Hail in Dallas, 6/13/12

I can't believe it, we got nothing at the house.

Of course we got pounded a couple of months ago with baseball size.

Crazy year for weather.

Some of my direct competition was in that storm path. Likely lots of sheet metal inventory has been turned unsellabble.

And two major auctions (Copart and Manheim) are there. Not good for my supply lines if they got zapped really hard.

I can't believe there is any inventory left. I see so many cars on the road absolutely hammered with hail dents. Any car outside in our neighborhood got at least $10K in damage.

The only good news for us... now all those low rent, trashy, roofing salesmen will pack up and move over there and we can have some peace.

Oh, plenty of mechanical items. But the local collision shops don't do panel beating any more. Just scratch, shoot, and hang.

Recently sent out a trunk lid to a Service King location that I told them had a few small spots that needed some attention and any northern body guy accepts and fixes without question. Maybe an addition hour of paint prep work. They accepted it from my delivery driver without comment.

2 days later I get a phone call saying they are rejecting my part and went with a brand new one at twice the price, please come get yours. What I got back had so many circles and arrows that it rivaled both the photos used in Arlo Guthrie's littering trial and would have mad a great trick football play for Tom Landry's Cowboys.

Sigh.

Fortunately, I've built my biz on the mechanical end and use the collision repair industry for the added profit.

And I will admit to using our "golf ball = lift" explanation to tell adjusters that the car now drives faster and will get an extra mile or two of gas mileage.

I could hear hail hitting the roof of my office building (14-story); that was new.

Looked like snow in places, all the hail.

As I drove home, the hail was worse and worse, trees stripped of leaves and cars with broken windows. I was aghast at what I'd find when I got home, especially damage to my wife's new-to-her car.

About 1/4 mile from home, all hail debris ended. It did not hail at the house. Remarkable.

Took my sister to the airport to fly home to Australia - Qantas delayed departure a couple of hours for hail damage inspection on the 747.

Any other PoA'ers unaccounted for? Glad you guys didn't get hit directly. Doesn't sound fun.

Luckily,no hail here at Kessler Park in Oak cliff,just a brief shower.

There were 70 to 80MPH winds in Bonham and Miss Piggy, in a non enclosed hangar, got pushed around into a Mooney that was not centered in its spot.:mad2: Made some cosmetic damage in the vertical stabilizer.:mad: My IA is supposed to inspect the mechanism today.

So, for now, Miss Piggy has a sore tail.:rolleyes:

snapped a radar pic at that time:

Attachments

• oh hail.JPG
    oh hail.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 43
Got some at my house but not like the Lakewood area. I was in jui jitsu and didn't notice a thing there until I drove home. Sorry for those that were in the areas hit harder. Sure is spotty as to where this stuff hits. Huge cells in places I could see driving around, but not where I was when I was there. Best, Dave

I forgot to mention that since about early February I have been keeping my Mom's car at Grand Prairie Municipal and flying over there a good bit. We got her out of rehab Saturday before last and I drove her car to her house and put it in the garage.

I read that some of the worst hail was at Carrier and I20. That is close enough to the airport that Carrier is pretty much under the downwind for 17.

I'm glad I didn't have to guilt out about her car.

Thanks Denver. It could have been worse. I'm trying to decide now whether or not to file an insurance claim.

What occurred might be just what was needed to get even better performance out of her...

We live in Lakewood. My wife's car now looks like a golf ball. Didn't smash the windshield though but we don't know why. The stones were the size of tennis balls. Fortunately the airplane was in a hangar.

We live in Lakewood. My wife's car now looks like a golf ball. Didn't smash the windshield though but we don't know why. The stones were the size of tennis balls. Fortunately the airplane was in a hangar.

I was thinking of you and Scott when the Newsies said KRBD was in the path of the storm.

BTW, did you ever fill up your partnership?

I had hail damage on one of my cars when it was maybe 18 months old. The 'dent guy' at a good local body shop pulled them all out a couple of months later. I was initially concerned that the paint may blister off eventually, but now 5 years later there is no trace of that happening. So even though it looks like a golfball, it may be fixable.

I had hail damage on one of my cars when it was maybe 18 months old. The 'dent guy' at a good local body shop pulled them all out a couple of months later. I was initially concerned that the paint may blister off eventually, but now 5 years later there is no trace of that happening. So even though it looks like a golfball, it may be fixable.

The talented "paintless dent repair" guys can do a really good job as you describe. The challenge for us is to find them. There are many out there that say they do good, but have seen some of their results... The hail dents looked better.

If you go the PDR way, might want to do your research on the net to find reviews of the company or have the insurance company have control of the repair. With the insurance company, they have a responsibility to ensure the results meet or exceed standards.

The talented "paintless dent repair" guys can do a really good job as you describe. The challenge for us is to find them. There are many out there that say they do good, but have seen some of their results... The hail dents looked better.

They seem to have a bit of an artists streak and work independently from the body shops. The local shop I used was recommended to me as the place that does a lot of the insurance work (rather than going with one of the guys who set up in the shopping center parking lot after a hailstorm). Took about 4 months to get on the schedule but once I brought it in, they were right on time with the promised turnaround. There are limits of what they can do, dont know what depth is repairable via PDR.

snapped a radar pic at that time:

We were in North Dallas right under the purple when the cell came through. My wife's new car has a little hail damage, but nothing the PDR guys can't fix. I'm not going to complain given the news reports about Lakewood.

I haven't been down to RBD but I trust the hangar kept the plane safe.

Curious as to what the velocity of hail might be, I googled, and found this on Wikipedia:

Terminal velocity of hail, or the speed at which hail is falling when it strikes the ground, varies by the diameter of the hail stones. A hail stone of 1 centimetre (0.39 in) in diameter falls at a rate of 9 metres per second (20 mph), while stones the size of 8 centimetres (3.1 in) in diameter fall at a rate of 48 metres per second (110 mph). Hail stone velocity is dependent on the size of the stone, friction with air it is falling through, the motion of wind it is falling through, collisions with raindrops or other hail stones, and melting as the stones fall through a warmer atmosphere​

With the reports of baseball sized, that had to be coming down at, what, 55-65mph? That would be a serious bump on the noggin if it hit you.

The average baseball is C=15.7" and W= about 0.3#, for a density of .0046#/cu". The average baseball pitch is 75-100mph

One of the largest hailstones in the U.S. was about C=18.5" and W=1.9# for a rough estimate of density~ .018#/cu". Speed for hail varies widely but we'd expect one of baseball size to be going about 30mph.

I hope no one minds me posting this here, but since this thread has the attention of the North Texas pilots:

Is anyone going to be at the Denton airshow tomorrow?

I hope no one minds me posting this here, but since this thread has the attention of the North Texas pilots:

Is anyone going to be at the Denton airshow tomorrow?

I wish. I am in Taos or I planned to be there.

I was thinking of you and Scott when the Newsies said KRBD was in the path of the storm.

BTW, did you ever fill up your partnership?

Yes, four of us own a 2007 DA40XL (N704PA) based at KRBD. We hangar with Jet Center. The airplane was not exposed to the hail.

Curious as to what the velocity of hail might be, I googled, and found this on Wikipedia:

Terminal velocity of hail, or the speed at which hail is falling when it strikes the ground, varies by the diameter of the hail stones. A hail stone of 1 centimetre (0.39 in) in diameter falls at a rate of 9 metres per second (20 mph), while stones the size of 8 centimetres (3.1 in) in diameter fall at a rate of 48 metres per second (110 mph). Hail stone velocity is dependent on the size of the stone, friction with air it is falling through, the motion of wind it is falling through, collisions with raindrops or other hail stones, and melting as the stones fall through a warmer atmosphere​

With the reports of baseball sized, that had to be coming down at, what, 55-65mph? That would be a serious bump on the noggin if it hit you.

A good size hail stone can kill a cow.

Back