Hail damage Vs value

muddy00

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
muddy00
so I think for some unknown reason that I want to buy a plane. I'm looking at late model Grumman tigers. Seem to be nice responsive planes decent speeds and great fuel burn.

I found a couple pretty much set up with everything on my list of must haves. One of them has some minor hail damage on wing tops. What does this do to value ? With the exception of replacing skin is there any way to get the dents Out ?

I found a couple pretty much set up with everything on my list of must haves. One of them has some minor hail damage on wing tops. What does this do to value ? With the exception of replacing skin is there any way to get the dents Out ?

With the Grumman my worries would be the bonded seams, I'd want it inspected by one of the few shops that specialize in them. un less it is a polished one, its a bondo and repaint.

For me, if it was significant damage, unless it got a reskin I'd pass.

Think there was some magnetic device for pulling minor dents from planes, don't think it was for large scale hail damage, not 100% sure though.

It has depreciation for sure. If it's on the control surfaces, show stopper unless reskinned.

Have heard that unless it makes the plane unairworthy, insurance doesn't payout on it.

minor is it only a few dents or are there more but very shallow? a friend has a 172s with some hail dents on the wings/stab. plane flys fine.

if the price has been adjusted down some for the damage, fly it. if you decide to paint it someday, fill the dents and now it's smooth.

no dents in control surfaces though, that's a no no,

I have like 3 hrs in a tiger, ergo I'm an Internet expert. fun plane. I wish the seat adjusted up/down.

Back