Gustav gonna be bad

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I figured I'd start a less-flame Gustav thread.

NOLA mayor Ray Nagin has ordered evacuation from NOLA and said that there will be no emergency rescues for those that stay behind. The highways are jammed with people leaving and they have buses loading and skeedaddling this time. He also said there is no last resort emergency shelter. The Superdome will not be open.

Yeah right. There will still be 20% left and dramatic video from choppers.

FEMA says they're on site with supplies, equipment and personnel.

We hear here that the Illinois National Guard has already sent a chopper and troops.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Dallas school districts sent a contingent of buses south to help get people out of there.

The storm sort of fell apart crossing Cuba and still hasn't gotten organized yet. Deep convection is limited to the SW quadrent and the center is wobbling around only occasionally forming an eye. The next 24 hours are going to be interesting. If it gets organized watch out. If it stays disorganized things wont be nearly as bad but I'd still think twice about Labor day camping on the Gulf coast.

If NO flooded again, would there be the will to rebuild it again? Just wondering. And I hope Gustav doesn't get reorganized.

If NO flooded again, would there be the will to rebuild it again? Just wondering. And I hope Gustav doesn't get reorganized.

Will yes. US Federal funds....*sigh*....yes.

You know how the feds bought up flood plain land, and entire towns, along the Mississippi and the EPA buys up houses in chemical disaster zones like Love Canal? They should do that to the low lands in NOLA, and permanently fill 'em with water to make Lake Pontchartrain bigger. :rolleyes:

I'm personally very sad that this is going to happen again. I have a close personal connection to NO and having personally witnessed the recovery from Katrina I'd hate to see it undone. This might be the wave of our future. If it can stay below a Cat 3 NO might be alright.

My incident management team from the west coast is being mobilized and we will likely be deployed unless the forecast changes :(

I'm not trying to make this a flaming post, but as I watched the evacuation over the last few days, which appears to be entirely state and locally driven, I wonder why this wasn't done for Katrina? It's not like hurricanes were new to the region.

Yet, the blame has been layed at the foot of the federal government, and of course George Bush.

It seems to me if the state and local governments had actually done their job three years ago, Katrina would have been just another serious hurricane, and not a cause celeb for all the Bush-haters out there.

To want to rebuild it again wouldn't we actually have had to rebuilt it from Katrina?

Good point Scott. I was doing business in New Orleans East (9th ward area) a couple weeks ago and the devastation today, while not near as bad as 3 years ago, is still quite sad. I was surprised at the amount of folks still residing in FEMA trailers and the amount of damaged buildings still sitting idle.

To want to rebuild it again wouldn't we actually have had to rebuilt it from Katrina?

We don't want to. I don't want to flush my money down that toilet again. Pay 'em to relocate. If you stay, no fed funds to rebuild. One man's opinion.

We don't want to. I don't want to flush my money down that toilet again. Pay 'em to relocate. If you stay, no fed funds to rebuild. One man's opinion.
I didn't want to see it rebuilt the first time.

Here's an interesting METAR. I guess when they say "everybody leave!", they mean it:

KMSY 010153Z AUTO 01010KT 10SM FEW060 25/23 A2978 RMK AO2 TSE0058RAE16B33E45 SLP086 LAST AUGMENTED OBSERVATION UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE P0000 T02500228 TSNO

And here's the current TAF. Anybody want to do some crosswind practice?

KMSY 312323Z 010024 04007KT P6SM VCTS FEW008 SCT045CB SCT090 OVC160 FM0500 05020G30KT P6SM VCSH OVC015 FM1000 05040G60KT 1SM +RA OVC015 FM1400 07055G70KT 1SM +RA OVC015

Last edited:
Let's not rebuild after the next California wildfire, the next Mississippi flood, the next west coast earthquake, the next massive terrorist strike to NY or Chicago. Lets not rebuild after mudslides in the Cascades. We can all pull back to those supposedly safe places and make the rest a national park :yes: Of course when we have a Madrid fault earthquake, we won't want to rebuild there either, or when the hurricane wipes out Miami again, or maybe Charleston. If the shelf slips we won't want to rebuild Manhattan or DC, too risky :no:

Let's not rebuild after the next California wildfire, the next Mississippi flood, the next west coast earthquake, the next massive terrorist strike to NY or Chicago. Lets not rebuild after mudslides in the Cascades. We can all pull back to those supposedly safe places and make the rest a national park :yes: Of course when we have a Madrid fault earthquake, we won't want to rebuild there either, or when the hurricane wipes out Miami again, or maybe Charleston. If the shelf slips we won't want to rebuild Manhattan or DC, too risky :no:

I'm glad we're on the same page!

Actually, NO is different. It is a city 18 feet UNDER sea level. And, I don't see those in the California hills, the Mississippi River Valley, or the Bay Area as helpless as those in NO. I can't quite understand why people are STILL living in government temporary housing 3 years later. :dunno: Yet that doesn't happen in Florida, and other areas prone to natural disaster.

Okay, I'll rephrase my earlier statement.

Let's not spend tax dollars from the rest of the country for one area of the nation that knowingly sits and remains in a flood plain BELOW sea level next door to the sea. It's one thing to build levies to hold water back from a river rising above its normal flow. It's quite another to build a levy around a city that sits 35 feet below sea level and would forever be under water were it not for those levies.

As for those who build in a fire-prone area, as long as it's with private dollars, more power to 'em. The same goes for those who live in flood plains that rarely flood.

Someday, the New Madrid Fault may rupture. But, even that is a far cry different from an area that is exposed to hurricane threats EVERY year. Besides, the New Madrid Fault gave us the beautiful Reelfoot Lake. New Orleans only gives us parasites.

Back