Gyro overhaul recommendations

Rudy can turn one around in a day or two http://www.rudyaircraftinstruments.com/

If you need a "get by" AI, I can send you one free of charge but it's the upside down Piper variety. I hated the "upsidedown-ness" and had mine replaced yesterday.

Last edited:
Rudy can turn one around in a day or two http://www.rudyaircraftinstruments.com/

If you need a "get by" AI, I can send you one free of charge but it's the upside down Piper variety. I hated the "upsidedown-ness" and had mine replaced yesterday.

Rudy's does excellent work, price wise is cheaper than the big shops. Mike is very knowledgeable and he does a fast turn around.

Highly recommend!

I've sent to Rudy's in the past as well, no complaints to be made.

Situation changed -- gotta have it TOMORROW. Only two places I found with an RCA 22-7 in stock ready to go were Berkshire in Montrose CO, and TGH, and TGH wanted $505 vs $375.

IMG_0575.jpg

My primary AI decided to take the day off a couple of months ago, but then came back to life and hasn't given me anothe problem since. It's less than good when the two AIs in the airplane don't agree. I'm also looking to get this replaced.

Situation changed -- gotta have it TOMORROW. Only two places I found with an RCA 22-7 in stock ready to go were Berkshire in Montrose CO, and TGH, and TGH wanted $505 vs $375.

I have used TGH and they are great.

Got the unit from Berkshire yesterday. Installed today. Constantly bounces up and down by about two degrees. Not happy. Will call on Monday.

I replaced my DG a few months ago with a rebuilt one from Aircraft Quality Instruments. Everything I heard about them was good and I was not disappointed either. Here is their website: http://www.flyaqi.com/

Another vote for Quality Aircraft Instruments.......................IF...........you can't get it done on your home field.

Shipping a gyro is like shipping eggs. They quite often get tossed around and broken by the shipping guerillas.

Albeit my experience is a very limited sample size of overhaul vs new, I'll go with new. The price difference isn't worth the hassle/risk of a premature case of the leans.

Got the unit from Berkshire yesterday. Installed today. Constantly bounces up and down by about two degrees. Not happy. Will call on Monday.

Cheap, isn't.

I had my DG OH'd at Rudy, Took a little longer than quoted but seems to work well. Got a new AI from AQI (the tail shaft was bent on my old AI and Rudy did not have a replacement) and they had it out to me the same day. Next time I will go straight to AQI.

Albeit my experience is a very limited sample size of overhaul vs new, I'll go with new. The price difference isn't worth the hassle/risk of a premature case of the leans.

From everything I have read an overhauled unit as long is it is done properly is just as good as new. Even a new unit can fail prematurely. The price difference is significant though. For the DG I replaced last year a new unit would have been around $2000 and an overhauled one was $395.

I've had a number of overhauls done by Castleberry Instruments and they were all 100%.

I am UK based but the instrument repair scene here is the pits and I won't touch it anymore.

Mid Continent are also IMHO a bit suspect on QA. I had a KI256 overhauled by them which seized after 200hrs, with bearings gone.

Berkshire said to send them my original gyro which they'll "rebuild" and then they'll send it back to me and I can send theirs back to them. Stay tuned...

Berkshire said to send them my original gyro which they'll "rebuild" and then they'll send it back to me and I can send theirs back to them. Stay tuned...

If your smart you will send back their defective one, get a refund then go get a reputable overhaul.

JMO

I have had a total of one instrument overhauled by Rudy - they were prompt, reasonable and it has worked fine for the year since. Statistical sample of One.

But, my A&P has used them for years, and swears by (not at) them.

YMMV!

Back