GX-50/60 GPS Programming

poadeleted20

Deleted
Anyone know a fast way to bring up a new airport/approach? After reading the book and working the box, I have found no way to convince the GX-50 that I want to fly an approach at an airport other than that currently at the end of the active flight plan, nor a fast way to clear the active flight plan so I can put in where I want to go fly an approach. All attempts to D-> the new airport result in that new airport being inserted ahead of the current destination, and the box's insistance that I fly an approach at that destination, not where I D->'d to. The only way I've found to make it happen is to create a new flight plan to my desired destination and then activate it -- pretty cumbersome. Any ideas?

Anyone know a fast way to bring up a new airport/approach? After reading the book and working the box, I have found no way to convince the GX-50 that I want to fly an approach at an airport other than that currently at the end of the active flight plan, nor a fast way to clear the active flight plan so I can put in where I want to go fly an approach. All attempts to D-> the new airport result in that new airport being inserted ahead of the current destination, and the box's insistance that I fly an approach at that destination, not where I D->'d to. The only way I've found to make it happen is to create a new flight plan to my desired destination and then activate it -- pretty cumbersome. Any ideas?

I haven't used a GX-50 or 60 for several years but I think you have to change the destination airport on the page that has the flightplan name. Try pressing FPL, rotate the small knob CCW until the first page of the flightplan appears. At that point maybe you have to hit SEL or something else to highlight the destination airport name and then you can change it. I've probably left something out but maybe this will be enough of a clue.

It's been a few years,.. but I seem to remember..

Press direct to... enter your airport.

Press select, and load the approach.

I've been flying the Garmin too much recently (if there is such a thing) but I'll give it a shot.

1) Press FPL, this should take you to the active leg (it'll say *ACTIVE* on the top row)
2) Press SEL.
3) Rotate the small knob until the bottom line says "Clear Waypts?"
4) Press ENT.
5) Press -D> and enter the new airport.
6) Do whatever you need to load the approach - I don't know much about this 'cuz I flew a GX55.

Let me know if this works. If not, you can find the manual here.

Over on the red board, Paul Sanchez led me to pages 7-8/9 in the manual, where it says how to solve the problem.

Thanks for all replies.

Over on the red board, Paul Sanchez led me to pages 7-8/9 in the manual, where it says how to solve the problem.

Thanks for all replies.

Wow... While my method is something you'd have to do every time, the method on those pages allows you to change the basic behavior of direct-to. Interesting. Thanks for posting your solution too! :yes:

I learned something else yesterday -- the August 2003 GX-50 manual which the client has (based on software version 3.4) isn't particularly accurate for a GX-50 with version 1.22 software, which may explain some of my frustration. In particular, that option discussed on pages 7-8/9 ain't there. Client is calling around to find out about updating the software (or maybe just replacing the box with a GNS 430).

I learned something else yesterday -- the August 2003 GX-50 manual which the client has (based on software version 3.4) isn't particularly accurate for a GX-50 with version 1.22 software, which may explain some of my frustration. In particular, that option discussed on pages 7-8/9 ain't there. Client is calling around to find out about updating the software (or maybe just replacing the box with a GNS 430).

I learned via email from Jepp this weekend that the older Trimble TNL-2000 series GPS will no longer be able to be updated after the end of 2008. Looks like I shall have to replace my #2 GPS, as it will be impossible to use it under IFR after that date.... guess I'm going to end up with 2 430's, at least while THEY are still supported.

Sending it back to Garmin's Oregon office (the old UPS/AT) would probably be the best bet. I can't remember if I needed any SW updates when I sent my GX60 there for repair when the screen died, but I seem to recall they updated it with hardware mods.

-Rich

Back