Halfway there

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
Well, maybe a little more than half.

I've been quietly working on my instrument rating lately. I joined a club and I'm flying a 172SP that was a Sporty's sweepstakes airplane in the late '90's. It's even in some of the Sporty's training videos.

All is going well. I've been doing the headwork for the past 2 years, so most of the hard learning has been in the cockpit. I'm getting pretty quick at handling last-minute ATC changes in our DSM-IKV-DSM playground, and I've accumulated a pretty decent amount of actual time (starting and culminating with that ice encounter with Tony and Kent in the RG).

I wish I'd done the IFR thing sooner, but the reality is that I won't really be able to maintain the level of currency I want without owning an IFR airplane. Still, I love playing in the system, and it's all been pure fun for me. In fact, I'm making a point of flying an airplane with the ADF, just so I can say I did it.

I won't have the rating by Gaston's, but even with a hiccup or two, I should have it by OSH.

At Gaston's, I'll give C140 rides to any and all who will challenge me with "stage checks" in their IFR hot rods. I'm due for demo flights in P-Barons, S-2Cs, Stearmans, M20s, and anything powered by a Merlin or a round engine.

M

At Gaston's, I'll give C140 rides to any and all who will challenge me with "stage checks"

oo I feel a trade coming on!
What year 140? 140 or 140A? I rebuilt one years ago, and sort of miss it.

and....glad to hear of the training progress. A most satisfying rating.

The IR. For me, it was more challenging than the PPL. I loved the training, and I still love going up for challenging flights. The first time you fly through pouring rain, the first time you pop up over an undercast, getting to where you need to go on a low vis day, etc. So hard to describe to non-pilots.

oo I feel a trade coming on!
What year 140? 140 or 140A? I rebuilt one years ago, and sort of miss it.

and....glad to hear of the training progress. A most satisfying rating.
You're ON!. I used to own a 47 C140 and I miss 'er, N76112.

Good work Matthew. Go man go!

At Gaston's, I'll give C140 rides to any and all who will challenge me with "stage checks" in their IFR hot rods. I'm due for demo flights in P-Barons, S-2Cs, Stearmans, M20s, and anything powered by a Merlin or a round engine.
How about an IFR LSA?

Just stick an T&B in the foka, and get your gold/diamond alt cloud flying in a CB the old fashined way :D

I'm hurt, you left out at least one aircraft you're due a demo ride in. ;)

Excellent work on the IR! I'm glad you're enjoying it - I find it to be the most useful rating I've gotten to date.

Back