Gulf Coast plane crash

I'm sorry, but taking aerial photographs? The pilot is the only one mentioned as being aboard. Aviate, navigate, communicate, photograph?

gprellwitz said:
I'm sorry, but taking aerial photographs? The pilot is the only one mentioned as being aboard. Aviate, navigate, communicate, photograph?

Depends on how automated the equipment is....

gprellwitz said:

Yes that is the proper order.

I know what you're thinking but, I've found over the last decade during hundreds of hours of aerial photographics for the mountainflyingvideos.com website both with and without copilot assistance for flying &/or filming, it's often (not always) easiest, and safest, to just do it yourself as PIC, even with manual equipment.

The benefits primarily come from eliminating the communication link completely from the pilot's ANC priority sequence for purposes of co-ordinating the aviate and navigate elements of the photographic leg of the flight, thereby simplfying the mission tasks significantly in many instances.

gprellwitz said:

Yep, pretty much that's how it works. It's nice when you hve someone else who can either take the pics of fly, but often that's out of the budget.

Talk about a walk in the past..

As a kid I grew up around Mendon. Know the place well. Lived in Fishers, went to school in Victor.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Dave Krall CFII said:
Yes that is the proper order.

I know what you're thinking but, I've found over the last decade during hundreds of hours of aerial photographics for the mountainflyingvideos.com website both with and without copilot assistance for flying &/or filming, it's often (not always) easiest, and safest, to just do it yourself as PIC, even with manual equipment.

The benefits primarily come from eliminating the communication link completely from the pilot's ANC priority sequence for purposes of co-ordinating the aviate and navigate elements of the photographic leg of the flight, thereby simplfying the mission tasks significantly in many instances.

The latest article said the photography was completely automated leaving the pilot free to concentrate on flying the preplanned route, so I suspect that the distraction of taking pictures wasn't an issue here.

Back