Hand flying in sustained, hard IMC

Eventually, we are looking at putting the new TruTrak AP in it once it's certified for the 182. The price is just too good.

I hope they get that TruTrak certified for the 210. Assuming I get the 210 I'm looking at, itll need an A/P sooner rather than later

Only trick is avoiding an embedded TS when flying inside buildups. If you have no radar or nexrad, you can easily run into some hurt, real fast.

I'll be the lone one to disagree. I look forward to those flights and enjoy them. In fact I usually only use the AP in VMC and specifically kick it off before entering IMC to hand fly.

Unfortunately in the 414 you don't get extended periods in IMC, but I routinely spent hours on end hand flying in the Aztec, 310, Navajo, and other birds that lived <10k. I loved it. Those APs were junk anyway. But I also enjoy hand flying and have had plenty of 10-hour days of it. Even in planes with functioning APs, I would hand fly 10 hour days just for fun. Yes, I realize that I'm not what what some would call normal. I've also failed instruments on myself in night IMC for practice.

Now, to the OP, you don't get to that point overnight, it takes practice. I would encourage you (and everyone) to do as much hand flying in actual as you can do comfortably. Your ability and comfort will build over time if you do that. If you do the AP-on all the time mode that some do, then you'll have the opposite happen. Don't feel badly about this - that part is normal.

It DOES get tiring at first. But build your way up and it will get less tiring with time. Now it's just second nature for me, but you have to work to get there.

How so ? Please elaborate.
And if I cannot trust Century III manual then what I am supposed to rely on ?
The manual isn't too bad but ya gotta remember that it was written before product liability lawyers had a large say in things. It isn't as bad as the cezzna "land-o-matic" gear but it has a bit of marketing in it.

Only trick is avoiding an embedded TS when flying inside buildups. If you have no radar or nexrad, you can easily run into some hurt, real fast.

Agreed.

Yup, and for that reason, I left my conference yesterday early in the morning instead of at noon. I knew there was going to be no way to fly at altitude and avoid IMC, and the insides of those clouds were only going to get bumpier and more dangerous as the day wore on. I did use my A/P, as I normally do for extended flights whether in VMC or IMC.

But I'm in the camp that says to get as much practice hand flying IMC as you can. I like to shoot approaches, solo, in hard IMC. It's rare that I get the opportunity in Vermont, though.

I'll be the lone one to disagree. I look forward to those flights and enjoy them. In fact I usually only use the AP in VMC and specifically kick it off before entering IMC to hand fly.

Unfortunately in the 414 you don't get extended periods in IMC, but I routinely spent hours on end hand flying in the Aztec, 310, Navajo, and other birds that lived <10k. I loved it. Those APs were junk anyway. But I also enjoy hand flying and have had plenty of 10-hour days of it. Even in planes with functioning APs, I would hand fly 10 hour days just for fun. Yes, I realize that I'm not what what some would call normal. I've also failed instruments on myself in night IMC for practice.

Now, to the OP, you don't get to that point overnight, it takes practice. I would encourage you (and everyone) to do as much hand flying in actual as you can do comfortably. Your ability and comfort will build over time if you do that. If you do the AP-on all the time mode that some do, then you'll have the opposite happen. Don't feel badly about this - that part is normal.

It DOES get tiring at first. But build your way up and it will get less tiring with time. Now it's just second nature for me, but you have to work to get there.

My habits evolved through something similar to yours above. I used to opt to hand fly IMC every opportunity. But now I am with what Bill Watson posted above; I don't (can't?) do today everything I did when I was in my 30s. However, the IIIc autopilot in the Aztec still gets turned off whenever I am in convective, and its heaviest use is in VMC.

I would also make the observation that light wing loading airplanes are probably more fatiguing to hand fly in convective IMC than some of the heavier twins on your list. Frankly, I cannot imagine hand flying a 182 in convective for 10 hours, even if I was still in my 30s. ;)

As I have gotten older my personal limits have changed. I plan for a maximum 8 hours of total air time in a day, even if it's gorgeous weather, and 5 hours of bumpy IMC is enough for me now. The fatigue just gets too risky after that imo.

As I have gotten older my personal limits have changed. I plan for a maximum 8 hours of total air time in a day, even if it's gorgeous weather, and 5 hours of bumpy IMC is enough for me now. The fatigue just gets too risky after that imo.

This is certainly a worthwhile point. I don't expect as I age to be able to do what I do now, or 10 years ago.

You really need more than just nexrad. Add a good strikefinder if you can.. radar is better but not practical on most singles.

...And if I cannot trust Century III manual then what I am supposed to rely on ?

You mean to tell us you prefer relying on a dog-eared paper manual over the informed, relevant, accurate, concise & precise digitally delivered information posted here on PoA? :eek:

It's a wonder your airplane hasn't fallen out of the sky. :rolleyes: :D

Back