Had ta happen. Saw a Chicago cab get a pedestrian.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I was walking back to the office when I saw about 1/2 block ahead: a 20-something girl blithely stepped into the street when the walk signal came on and the Ford Crown Vic cab that was doing the usual 45 mile-an-hour its-not-really-a-red-light-yet hit her. He had slammed on the brakes and she bounced off of the right fender but went down near the front tire. When I got close she was being helped up and was limping. There were plenty of bystanders there so wasn't anything for me to do...like I could offer to call 911 'cause I'm the only one there with a phone, :rolleyes: and I was far enough away to be a lousy witness.

She prolly will be sore. I think she had iPod earphones on which caused the oblivousness.

Regardless, we learn that you don't figure a Chicago cab will stop until 3 or 4 have passed through the crosswalk on the red. It is always open season on pedestrians for Chicago cab drivers.

This was on wide-wide-wide Wacker Drive where the time between the walk signal and the flashing Don't Walk is about the same as the time between a hotel maid's knock on the door and throwing the door full open. We're talking nanoseconds.

One more former cab driver at O'Hare bound for Jordan. :mad:

Last edited:
This was on wide-wide-wide Wacker drive

What an awful thing to see (and hear)! Ironically named street, given what happened.

We were in Seattle down by the waterfront one year (went back to visit family/friends), and the 'walk' light turned white... my twelve-years-old-at-the-time daughter, Abby, stepped off the curb and took a step, and I was about to follow, when the husband of the family that was with us (who I was actively engaged in busy conversation with) suddenly reached past me, grabbed the back of her shirt and lifted her in a swinging arc back to the curb, all in a split second, so fast it was a blur; and as my mind was still registering the "what are you doing?" we were all buffeted by the air moving off the 20' box truck carrying seafood that blasted through the space where she had just been standing moments before... as he ran the light a good 5 seconds after red, doing 45 or better.

I had to sit down on the curb, shaking (her, too) and almost lost it right there... hug your kids today (or anybody you love), everybody. You just NEVER know.

What an awful thing to see (and hear)! Ironically named street, given what happened.

We were in Seattle down by the waterfront one year (went back to visit family/friends), and the 'walk' light turned white... my twelve-years-old-at-the-time daughter, Abby, stepped off the curb and took a step, and I was about to follow, when the husband of the family that was with us (who I was actively engaged in busy conversation with) suddenly reached past me, grabbed the back of her shirt and lifted her in a swinging arc back to the curb, all in a split second, so fast it was a blur; and as my mind was still registering the "what are you doing?" we were all buffeted by the air moving off the 20' box truck carrying seafood that blasted through the space where she had just been standing moments before... as he ran the light a good 5 seconds after red, doing 45 or better.

I had to sit down on the curb, shaking (her, too) and almost lost it right there... hug your kids today (or anybody you love), everybody. You just NEVER know.

That happeend to writer/director Lawrence Kasdan ("Silverado") in L.A. A woman, a complete stranger pulled him back as he was daydreaming and was about to plowed down by a city bus. She just gave him a smile as he looked at her as they finally crossed. He put that into his movie "Grand Canyon."

I kinna win.

Remember when I said that Chicago cops never make traffic stops any more? Guess who got proved wrong as he popped the clutch in the Mustang leaving a light at 2AM finally driving it to the new home after a L-O-N-G day? :mad:

You're wrong. My license plate sticker was expired. But a rumbling gold Mustang GT convertible does tend to get attention.

I probably was the first guy the cop stopped in months who had an actual license, proof of insurance and a bond card. He did ask where I lived and how long. Dats right, Ritchie, I don't have to buy (3!) $75 city stickers any more! Woot! It would have $150 each to get them late.

I was never a a fan of red light cameras until I began watching how many folks don't seem to care the light is red; if anything, they step on the gas. I'm near a busy intersection in north Dallas and have heard several loud collisions while out walking my dog.

The other day, I went through a light as it turned yellow. Looked in my rear view mirror to see the guy behind me proceed through; he clearly could have stopped. Then, the guy behind him went through--dead red for several seconds. Then, the guy behind him came right along.

I don't go on green anymore if I'm number one at an intersection. When the light turns green, I look both ways first. Did that on my motorcycle one day to find a lady in an SUV careening through the red and turning left; would have been right into me.

It's crazy to post police officers at these intersections. We can use their time for much more important things.

So, now I'm a believer in red light camera. May not be as fair, but these folks that don't seem to care are forcing them on us.

Best,

Dave

I was never a a fan of red light cameras until I began watching how many folks don't seem to care the light is red; if anything, they step on the gas. I'm near a busy intersection in north Dallas and have heard several loud collisions while out walking my dog.

The other day, I went through a light as it turned yellow. Looked in my rear view mirror to see the guy behind me proceed through; he clearly could have stopped. Then, the guy behind him went through--dead red for several seconds. Then, the guy behind him came right along.

I don't go on green anymore if I'm number one at an intersection. When the light turns green, I look both ways first. Did that on my motorcycle one day to find a lady in an SUV careening through the red and turning left; would have been right into me.

It's crazy to post police officers at these intersections. We can use their time for much more important things.

So, now I'm a believer in red light camera. May not be as fair, but these folks that don't seem to care are forcing them on us.

Best,

Dave
If the cameras are used as a replacement for a PO needing to sit there, I generally agree. When they fool with the timing of the lights in order to increase revenue, my support suddenly vanishes.

And yes, always look before you take off from a green light!

Best,

Dave

I'm with you on all points - I didn't like the idea of the "eye in the sky" and still don't to some extent. At the same time, I've observed the same thing you have.

I also don't go through an intersection immediately after the light's turned green - I take a half second and look both ways and if something looks questionable I sit and wait.

I've gotten yelled at by people with Texas tags for doing that. :D

There's one on the route to my Chicago home. It flashes when it takes a picture. I'm very aware and careful not to even come close to entering on a yellow.

The amusement is when you watch the maroon in front you roll through and see the flash. BUSTED!

Thery're supposed to have a version for stop signs. That could cover all the revenue requirements in Chicago even with the corruption tax.

There's one on the route to my Chicago home. It flashes when it takes a picture. I'm very aware and careful not to even come close to entering on a yellow.

The amusement is when you watch the maroon in front you roll through and see the flash. BUSTED!

Thery're supposed to have a version for stop signs. That could cover all the revenue requirements in Chicago even with the corruption tax.
Unless they give cops a pass! They're the masters of the rolling stop!:rofl::yes:

I was very pro-red light cameras until I got a ticket and saw their "photo evidence." Of the three photos, you can't tell I'm out in the intersection at all in the first two. In the third, the car is indeed in the intersection but it's the size of a about two square millimeters in a 1.5"x1.0" photo with no means to provide an enlarged, high resolution version. It was a left turn where I'm supposed to be behind a semi where there's no chance to see the light but all other indications are I still have a green.

I've come to believe they are largely there for income generation, nothing more. The only way you're going to do something about red light runners is to have real tickets with very stiff fines and points. And, if it happens to cause an accident, the fine is enhanced as are the points. Do it and cause a traffic death, lose your license!

Make handheld cell phones illegal and you'll also do a lot to cut down on running red lights. In fact, my simple, everyday, common sense observation on traffic changes in Atlanta as a courier over the last dozen years tells me... if they make handheld cell phones illegal, congestion will decrease 10-15%. The idea goes hand-in-hand with the concept... "Fly the airplane, first."

Sorry to jump to red light cameras. Just need to do something. No matter what you do, it will have strengths and weaknesses. We have a real shortage of peace officers. Seems crazy to put these folks through all this training; then, have them park at intersections because people won't do what the law states.

I agree with all of the above. Some places will misuse them and I'm sure there will come a time when I mistime something for get caught in a situation where I'm in an intersection late, but if it gets some of these crazies to pay attention, it's a step in the right direction.

Best,

Dave

Nobody in my home town stops at stop signs. There ARE some cameras now.....

I nearly got creamed in Mexico City today - I don't think I was in actual danger but the light turned and there were tons o' cars coming at me all of a sudden.

They DO post police officers at many intersections - most of the ones I saw today as a matter of fact. then again there are so bloody many cars here (and casual observation says that 75% or more of them are taxis, with another 15% a piece of crap... near the hotel where I am staying are the 10% which are Beemers and Volvos etc.)

If the cameras are used as a replacement for a PO needing to sit there, I generally agree. When they fool with the timing of the lights in order to increase revenue, my support suddenly vanishes.

I am anti speed limits, but very pro-intersection cameras. if people know how to drive and pay attention to what they are doing, "speeding" (also known as going with traffic) isn't dangerous - running red lights is.

Unless they give cops a pass! They're the masters of the rolling stop!:rofl::yes:

EVERY ONE of my upscale former neighbors are masters. They don't even tap the brake.

Leeme tell ya 'bout last weekend. It's all one way streets. I'm eastbound. As I come up on the all way stop intersection, I see a northbound car turn east onto my street ahead of me. I make a full stop. I wait as two SUVs and a Mercedes carrying the local MBAs barrel right through their stop sign bumper-to-bumper and turn east ahead of me. Why not, right? The other guy is waiting for us to go!

It's as bad out here. We're bumper to bumper in traffic and watch as a young something blows through his stop sign and forces his way in.

Last edited:
There was a recent study in Northern Virginia about the red light cameras. They concluded that they made the intersections slightly safer in a couple of areas, but somewhat LESS safe in others. The ones that were less safe showed a marked increase in rear-end collisions where folks stopped suddenly as the lights turned yellow and were rammed in the rear by another car that expected the first car to complete its trip through. Overall, across all the lights studied, the results were a wash, safety wise. Revenue was enhanced, though.

I probably was the first guy the cop stopped in months who had an actual license, proof of insurance and a bond card...
Officer Eric Jackson estimated that 75 percent of the motorists he pulls over in traffic stops in the Gresham District are driving despite suspended or revoked licenses.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-both-impound13jul13,1,3003367.story?coll=chi-news-hed

So...

Aldermen advanced a measure Thursday that would mandate impoundment of cars and trucks driven by motorists with revoked or suspended licenses despite warnings by Daley administration officials that the city's pounds could not handle the thousands of vehicles a year that would be taken off the street as a result.

Citing overriding safety concerns, they said the city will have to open new pounds and hire more employees. The aldermen said the return from the measure would bolster the city treasury and the proceeds would at a minimum offset the cost of the expanded impoundment effort.

Besides the $160 towing charge and daily storage fees that can rise to $35 a day after five days, violators would pay a fine of $1,000 under the proposed ordinance.

What goes unsaid is besides it costing thousands to get your car back how any valuables and valuable vehicles mysteriously disappear in in the Chicago police auto pound. How can that happen?

And then after a couple of weeks they "auction" off your car and in another mystery the tow contractor and the employees often win the auction...and get a $40,000 SUV for the $150 value of it as scrap metal.

I am anti speed limits, but very pro-intersection cameras. if people know how to drive and pay attention to what they are doing, "speeding" (also known as going with traffic) isn't dangerous - running red lights is.
Except for how some of the red-light cameras are operated, I'd agree with that. I'll take it a step further. It's the slow pokes who sit in the left-center and left lanes that cause more problems than the speeders. Well, those and the idiots who keep jumping back and forth in the lanes.

I'm glad you saw the girl LIMP AWAY from that accident. My first accident with the rescue squad way back (way back) when I was in college was three pedestrians hit by a car. It's something that sort of sticks with you...like seeing what happens when people don't wear seatbeats.

ter

I learned that one real quick when I started riding motorcycles, 1st in line, light goes green, look left, right, left, clear the intersection, then make no haste getting across the intersection. Just watch for that left turner in the oncoming lane, who may take your delay as an invitation to go ahead and make that left turn.

Motorcycling, two wheeled high stakes chess. I don't know why I do, but I love the game.

I learned that one real quick when I started riding motorcycles, 1st in line, light goes green, look left, right, left, clear the intersection, then make no haste getting across the intersection. Just watch for that left turner in the oncoming lane, who may take your delay as an invitation to go ahead and make that left turn.

That's another thing my old neighbors don't need: the invitation. They just hit the gas first go full throttle and you WILL wait until they complete the left turn. Once in a while I hit my gas pedal, too.

Ditto that. The two problems with cameras are the inability to finger the actual driver creating the need for legislation that allows holding the vehicle owner responsible for the actions of any driver (setting a very bad precedent IMO), and the typical for profit company that provides the "service" have little or no incentive to be accurate, fair, or even honest. Like many other undesirable situations (running red lights), this "solution" is as bad as (or worse than) the problem but since it "appears" to offer an improvement it's looked on favorably by folks who don't think it through.

Now if the camera systems were regularly tested and certified by an independent agency as to the timing of the picture taking and the timing of the light was not altered to improve the profit margin (the usual cry from the camera supplier is "we can't make this work economically unless you adjust the lights a bit") and especially if the camera supplier was held accountable in a big way (say a $50,000 fine for every timing or ID mistake or non-compliant camera) then I might see a viable solution in this concept. But I'd still fear the escalation of the "automated bandit" concept to other aspects of law enforcement.[/quote]

That's something I try to be religious about because as a g force junkie, I tend to blast away from intersection stops if I'm in front. But you really should also look both ways when approaching a green light unless you can see that all crossing lanes are blocked by stopped cars. I came within 20 feet of getting T-boned on a (long time) green light while driving on a 60 mph divided highway when a guy ran the crossing without even slowing down. I caught his approach in my peripheral vision and with max braking managed to make him miss me. He gave no indication that he ever saw me or the red light.

That's something I try to be religious about because as a g force junkie, I tend to blast away from intersection stops if I'm in front. But you really should also look both ways when approaching a green light unless you can see that all crossing lanes are blocked by stopped cars. I came within 20 feet of getting T-boned on a (long time) green light while driving on a 60 mph divided highway when a guy ran the crossing without even slowing down. I caught his approach in my peripheral vision and with max braking managed to make him miss me. He gave no indication that he ever saw me or the red light.

Let's generalize, then, because that can happen at a stop sign or unmarked intersection, too. Always scan both directions when crossing an intersection, driveway, etc.. Heck, it's SEE and AVOID! :yes: I was once in a school bus that wound up on its side in a ditch because some maroon backed out of the driveway onto a busy street and hit us.

The rear ending is interesting. It seems to show that the people in the rear aren't watching the car immediately ahead; they're more focused on getting through the intersection. Is that what others think? If so, that seems to be a training issue.

Not to diverge again, but I see folks roll up to stop signs looking to see if things are clear before they come to a complete or even a near stop. Once again, on a motorcycle, I saw a lady barreling up from my right and looking as she approached a stop sign; it was apparent she wasn't going to stop. She did see me at the last minute, but it was after I braked and swerved.

There are a lot of folks out there that can't do two things well at once! That's why they're supposed to stop; then, look before proceeding. Most people don't; it's slow roll time. Scares the bejesus out of me to see the front tires moving as they come up on my right if I'm on the right-of-way and they have a stop sign. Many times, I just can't tell if they're gonna stop or not. Many also stop out in the intersection; not near the stop sign. How am I supposed to know what the heck they're doing? It really takes the ability away from me to anticipate because so many folks are just rolling or stopping too far out past the signs. If I slow for every one of them, I'll get rear ended!!

I know I'm gettin older, but I just don't understand what the hurry is. Makes maybe a two minute difference is someone getting somewhere. Most of the times, I see the lane changers next to me at the next stop light, but they make everyone else's life miserable.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
This was on wide-wide-wide Wacker Drive where the time between the walk signal and the flashing Don't Walk is about the same as the time between a hotel maid's knock on the door and throwing the door full open. We're talking nanoseconds.
This reminds me of that Emo Phillips joke ...

"I was standing naked in the middle of my hotel room when the maid came in ... finally." :D

Today in Chicago. Car ahead of me is stopping and signaling that they want to a parallel park. I stop. There's a car oncoming on the opposite lane so any thought I had of driving around are gone. Dude behind me hits his horn and drives around all of us and makes the oncoming car panic stop to avoid a head on collision.

Just another day in da jungle.

Today in Chicago. Car ahead of me is stopping and signaling that they want to a parallel park. I stop. There's a car oncoming on the opposite lane so any thought I had of driving around are gone. Dude behind me hits his horn and drives around all of us and makes the oncoming car panic stop to avoid a head on collision.

Just another day in da jungle.
Situational awareness. Most drivers are too busy doing other things to have any.
While stopped at a traffic light, an emergency vehicle on a run was approaching on the cross street. I waited through the green only to hear the horns of the cars behind me.
When did it become legal to ignore sirens?

Situational awareness. Most drivers are too busy doing other things to have any.
While stopped at a traffic light, an emergency vehicle on a run was approaching on the cross street. I waited through the green only to hear the horns of the cars behind me.
When did it become legal to ignore sirens?

That's most amusing when they honk AT the emergency vehicle, like an unmarked police car.

As we've has here before fire engines and ambulances are being ordered to stop at lights now, because common sense has done flown da coop.

Back