GX-50 vs GPS-150

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Rob58, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Rob58

Rob58 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rob
    While saving up for a new generation GPS I am looking at installing an early model GPS unit. Trying to make a decision between the GX-50 and the slightly newer GPS-150 series. I understand that the GX-50 was an Apollo designed unit but I don't really understand if the Garmin GPS-150 (or 150xl) is fundamentally better or worse in terms of performance and reliability. Both units can be had on the used market for about the same cost. Of course King is another option. Any feedback on the pros and cons of each unit is appreciated!

2. Chip Sylverne

Chip Sylverne En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fear is the poison of our lives.
    Jepp has announced Garmin is killing database support for the GX in June. Not sure about the other, you might want to check.Too bad, good, if dated, navigator.

3. bradg33

bradg33 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Esquire99
    I'll make you a really good deal on a GX50 with a perfect screen, indicator and a spare parts unit. I'll also provide a sample 337 for the IFR installation approval. You won't be able to get new databases after June, so it arguably won't be approach legal after that, but it'll still be IFR enroute legal. Was removed in perfect working order from my airplane a couple weeks ago for an upgrade.

4. Chip Sylverne

Chip Sylverne En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fear is the poison of our lives.
    Just as an aside, a Garmin tech rep on the Beech board has said that Garmin is considering extending that deadline due to the crush on avionics shops installing ADS-B equipment prior to the deadline. Don't know if anything will come if it.

simtech likes this.
  5. Challenged

Challenged Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Challenged
    Is the 150 IFR certified or VFR only? The airplane I sold a few months back had a GX50. I liked the unit but it's unfortunate that there will no longer be database support (as mentioned above). If you're looking for the cheapest panel mount GPS, you may want to look into the KLN90B unit, as it's approach certified and still has database support I believe. A quick e-bay search has them for ~ $600.