Half way home....

ferrari-tech

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ferrari-tech
At least I think....
smile.gif

I was supposed to do my PPL check ride yesterday, then with less than 24hrs to go the examiner asked if we could move the time back until the afternoon. Not possible as "my" plane was reserved for me all morning then in the afternoon was booked solid with other students.:mad:
So after chatting to my instructors we decided to split up the test and just take the oral section and do the flying another day....

Well I guess the examiner wanted to fill the whole time slot with something, that was the longest 3hrs of my life....holy cow you could have grown rice in the sweat pouring of me LOL

I felt pretty good about most of it, the stuff I thought I would mess up on, (airspace/clearances, weather etc) I must have done well because he only asked a few questions on each and moved right on to the next subject. My instructors said that is not like him as he normally spends an hour on charts and airspace.

He caught me a couple of times and hammered me, one was a question about, IAS,TAS,CAS,GS, after I had correctly giving the definition of each he gave me a scenario about flying at 100kts into a 100kt head wind and asked me how fast I would be flying ( cant remember if he wanted TAS or IAS) I stumbled a bit and he kept going and my mind just went blank, I couldn't have told him my name if he asked it.:dunno: What he was getting at was wind has no effect on airspeed...I worked it out eventually.

The second was on the spin acronym P.A.R.E. I told him with great confidence Power, Aileron, Rudder, Elevator.
Super he said now what do we do with them ? now in my head in a spin your headed vertically down, It didn't occur to me that the PTS has you in a flat spin, so naturally if your in a dive you would pull back on the elevator, not what he was looking for...he got pretty mad about it, ask me how I recover from a stall, no problem with that, finally he said say pull back one more time and we are done,:mad2: so I said push forward.... and he moved on...only later talking to my instructor did the flat spin thing come up.
frown.gif

The rest of it went well, he liked that I had planned two routes to our "destination" and my explanation of why I would do that (changing weather along the coast), the fact that I have put some personal check lists on my aircraft check list (IMSAFE, GOOSEACATS etc).
With that all out of the way he said, ok you passed the hard part now we need to go flying. I offered to just let him watch one of my gopro videos of me doing maneuvers etc and he said wish it was that easy.
Of course the other bummer about him not making our original appointment ( which he picked over a month ago and confirmed on Friday) is that the plane I fly the most (G1000 C172s) is now in the shop for its annual ....guess it takes two weeks, I could use the steam gauge plane, which I fly just fine (maybe even better), but not being as familiar with it probably wise not to use my check ride to practice.

So as always seems to happen when I get to "landmark" point in my training something pops up to delay the next step, I did 12 hours between my first and second solo's because my instructor was ill and the others couldn't sign me off for solo, and another 10 before I could start my cross country's because of weather, always something, but I will keep on flying and gaining experience, I expect I will be close to 100hrs when all said done, not worried about that, I think I will be a much safer pilot having spend 80-90hrs with an instructor than I would have been had I pushed to try to make the test at the minimum 40hr mark..
Hope to get it done sometime in September

Fun read! Good luck.

I have two flights left before my checkride. Today was the 7th weekday afternoon I've been scheduled to fly and had to cancel for weather. West Central Florida has been unbelievably raining in the afternoon this summer. My schedule typically doesn't allow mornings or weekends, so I just keep trying.

congrats man!

I feel you...I've got about 50 hours logged now and was tracking to finish this summer (started in December of last year) but had all kinds of stuff come up. Work travel, our planes annual (I'm 1/4 owner in a Cherokee) which took almost a month, my CFI vacation and travels to visit his family at home...he left right before we were going to try for my solo flight...so I had to do all the maneuvers with another CFI before I could even solo. He almost did it to me again - leaving for 2 weeks on vacation - before my night solo so I could get signed off to do my solo XC's and luckily he was available that night as well. So, we flew almost 6 hours in one day doing a dual XC during the day then all the night XC and landings that night. Then weather kicked my butt (was gusting like 20 every day I could fly for several weeks) and now I'm in this weird limbo with all my training hours complete and trying to get my work schedule to cooperate with my taking the written and then figuring out what to do with a few mock checkrides and then scheduling it. Now I'm hoping by the end of Sept but now I have 2 weeks of work travel scheduled in there. Ugh.

I'm in no hurry - just frustrating to hit all the setbacks...it just 'feels' better when it's flowing...

Anyway, good luck man - I'm certain you'll pass the flying part and have your ticket when you can finally make it up.

Last edited:
Hey good job! I did my check ride in two parts over two days. I'd totally recommend it to people. It makes the test far less stressful. My oral was like half as long as yours though!

Go out and nail the flying part! You are 50% of the way to joing the small but awesome club of licensed pilots!

Back