Half Dome

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Tell me about hiking it, which airport is closest. Just playin' with the idea.

thanks
omgosh, 800 people a day. I hope to go in the off-season then!

It snows in the park every month of the year. The Tstrms up there can also be quite dramatic. Lightning strikes are frequent, not necessarily on Half Dome. You do NOT want to be on Half Dome during a Tstrm.

Best time of year is after Labor Day but before end of Sept. For the more serious adventurist, early to mid Oct is acceptable. I have stayed out of the valley except for Oct-Dec. Call ahead to see when planned closure of Half Dome is. Call the valley, not the generic NPS site.

Slight thread drift...

I was on an airline flight a couple weeks ago and the pilots announced that they were going to bank it over so that we could see Yosemite Valley out the left side (which I was sitting on). That's the first time that I can remember being on a flight where they did that. It was not coincidental either as I am familiar with that route. Plus they banked once and then turned back to the route.

Thanks Richard; the attendance graph agrees, big drop off in visitors just after Labor Day. The video is pretty dramatic and describes the issue with weather pretty well. It would have to be near perfect before I'd go on the cables. Surprised no mention of winds; maybe they're never a problem?
Overall it looks like a serious undertaking. I'd want to train a bit and even camp, make it a 2-day trip.

It really isn't a big deal to clamber up Half Dome. That assumes no extenuating medical conditions.

I've been up Half Dome about a dozen times. I don't recall winds being a factor. What I do recall, and having witness from far across the valley and from the other rim, is the Tstms pop up. Like in the SW desert, pop-ups form out of clear air sometimes within minutes. It is amazing how raw nature can be.

I think paying attention to winds aloft and the jet stream would provide you more information. Because of the altitudes of the surrounding peaks, you should gather insight of the 'big picture' for any multi-day exposure to the back country. To be clear, Half Dome is sorta a quasi-back country experience; easy access but heightened exposure.

I'd think by the time you realize winds can be a factor it is already too late and you best have already found cover. heh heh

I say Go! but as always keep an eye on the weather. After all, it is prudent.

Last edited:
Flew up and over Yosemite Valley (over Tioga Pass) last year enroute to Colorado.

Half Dome in the distance (a bit hazy that day)

P8130075.jpg

The Top

P8130084.jpg

No biggie, I've watched guys free climb it Labor Day weekend. No doubt there is an airport in Merced, don't know about any closer. Sectional will show you that. Go for it. You'll probably need a permit or something to stay in the valley overnight though.

As with any national park, as long as you stay away from the places that have a road/parking lot right next to them, you won't run into many crowds. When I was hiking in Yosemite I was surprised how few people would venture more than 10 minutes from their cars.

This is from a few years ago. My younger son and I drove to Glacier Point while my wife and older son made the Half Dome climb. First timers, they did very well.

(I love that kind of physical exertion. I could sit and watch it all day. :) )

Family-1990s-02098.jpg

Last edited:
I hiked up to Glacier point not knowing there was a road. Oh well, it was a good hike in good company (very pretty scandinavian girl).

Yeah the only problem with flying in to Mariposa is that there is nothing there, which could be problematic if you need a rental car. Personally I'd fly in to Mammoth (MMH) which is on the other side of the hill from Mariposa, but still about the same distance from the center of the park.

Yeah the only problem with flying in to Mariposa is that there is nothing there, which could be problematic if you need a rental car. Personally I'd fly in to Mammoth (MMH) which is on the other side of the hill from Mariposa, but still about the same distance from the center of the park.

The County Web site claims that Mariposa Aiirport has rental cars on site again, although I heard on the Red Board that they are no longer affiliated with Hertz.

http://www.mariposacounty.org/index.aspx?NID=86

http://forums.aopa.org/showpost.php?p=1403582&postcount=23

Last edited:
I hiked up to Glacier point not knowing there was a road. Oh well, it was a good hike in good company (very pretty scandinavian girl).
Hahaha, that's a pretty good story. I did that same exact thing and for that exact same reason. Except no VPSG.

Sure was surprising to walk across all these people at the top.:dunno:

Couple of bad accidents on the Dome and the waterfall behind it in the past couple of weeks... A coworker took an amazing photo of the dome and the two waterfalls behind it (one at 300' and another 600' drop), I'll see if he'll send me a copy and I'll post it. Apparently three guys went off the waterfall (still haven't found their bodies) when they tried to "shortcut" by going across the stream. And a lady fell 600' off the dome. Beautiful place, gotta treat Mama Nature with respect!

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 18
Pine Mountain Airport (E45) and the Cub Inn. Might want to investigate tranportation to the Valley a little more closely though. Check out the comment from 3-July 2009 :wink2:

I have seen women up there trying to get to the top wearing open toed leather soled sandels. Perhaps NPS has made it too accessable.

Back