GX 55 upgrade...?

capg2000

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Capt. Gary
Wanting, not needing to upgrade from a gx55 GPS to a newer Garmin. Any ideas any suggestions appreciated does anybody know of anything that is a plug n play slide in fit? That would definitely save me on install fees.

I don’t think any of the new units are slide-in replacements, but the GPS175 is the same size in the radio stack, 2” tall by the normal 6.25” wide. That will be your cheapest option, but the indicator will need to be changed to one with glideslope for IFR.

Hi Jesse, I currently have a GS on my #1 nav/com a KX155. Cant that GS indicator be used, or dos it have to a a Garmin piece...?

If you are spending money on a newer unit, you’re better off getting a WAAS unit. The glideslope indicator can be moved over. You would have to install a switching relay system to use both units on the same indicator. It can be done, but it’s a lot of wiring.

I replaced my Apollo gx55 with a waas garmin 175, easy install. I had room to add a dedicated gps cdi for ifr. User interface on the 175 is light years ahead of the gx55. I am happy with it. Only thing I wish was to have gotten the version with comm, as my 2nd comm is acting up, but that would have complicated the install and + 2amu before additional install cost

Pic of my panel with the 175. I have since swapped positions of the gps cdi to be up on top.

Attachments

• 01BDC9DB-4FCC-47DE-A92A-BD9ACF5C2226.jpeg
    01BDC9DB-4FCC-47DE-A92A-BD9ACF5C2226.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 72
I replaced my Apollo gx55 with a waas garmin 175, easy install. I had room to add a dedicated gps cdi for ifr. User interface on the 175 is light years ahead of the gx55. I am happy with it. Only thing I wish was to have gotten the version with comm, as my 2nd comm is acting up, but that would have complicated the install and + 2amu before additional install cost
Hey! That install of the gps, what was the major work they had to do in order to replace the old Apollo with the 175? Was it a slide in replacement?

Not a slide in replacement. But roughly same size thereby not creating a lot of repositioning other electronics.

Hey! That install of the gps, what was the major work they had to do in order to replace the old Apollo with the 175? Was it a slide in replacement?

The simplest way to do it is to build a short harness that plugs into the existing connectors from the GX to the HSI or whatever nav head is in the panel. You have to change the tray, but the depth of the 175 is much shallower than the GX, so you have a lot more room to work behind it. Depending on your panel layout, you may need to install a couple annunciator lamps.

Do you have an ACU installed? If not, the install is cake. If so, it's also cake, it just takes another connector. If you want to share a nav head with a VOR receiver, don't get a 175, the switching relay and associated work isn't worth it. Just buy a GTN or Avidyne.

Chip, could you elaborate on the extra connector needed if keeping the ACU in place when swapping a GX50 out for a GPS175? Sorry I don't yet have the Garmin install manual in hand, but I'm looking at the GPS175 pin-outs in the maintenance manual and the diagrams from the GX50.

Back