Gyrocopter goes down in SE MO

Seems like there is critical mass with gyrocopters up that way. There was a bunch at the KCGI airs how this year. I'm tempted to get some dual time.

Flying low enough over someone's farm to catch the power line serving the house or barn (it's being reported both ways). Apparently the pilot didn't know the property owner. It'll be interesting to see how the FAA handles it.

Pilot had only minor injuries.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/26047419/gyrocopter-crashes-in-cape-girardeau-county

Wires are the nemesis of rotor wing aircraft. General rule of thumb is to never fly lower than the observed poles or towers, and never fly in the vicinity of poles and towers.

When in doubt, do a high recon and check the area followed by a low recon. If that does help, don't go there.

Situational awareness is everything in rotorcraft.

Word I heard on this one was he was buzzing the farmer, the farmer the whole while pointing up trying to warn him of the wire! Ended up with a burn mark on his neck too from what I hear, extremely lucky!

We just had one go down this past Wednsday.. (That officer standing there is a friend of mine and also a Powered Parachute Pilot so I'd say he's credible).. So when he asked what happened and the injured Gyro copter pilot told him he had just purchased the thing on the side if the road and decided to take it out an try and taxi it.. With no experience ever in anything that flys... Well he then got going too fast and got airborne.. Pitched up and down twice before slamming straight into the dirt!!

You can't make this stuff up!!
image_zps2c38f3d2.jpg

Wires are the nemesis of rotor wing aircraft. General rule of thumb is to never fly lower than the observed poles or towers, and never fly in the vicinity of poles and towers.

When in doubt, do a high recon and check the area followed by a low recon. If that does help, don't go there.

Situational awareness is everything in rotorcraft.

I also understand that flying low over rivers is another activity that can snag a wire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back