, they used to have a for-sale section on the website as well as a listing of all STC's and suppliers like operationprop above.

Find folks in your or similar situation and do what they did, no need to reinvent the wheel. The Ercoupe is a great suggestion and common among paraplegics, along with the SkyArrow - big issue is finding a training aircraft that, at least if you don't own it, can be easily modified for your training.

Good luck!

'Gimp

When you're ready for a Beech, there's also an STC for them as well, I helped install them in a couple A-36s.
I'm looking at a Beech Skipper. I need any info you have on hand controls for Beechcraft airplanes.

Wow, impressive. So many people jumping in to help. Great community!

I'm looking at a Beech Skipper. I need any info you have on hand controls for Beechcraft airplanes.
I’m confident that Henning will have a boatload of information on Beechcraft airplanes. Unfortunately, he’s restricted from showing his face around these parts any longer.

I’m confident that Henning will have a boatload of information on Beechcraft airplanes. Unfortunately, he’s restricted from showing his face around these parts any longer.
I dont know him. Any way you are aware of to get in touch with him?

Hello all,
My name is Ethan. I am a paraplegic. I am only 20, an am trying to find a set of hand controls for cessna aircraft. I have 20 hours from 3 years ago. Was involved in a serious truck accident which honestly i shouldnt have lived through. I am still trying to pursue my dream in aviation which comes naturally to me. I have been searching for about a year and am not able to locate a set of controls.... Anyone please helpppp!!!:yikes:

Can't help with the Cessna question, but I trained five paraplegics in Cherokees. Contract the Wheelchair Pilots Association....they probably have info on what is available for different makes.

Bob

Well, it is now. Did you have a question?

Hello all,
Ethan I am a paraplegic also I was a corporate pilot until my accident in 1982. I had a Piper Colt and a Tripacer if you have access to either one of those planes there easy for hand controls. Just take a piece of pipe and weld a ring on the end with a T on the other end. You can slip the ring on one of the rudder peddles so that you can control the rudders. When you get air born the Piper Tripacer or colt have bungy cards linking the rudders so essentially you do not need the rudder until your ready to land.

Back