GX50 satellite UTC doesn't update.

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
So this is a strange one. I've been having issues lately with establishing GPS position on startup, and RAIM not available alarms. So I did a general GPS reset that is supposed to re-establish the GPS's position. I get a full 31 satellites visible, and get data from 9, more than enough to get a good 3D position. But the Satellite UTC time display on the unit always remains 10/10/1998! I've tried it three times, it never updates.

Fortunately I have a backup unit on the shelf I can plug in that will update everything, including the current UTC time. And I can still hold onto this unit for parts as the screen is in good shape, but I'm wondering if anyone else might know something about this problem?

I just replaced my GX50 with a replacement after the screen died. I get very occasional RAIM errors, but assume the time is updating as I haven't seen any error messages related to that. Is it possible for the user to update the software version on these devices (not the approach data)? If so does anyone know the procedure for that and/or where to download the most recent version? I wonder if having the most recent release would help us with these type of issues.

I just replaced my GX50 with a replacement after the screen died. I get very occasional RAIM errors, but assume the time is updating as I haven't seen any error messages related to that. Is it possible for the user to update the software version on these devices (not the approach data)? If so does anyone know the procedure for that and/or where to download the most recent version? I wonder if having the most recent release would help us with these type of issues.

I never got any error message for the UTC time either. I found it by running through the GPS sensor selections on the Sys menu with the large ring when doing a RAIM prediction after the GPS sensor update. Might want to check yours if you've been getting a lot of RAIM errors.
I understand you can still get the display software updated by a Garmin dealer to Ver.3.5 which makes the unit legal for IFR. Don't believe system firmware is update able at this point. I may just call Garmin AT about this, and see what they have to say.

Last edited:
Hmm, have to check the time then based on your input. I know it took forever and a day to lock the first time I installed the new one, maybe 30 minutes or so, but it's quick now.

The first cold start to find a satellite solution without an up to date almanac can take a VERY long time on older GPS units.

Once the GPS figures out where it is and then updates the almanac data, it stores it, and start ups after that use that information from flash memory to speed the process up considerably.

You may need ground power and to park it where it can see the sky and just leave it for quite a while that first time.

Could also have a memory problem that’s exhibiting itself as RAIM and the unit can’t store information it wants to, but it doesn’t sound that severe from the description so far.

Back