Gyroplane/Gyrocopter speed, useful load, and safety

Interesting opinions. We manufacture American Ranger (AR-1) gyroplane in Florida. In the past we have designed and manufactured trikes and airplanes for the LSA market.

Lets start with safety. In theory there is no stall and hence no loss of control which is the biggest killer in airplane world. Gyroplanes also should have an advantage in emergency engine out situations because they can land with close to zero roll on the ground. There is a height-velocity curve which tells you how the safe airspeed you should have at low altitudes. Basically in most current production models you could have close to 0 IAS at 300 feet AGL and be fine. We have in our testing demonstrated 250 feet AGL but we officially write 350 feet AGL for average pilot technique.
A recent analysis by a magazine that restricted itself to what it called modern gyroplanes showed that there have been 6 fatal accidents and in terms of fatal accidents that safety record was on par with airplanes statistically in NTSB records. There have been accidents in the past with what we would not term modern gyroplanes. This article was I believe published in Powered Sport Flying magazine may be 6 months ago (?). Training is an absolute must. I can't even fathom how someone can think its ok to fly them because they fly airplanes.

There are much more efficient ways of going from A to B if that is your ultimate goal but in terms of recreational flying and fun and being able to handle windier days and thermals while flying low comfortably, they are better than airplanes their size or many times their size in fact. Though they can cruise the same as a Cessna 150 (close to 90 knots) and their payload is generally better than C150/152 usually in the range of 530+ pounds for a 2 seat gyroplane. Fuel burn is 4.5 to 6 gallons per hour on usual cruise of 85 to 105 mph.
Technically speaking gyroplanes should be able to achieve faster speeds than helicopters restricted by retreating blade stall being the technical limit in either but the main market right now is light sport so spending design and research $$ on a jump takeoff, 150 knot gyroplane is not economically viable but perhaps as demand arises, it may become viable.

Gyroplanes are steadily a growing market in the US. We received 22 orders for our first year of production of AR-1. My educated guess is that there is soon going to be a market for about 100 to 120 gyroplanes a year in the US. Currently the number is about 70.
http://www.silverlightaviation.com

Another dumb question.

First off, sorry about my layman terminology.

Wondering about Gyrocopter/Gyroplane speed/useful weight and safety.

I know I can ask over on a rotary forum (Hey Vance!), want opinions from a different group.

Seems like some of the Gyros have same engine but not the speed or useful load of a Cessna 15x or 172, What limits the Gyro speed and useful weight compared to fixed wing?

Safety wise, I've seen the videos from www.sportcopter.com showing short takeoff and very short landing, think there is a link to engine out safety also.
Seems like the very short landing capability adds to safety, no?

Other than folks thinking they don't need instruction ( duh... ), seems like there are two big issues.

The rotor blades can slap and hit the propeller. Can't a bar be put over the prop to avoid this? Still not good but couldn't it be survivable?

The rotor disk can be put into a negative flow where the rotor blades cannot start again, turning into an unrecoverable situation. Oh crud at 4000' knowing you are going down with no hope.

Is there a reasonable way some sort of chute could be fitted to a Gyro, what with two different sets of blades spinning?

Ok Luke the gyroplane can only fly at a speed less than the retreating blade speed to avoid a retreating blade stall. If you have a centerline trust gyroplane it is almost impossible to do a powered push over, but if you push the cyclic forward radically and cause a negative g movement the pushover will occur and is almost always fatal. That being said forward cyclic such as that is not ever used no matter the circumstances. All cyclic movements are slow and smooth. Now as for speed the Carter copter a gyroplane reached 300 knots due to its design, however it was damaged on it's second flight due to a hard landing and the company had decided to move on to another model so they never repaired it for flight again. No most gyros are not super fast about highest cruise is 120mph but that still is better than traveling by car and much more fun. Now as for price you can go from $43,000 for an open cockpit to $140,000 or more for a 2 place side by side enclosed cockpit model. BTW a bar on the over the prop would not work because if you have blade slap and fail to control it you are going to damage either the rotor or the prop I would rather lose a prop and gently float down than lose a rotor that slapped a bar and fall down. Then again if you are flying along and pull the cyclic back that far you are already in trouble to begin with you are going to lose rotor rotation.

Back