hand controls or alternative control of cessna 172 brakes

Mani kavuru

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
breathe-philly
Does anyone have experience with modifying (either temporarily attaching or more permanently) the rudder/toe brake pedals on a cessna? Search comes up with "unio controls" as an old STC but would like to interact with someone with current experience with it;
specific issue is weakness in one leg; looking to adapt something so full brakes can be applied either with leg (as in a car) or with a can device; as you may know, the parking brake (which is applied to both brakes) is not particularly effective in a cessna;

thanks

This thread sounds like it belongs in the ‘Maintenance Bay’ sub-forum.

The question I have is, are you fit to fly with your condition?

thanks for the suggestion re. maintenance bay;
the answer to your question is yes;

I don't but trying to strategize; I tried a cherokee; the hand brake (with a separate hydraulic) was qite effective, nice; All my time is in a 172/182 so I am biased towards a cessna; this is only one factor in a decision;
never looked into the tri-pacer;
I am exploring modifying (or strengthening the existing hand brake in a 172; which is a simple mechanical contraption, that is not "mechanically advantaged" so it requires a great deal of pull to hold; oh well, all the fine adjustments we have to make to get 'er done!

Brakes? We don't need no stinking brakes. :)

Fascinating when you think of the engineering aspects; think about driving a car on the freeway or in NYC with bumper to bumper; and plenty of people (paraplegics) drive with off the shelf hand controls hand screwed onto a separate brake and accelerator; I understand they work just fine; no reason we should not be able to adapt! :) separately, the early planes did not have brakes!

If you like high wings and can live withe LSA limitations then the Remos has a hand brake. It’s also an efficient aircraft with roots in the glider world.

Back