H.R. 4441 User Fee Question

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Hey guys. I got a quick question about user fees in the latest FAA Reauthorization Bill. I know that AOPA and most of you have a zero tolerance policy towards imposing user fees on anyone in GA even when it won't likely affect you guys. But I know you guys feared that once user fees are in place for one part of GA, user fees will spread to other and all parts of GA.

I'm just wondering if there are any provisions or language in the bill that promises only one part of the GA will be affected by user fees and won't spread to other parts of GA? Like is there any promise that under no circumstances will user fees be spread to all of GA?

Promises are irrelevant. Congress can change the rules any time it wishes. The only court of last resort, with little or no chance of overturning the decision is the Supremes.

User fees are how the American people bend over and tell the government, "hey...just the tip". And we all know how that goes :yesnod:

Once the govt gets another revenue stream,they will exploit it to the fullest. If you believe they won't expand the fees to all,good luck.

Just remember that GA pilots are, for many of the uninformed, 1%-ers.

I read a proposal a few years ago where it suggested that pilots count up the takeoffs in their logbooks and annually self-report and pay for use of the nation's airspace. (Very much like the proposals to cover the loss of gasoline fuel taxes as a result of improved fuel economy.)

Give them an inch and they'll take a foot, then a yard, and then a mile. Remember that the income tax, when originally imposed, was supposed to be temporary.

Our law makers can't think ahead for even one complete congressional calendar, let alone beyond their next election. What makes you think using user fees to disincentivize private aviation for the common folk wouldn't become the next great idea for the pro-commercial aviation backed politician?

This is why the NRA promotes "common sense" gun laws while having a "zero-tolerance" toward federal gun registration, increased background checks, and limits on magazines and semi-auto weapons. The "slippery slope" does (and will continue to) exist!

Our law makers can't think ahead for even one complete congressional calendar, let alone beyond their next election.

Sure they can!!

How do you think that they make sure that their payraise and retirement agenda is ALWAYS kept?

Our law makers can't think ahead for even one complete congressional calendar, let alone beyond their next election. What makes you think using user fees to disincentivize private aviation for the common folk wouldn't become the next great idea for the pro-commercial aviation backed politician?

This is why the NRA promotes "common sense" gun laws while having a "zero-tolerance" toward federal gun registration, increased background checks, and limits on magazines and semi-auto weapons. The "slippery slope" does (and will continue to) exist!

You realize that the proposed laws wrt background checks, etc are seriously deficient wrt "common sense", don't you?

Back