Guiltless old TV pleasures

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Last year I bought "The Avengers" DVDs for the '65 and '66 seasons of the TV series starring Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee. It was purchased as a mutual holiday gift for my wife and I. We both got a kick out of watching those old shows - campy fun from a show that never took itself seriously. Watching 1 or 2 shows a week made the gift last a while. The '67 and '68 seasons are on this year's gift list.

I'm also tempted to get either season 1 or 2 of "Have Gun - Will Travel" after watching a few episodes on Youtube (the poster claimed the copyrights had expired, but I checked and they had not. Not surprisingly they were later pulled.) Season 2 is supposed to have a lot more episodes written by Gene Roddenberry. I don't want to OD on old TV series, so I need to start being particular.

Got the whole set of Rumpole of the Bailey and enjoy them a ton.

We also love the old time radio shows on Sirius Radio.

Cheers

There is a local channel, WETA UK, that airs all of these old british tv shows. They are hilarious. "Last of the summer wine", "Fawlty Towers", "Allo Allo" to name a few.

What I love about older American television shows are the familiar, younger faces of Actors that had bit parts in these shows that went on to be pretty big celebrities in their careers.

Get Smart. I have the boxed set. I always thought some day I would name a pair of dogs Max and 99.

"Love That Bob" with Bob Cummings. Cummings worked his own Twin Beech into the plots of several episodes. Characters in comedy subplots were given names of some of Cummings' real-life aviation pals, such as Bill Lear and Frank Tallman.

Lots of pretty girls, too!

:yes:

"Twelve O'Clock High"...at least the first season.

"What am I supposed to tell them, Wiley? 'They can kill you, but they can't eat you'?"

Ron Wanttaja

Combat with Vic Morrow. Always interesting to see the FNG show up for week or at most two before he was MORT. :eek:

Cheers

Cadfael with (Sir) Derek Jacobi was good.
Monty Python!
I have a Tivo wishlist set for things with "plane", "aviation", etc., and it will sometimes bring up old shows on Me! like Emergency, Dragnet, Outer Limits, I Spy! etc. and it's fun to see how general aviation was treated in those shows.
Of course, you can't forget about Sky King!

I DVR Twelve O'Clock High and Combat. Local cable channel is nothing but oldies. I did manage to catch a few mission impossible, Peter Gun, Rockford files, Car 54 and Emergency.

Carol Brunette, I love Lucy, Happy days all good stuff. The more I look at modern society the more I think Archie Bunker was right..... ;-)

Last edited:
Got the whole set of Rumpole of the Bailey and enjoy them a ton.

Cheers

Great show! ...and I wasn't even alive when it was aired.

Those old radio shows come in handy on long road trips - for some reason they keep my mind occupied enough that it delays or stops road hypnosis or fatigue. I was surprised when my wife downloaded some radio shows like "Tales of the Texas Rangers" to her iPod and played them in the car while we did long stints in the car. I had no idea what to expect - the stories were generally pretty good.

Combat with Vic Morrow. Always interesting to see the FNG show up for week or at most two before he was MORT. :eek:

Cheers

The was a room in our barracks for NCOs only. It was like a small day room, it had a T.V., a small kitchen, comfortable chairs. Our NCOs were always a very serious lot for the most part. I'll never forget my first time in that room as a brand new buck Sgt.

"Combat" was on the T.V. Every NCO in the room was in full combat gear, including helmets, webbing, and M-14s. They kicked me right out and told me to go and get dressed properly, or wait until "Combat" was over.

They had made that the official uniform for watching that show.

-John

Andy Griffith Show. Hilarious, with Don Knotts and all. And, of course, the Beverly Hillbillies. Collections of both of these are available at Wal-Mart, cheap.

Have you Americans ever see Corner Gas? A Canadian sitcom, very funny. Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFY1JwuFTbM

Dan

I'm 30, grew up in the 80's and never really gave a darn about cartoons until my 20's.

I grew up at 5 years old watching Knight Rider, A-Team, Airwolf and of course MacGyver. Sadly enough I'd even spend time with my mom at night and watch Dallas, mostly cause my dad traveled a lot for work when I was younger and it was hilarious always watching my mom watch her soap operas. She'd always get fired up. hehe.

In high school they finally brought MacGyver back to the screen on USA at 4 p.m. I got out of school at 3:15 and would literally run home to catch it at 4. Now it's on Netflix and I still watch it to this day :)

I like to watch an occasional Andy Griffith, but I can't watch more than a couple in a row. The same with the old Dick Van Dyke show and The Waltons. I LOVED Hogan's Heroes.

When I was a kid I waited all week, slobbering for the next episode of The Dukes of Hazzard. I tried to watch a few a couple of months ago and for the life of me can't see what I liked about the show.

I do have the boxed set of Tour of Duty and break that out every now and then. Same for Friends and Seinfeld. Hard to believe that those shows are old enough to be considered classics now.

My Wife likes Scarecrow & Mrs. King, so I got her three seasons of that. We also like Mannix, Sky King, Have Gun - Will Travel, and Man with a Camera. It's great we can watch these things any time we want, especially since there's generally nothing on TV worth looking at. 200 channels and it's all garbage!

A couple of those mentioned:

The Rockford Files - season 1, episode 2 there is a chase scene with a Cessna 210, pretty neat aireal footage

The Andy Griffith Show - season 8, episode 23, Aunt Bee takes flying lessons and solos in a 172

Back