Hammerfest

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Just got back from Llano today... Been at the hammerfest contest. Volunteered as registrar/scorer and didn't compete. There were 40 pilots that competed, gracious the days were long and hot. There were several people who flew primary in a great lakes... And several that flew in Debbie Rihns decathlon. So the primary and intermediate categories were mixed to allow for change up of students and climbs in slow draggy but graceful planes :) I got to meet Debbie, she came in her CAP 232 which is way cool to watch in the unlimited category and she is a wonderful lady.

I did get to fly a Giles 202 today for the first time :) very different from a decathlon!.... Plus 7 Gs and minus 3 Gs... Fast rolls straight and level and roles on an upline which when I did it became torque rolls and after a few tries I got the vertical upline set just right. After the unintended torque roll it was a crap recovery but ya'know that's ok it was funny and when it happened again I recovered better. I did a half roll on the vertical up followed by a hammer and plain hammers,immelmanns and a couple slow rolls just fine. And rolling on the downline was easy. Andrew snapped it and did a roller which I think was the neg 3 push. Honestly that was enough at that point. I'm not good at negative stuff and well, haven't been pulling Gs at all this year so I'd had it at 20mins. I flew about 15 mins of it... So next time I'll eat a proper breakfast (which would've helped) and I'll have, hopefully, increased my G tolerance so maybe I can make it 25 mins. Ha!

The hardest part, really, was getting out of it when we got back to the hangar
:lol:

If you want to see what the Giles looks like and videos of Andrew flying it go to www.carbonfiberairshows.com

Last edited:
Just got back from Llano today... Been at the hammerfest contest. Volunteered as registrar/scorer and didn't compete. There were 40 pilots that competed, gracious the days were long and hot. There were several people who flew primary in a great lakes... And several that flew in Debbie Rihns decathlon. So the primary and intermediate categories were mixed to allow for change up of students and climbs in slow draggy but graceful planes :) I got to meet Debbie, she came in her CAP 232 which is way cool to watch in the unlimited category and she is a wonderful lady.

I did get to fly a Giles 202 today for the first time :) very different from a decathlon!.... Plus 7 Gs and minus 3 Gs... Fast rolls straight and level and roles on an upline which when I did it became torque rolls and after a few tries I got the vertical upline set just right. After the unintended torque roll it was a crap recovery but ya'know that's ok it was funny and when it happened again I recovered better. I did a half roll on the vertical up followed by a hammer and plain hammers,immelmanns and a couple slow rolls just fine. And rolling on the downline was easy. Andrew snapped it and did a roller which I think was the neg 3 push. Honestly that was enough at that point. I'm not good at negative stuff and well, haven't been pulling Gs at all this year so I'd had it at 20mins. I flew about 15 mins of it... So next time I'll eat a proper breakfast (which would've helped) and I'll have, hopefully, increased my G tolerance so maybe I can make it 25 mins. Ha!

If you want to see what the Giles looks like and videos of Andrew flying it go to www.carbonfiberairshows.com

That sounds SO cool! Are there any other aerobatics competitions coming up? Sounds like a great way to spend a day, learning more.

Thanks for all you did to help make it a great contest! Do you know if anyone might have saved the unclaimed A forms? I did not get mine since I left early.

The Nationals will be up at KGYI near lake texoma in a couple weeks.

That sounds SO cool! Are there any other aerobatics competitions coming up? Sounds like a great way to spend a day, learning more.

The Nationals will be up at KGYI near lake texoma in a couple weeks.

Uffda. That's a ways away.

To put it in perspective, St. Louis, MO is closer to Oshkosh, WI than we are to Lake Texoma down on the island...

Uffda. That's a ways away.

To put it in perspective, St. Louis, MO is closer to Oshkosh, WI than we are to Lake Texoma down on the island...

It's a little over 2 hours in my pitts from SA. Come on, it would be nothing for an rv.:wink2: BTW, they will be holding the Unlimited World Aerobatic Championships at sherman/denison in October.

Jeanie,
That ride probably screwed you all up. You are not going to want to fly that Decathlon anymore :)

Jeanie, why no fly? Is your Super D down? Glad you made it to help out - can't have contests without volunteers! And don't let yourself be tempted by those boring plastic monoplanes. :D

Cessna150C: Yes, we have your A forms. you might contact mike carver the contest Director. I am sure they can mail them to you. Are you flying at nationals? This is Tom, right?

Jay: a contest is a good way to get to learn a lot. Especially if you volunteer as recorder on the judges line. Nationals and the worlds are the end of the season but if you look at the IAC website you can find the schedule for next year once it's posted.

Whiff: no, Rosy is fine. I let Glenn Watson of www.machpointoneaviation.com use her. He flew sportsman and it was his first contest with 13 folks in that category. He is an air to air and ground to air photographer. Really good. Anyway, when I saw the sequenc I decided I didn't want to work that hard this year in amongst the flying I do with my primary students. Maybe next year.

Pigpen: no, actually it made me appreciate Rosy more. I'm not really ready for the Giles. And it's too damn difficult to get in and out of for my poor ol' 57 yr old bod

Cessna150C: Yes, we have your A forms. you might contact mike carver the contest Director. I am sure they can mail them to you. Are you flying at nationals? This is Tom, right?

Yes, it's tom here. I am really hoping to make it to nationals. Gonna do my best to make it happen.

Jay; if you come up to Sherman for the National's event, be sure to allow time to come to DFW and allow the Dallas gang to meet up with you for hangar flying session.

Sounds like a really great time, Jeanie.

Yes, it's tom here. I am really hoping to make it to nationals. Gonna do my best to make it happen.

Well...there is a Tom with a Catto prop that finished 3rd in Intermediate, and won the Unknown at Nats this week. I think you must have figured out those half snaps pretty dang well. Congrats! Wish Denison wasn't a 9 hour flight for me from NC.

Well...there is a Tom with a Catto prop that finished 3rd in Intermediate, and won the Unknown at Nats this week. I think you must have figured out those half snaps pretty dang well. Congrats! Wish Denison wasn't a 9 hour flight for me from NC.

Thanks, all I can say is that the judges must not have been looking to close during my half snaps!

Back