Guitar Hero has ruined classic rock. :-(

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Does anyone else here get the mental picture of the scrolling guitar bridge when hearing classic rock on the radio?

I'm sitting here with Pandora going in the headphones and heard the intro to "Slow Ride". Immediately, my mind started thinking of how to play it on Guitar Hero III.

So sad...

Video may have killed the radio star, but Guitar Hero killed classic rock.

i don't think it killed it. i actually like hearing songs on the radio that i can play on guitar hero.

That's what's sad. I USED to think about how to play them on a REAL guitar. Now instead of frets and fingers, all I see are red, yellow, and blue dots and lightning bolts.

That's what's sad. I USED to think about how to play them on a REAL guitar. Now instead of frets and fingers, all I see are red, yellow, and blue dots and lightning bolts.

LOL!!! That is whats sad, not remember'n the good times when that tune was play'n, only think'n of that ____ game that I suck at.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I hear the songs I look at my wife and kids and think......"oh thank God you didn't know me then".:rofl::rofl::rofl: Just a joke.

At least it hasn't turned to elevator music...yet. Once that happens it's done.

Yes, every Guitar Hero song now evokes Guitar Hero when I hear it on the radio. Doesn't bother me, though, I think Guitar Hero revived classic rock as much as it gave it a peculiar new set of visuals and redefined the appropriate fingering during air guitar motions.
-harry

The radio station here plays the Guitar hero repertoire...not vice versa...drives me nuts...

I don't know much about Guitar Hero or any video games. It sounds really lame to me. Having played guitar in rock bands from High School through my 30's, I don't see the attraction. If you want to play guitar, play a real guitar.

Guitar Hero is a game played on video consoles, like Wii or Xbox. You have a plastic "guitar" with 5 colored buttons on the neck, and a single "strum" switch on the body. You play notes by holding down the correct button (or set of buttons for a "chord") with your left hand, and strumming the strum switch with your right hand.

On the screen, the "notes" to play stream down the screen, you have to hit the right notes at the right time, by pressing the buttons of the specified colors and strumming. The notes correspond, roughly, to notes of the song playing in the background, which is likely to be a classic rock song from the 70s or 80s. The notes are typically very simplified as compared to the real song, they just mimic the timing of the song.

In recent versions, you can form a whole band, with a couple guitars, a drum kit, and a microphone, and everybody has to do their thing at all the right times.

Hard to explain, sounds boring in text, but it's obvious to learn, and a whole lot of fun.

It has nothing to do with playing real guitar, it's just a fun music-themed video game. Another one of those things where 12-year-olds make you look bad by doing things that you have previously demonstrated to be impossible for humans to do. When you encounter the 12-year-old who has invested thousands of hours into practicing the game, and has achieved an impresario level of skill, you will be tempted to say "you should just learn to play a real guitar", and he will roll his eyes at your amazing level of dorky totally-not-getting-it'ness.
-harry

I am cowbell hero!!

cowbell-hero.jpg

I don't know much about Guitar Hero or any video games. It sounds really lame to me. Having played guitar in rock bands from High School through my 30's, I don't see the attraction. If you want to play guitar, play a real guitar.

That puts you at odds with many, many big-scale rockers out there. Check out any tour bus and you'll see the guys jamming on Guitar Hero. There was a great article in the WSJ of all places a while back talking about the popularity of the game with some of the biggest names in rock.

Sorry I'll stick to my Rickenbackers, Fenders and Gibsons through Marshalls, Fenders, or Vox amps. For Who fans I might go Hiwatt. :D

Oh yeah and for that Ventures sound Mosrites.

Sorry I'll stick to my Rickenbackers, Fenders and Gibsons through Marshalls, Fenders, or Vox amps. For Who fans I might go Hiwatt. :D

Oh yeah and for that Ventures sound Mosrites.
I am now running a Sadowsky through a Genz Benz with an Ashdown cab. I was running Ashdown amp but I like the Genz with the tube preamp. My guitard is playing Gibson Les Paul through a Crate tube amp, a really nice bluesy sound.

Of course the banjo is still all acoustic!

What I really hate are the cheap Fenders with the massively overdriven and distorted crap through any amp. You know the sound I am talking about if you have walked through a Guitar Center any Saturday when all the teen-apes are in there seeing if they can turn it up to 11!

I used to change the channel when "Barracuda" came on. Now I turn it up. I can rock that song on the Wii-tar. :D

Sorry. Sounds gay.

Its just a game. A bit more hi-tech than pick-up-sticks or jacks. It's not a put-down to guitars or music. It's just entertainment, the kids like it and I don't mind play'n w/them. They beat the ____ outta me on it, but when it comes to sports i rock their world!:rofl::rofl::rofl::cornut:

the mario game is good, so is thrill .......something. I don't know. Gives the kids a chance to beat up on me......then I send them to bed.:D

Relax people, these are just games.

How about Hee-Haw? Banjo comes to my mind.

Having the guitar, bass, drums, and microphone are really fun to play with a big group. There are a lot of great songs to sing to and it is just a lot of fun!!

The disconnect between Guitar Hero/Rock Band and the actual music is pretty obvious. But just in case... here are two bands failing miserably at their own songs. :D

Rush - Tom Sawyer

Kiss - Detroit Rock City

There's a South Park where they start out with Guitar Hero, and then get into Heroin Hero, and finally have to start Rehab Hero.

I've never actually played GH in person, but a lot of people I know just love it - even a few guys who are professional musicians.

I hear the drums (in Rock Band) on the highest level are fairly realistic. (at least, as compared to the guitars)

I thought Karoke ruined classic rock. But maybe that's just me.

LOL!!! That is whats sad, not remember'n the good times when that tune was play'n, only think'n of that ____ game that I suck at.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I hear the songs I look at my wife and kids and think......"oh thank God you didn't know me then".:rofl::rofl::rofl: Just a joke.

At least it hasn't turned to elevator music...yet. Once that happens it's done.

Dude, I heard Stairway to Heaven as performed by the 1001 violins in an elevator just the other day. I think the first time I noticed it was over a decade ago.

Rock is dead. Has been for years.

"The place is really jumpin to the Hiwatt amps......."

Back