Ham Radio

Back when I was active, I loved chasing DX. I spent a year in the Marshall Islands BEING DX, and that was a thrill. My favorite contacts have been with Antarctica, and Pitcairn Island. And I have talked with a few aeronautical mobile stations, too. One I remember was the off-duty crew of a long international 747 flight somewhere between Seattle and Japan.

Were you talking to them through the HF radio on board the 747?? If so, that's pretty cool!

IIRC at the time a Novice was only good for 5 years.

...but at least I learned code.

NOW GET OFFA MY LAWN! :D:
Now you don't even need to know the code. That requirement was eliminated. I wish they would have left it in for Amateur Extra. Seems like if we, the USA, are to have three license classes one of them should be with code knowledge demonstrated.

I stand somewhat corrected.

As of April 2000, no new Novice licenses are being issued, but valid Novice licenses at that time can be renewed indefinitely.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~rtoyama/hamclass.html

I believe the basic entry license now is the Technician class.
Yes that is true. And the Amateur Advanced class is no longer being issued but it too may be renewed indefinitely.

Below is the current licensing scheme.

Technician Class License. You can get an entry level Amateur Radio Technician license by passing a 35-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. The exam covers basic regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus on VHF and UHF applications.
Technician Class operators are authorized to use all amateur VHF and UHF frequencies (all frequencies above 50 MHz). Technicians also may operate on the 80, 40, and 15 meter HF bands using Morse code, and on the 10 meter band using Morse code, voice, and digital modes. No Morse code test is required.

General Class License. The General Class license offers a giant step up in operating privileges. The high-power HF privileges granted to General licensees allow for cross-country and worldwide communication.
Technicians may upgrade to General by passing a 35-question multiple-choice examination. The written exam covers intermediate regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus on HF applications. You must successfully pass the Technician exam to be eligible to sit for the General class exam. No Morse code test is required.
In addition to the Technician privileges, General Class operators are authorized to operate on any frequency in the 160, 30, 17, 12, and 10 meter bands. They may also use significant segments of the 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter bands.

Amateur Extra Class License. The HF bands can be awfully crowded, particularly at the top of the solar cycle. Once you earn HF privileges, you may quickly yearn for more room. The Extra Class license is the answer. Extra Class licensees are authorized to operate on all frequencies allocated to the Amateur Service.
General licensees may upgrade to Extra Class by passing a 50-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. In addition to some of the more obscure regulations, the test covers specialized operating practices, advanced electronics theory, and radio equipment design.
More detailed information about the privileges of each license class and requirements for licensing can be found at www.arrl.org/arrlvec/license-requirements.htm

Now you don't even need to know the code. That requirement was eliminated. I wish they would have left it in for Amateur Extra. Seems like if we, the USA, are to have three license classes one of them should be with code knowledge demonstrated.
I thought they did leave code in for the Extra Class? When did that change?

I'd like to see some tradition left in the hobby. It's kind of sad and sort of like relaxing the PTS for those who don't really want to work for the ticket. :(

I thought they did leave code in for the Extra Class? When did that change?
A couple of years ago I think.

I'd like to see some tradition left in the hobby. It's kind of sad and sort of like relaxing the PTS for those who don't really want to work for the ticket. :(
I agree.

I'm KB8KTC "Kill the Cat!"

Working on an APRS setup for the plane now. Other than that, I haven't been to active in any Ham radio. The new Digital radios look kinf of interesting though.

Back