Guidance for A&P-IAs

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I hope every owner operator of aircraft that deal with A&P-IAs would read this and know what the FAA considers the A&P-IA should do in the field.

You will discover why I say the Annual inspection is separate from the maintenance completed on your aircraft.

You will discover why I insist that all discrepancies be repaired before I sign off the Annual. and why I will not deal with stupid owners that like to defer maintenance all year then expect it to be repaired during the inspection.

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/media/faa-g-8082-19.pdf

Read it, it is what we do, and what we are held responsible for.

Page 12
Routine servicing is not a part of the annual inspection. The inspection itself is essentially a visual evaluation of the condition of the aircraft and its components and certain operational checks. The manufacturer may recommend certain services to be performed at various operating intervals. These services can often—in fact, should—be done conveniently during an annual inspection, but are not considered to be a part of the inspection itself.

Brian's responsibility to the PA-28 Spar.

Malfunction or Defect Reports
All malfunctions or defects that come to the attention of the holder of an IA should be reported on FAA Form 8010-4. (Refer to appendix 1, figure 6.) Copies of the self-addressed form are available at all Flight Standards District Offices (FSDOs). It is easy to complete and requires no postage. The form can also be completed on line at www.faa.gov under the Aircraft tab, and then under Report Safety Issues. Prompt reporting will contribute much toward improving air safety by helping correct unsafe conditions.

What do you believe the FSDO will do when he reports that Spar ??

the annual inspection on my travel air costs me $600. Then I typically spend about $2K during the couple weeks that follow the inspection.

Many people have criticized me for placing unsafe discrepancies in the maintenance records but see what we should do?

Page 19.
Incomplete Inspection
If an annual inspection is not completed, the holder of an IA should:
1. Indicate any discrepancies found in the aircraft records.
2. Not indicate that an annual inspection was completed.
3. Indicate in the aircraft records the extent to which the inspection was completed and all work accomplished.

I hope every owner operator of aircraft that deal with A&P-IAs would read this and know what the FAA considers the A&P-IA should do in the field.

You will discover why I say the Annual inspection is separate from the maintenance completed on your aircraft.

You will discover why I insist that all discrepancies be repaired before I sign off the Annual. and why I will not deal with stupid owners that like to defer maintenance all year then expect it to be repaired during the inspection.

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/media/faa-g-8082-19.pdf

Read it, it is what we do, and what we are held responsible for.

From pdf above:
ANNUAL AND PROGRESSIVE INSPECTIONS
The procedures and scope for annual inspections are set forth in
14 CFR part 43, appendix D, and should be followed in detail.
From 14 CFR part 43, appendix D:
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.
From a post on this forum about an annual inspection in progress:
<snip>
The floors are up and it appears that this aircraft sat thru Mt. St. Hellen eruption, it has 1/4" of whitish grit under the floors.

I ain't cleaning that ****.

Have you seen the DOM for the FBOs wash aircraft?

IF I write a discrepancy who can repair it?

Have you ever seen an A&P-IA clean the interior of the aircraft?

Last edited:
You wrote: "I hope every owner operator of aircraft that deal with A&P-IAs would read this and know what the FAA considers the A&P-IA should do in the field."

I'm just pointing out that apparently, there are exceptions.

Yes, I have seen an A&P-IA clean the interior of an aircraft.

That might have come across as confrontational, which was not my intent; I was trying to make a different point. Let me try again.

Sometimes, what appears to be crystal-clear language in the regs...isn't.

Example: Sentence #1 in 14 CFR part 43 App D seems to clearly say that the person who does the inspection is the person who cleans the aircraft.

Apparently, in reality that's not necessarily the way it works.

Is it any wonder that owners may be confused over who's supposed to do what, or who's allowed to do what?

Last edited:
That might have come across as confrontational, which was not my intent; I was trying to make a different point. Let me try again.

Sometimes, what appears to be crystal-clear language in the regs...isn't.

Example: Sentence #1 in 14 CFR part 43 App D seems to clearly say that the person who does the inspection is the person who cleans the aircraft.

Apparently, in reality that's not necessarily the way it works.

Is it any wonder that owners may be confused over who's supposed to do what, or who's allowed to do what?
If a part of the plane is clean when the mechanic begins the inspection, then it seems to me there is no need to clean that part again to ensure the aircraft is clean. I would not sign off that I had completed an inspection if any part of the plane I was working on was not clean when I began the viewing and testing portion of the inspection. For example, on a twin engine aircraft, I would consider inspecting the left engine if the area around the engine were clean, but the right engine were dirty at that time, unless I was performing a test such as fuel system tests that could affect both engines.

In general I have a strong preference for having the aircraft clean first. I would not feel obligated to clean any portion of the aircraft that was clean when I started the inspection. Mechanics working for commercial activities such as airlines or flight schools routinely clean aircraft at the beginning of inspections.

As one friend of mine had his foreman tell him when he was griping about how hard a task was on a railroad, "Yeah, this is hard work. You'd think they'd pay someone to do it."

There is common sense in that statement in the FAR, there is no better way of finding discrepancies in the aircraft skin than to wash it. but of course we now wash with a brush on a long handle :)

And yes I've washed many aircraft prior to the inspection.

Want to save $150 bucks? bring it to me clean.

You wrote: "I hope every owner operator of aircraft that deal with A&P-IAs would read this and know what the FAA considers the A&P-IA should do in the field."

Yes, I have seen an A&P-IA clean the interior of an aircraft.

Don't worry about hurting my feeling or being confrontational, I don't take the internet that seriously

Many people have criticized me for placing unsafe discrepancies in the maintenance records but see what we should do?

Page 19.
Incomplete Inspection
If an annual inspection is not completed, the holder of an IA should:
1. Indicate any discrepancies found in the aircraft records.
2. Not indicate that an annual inspection was completed.
3. Indicate in the aircraft records the extent to which the inspection was completed and all work accomplished.

Hey Tom,

I am a little confused by this. Why would you not complete an annual inspection?

My idea of an annual inspection is that, when you find unairworthy items/discrepancy, write it down in a letter to the owner, and continue with the inspection. Can't you sign off the annual as completed with discrepancies, and that when those discrepancies are fixed, it is then an airworthy aircraft?

Something like:
“I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with an Annual inspection and a list of discrepancies and unairworthy items dated (date) has been provided for the aircraft owner or operator.”

Hey Tom,

I am a little confused by this. Why would you not complete an annual inspection?

My idea of an annual inspection is that, when you find unairworthy items/discrepancy, write it down in a letter to the owner, and continue with the inspection. Can't you sign off the annual as completed with discrepancies, and that when those discrepancies are fixed, it is then an airworthy aircraft?

Something like:
“I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with an Annual inspection and a list of discrepancies and unairworthy items dated (date) has been provided for the aircraft owner or operator.”
I think what they mean by that statement is that not complete, as in, you didn't complete the inspection and sign it off as airworthy.

You can find it unairworthy and sign it as such and that you provided the owner with a list of discrepancies.

I think what they mean by that statement is that not complete, as in, you didn't complete the inspection and sign it off as airworthy.

You can find it unairworthy and sign it as such and that you provided the owner with a list of discrepancies.

OH ok. I read that wrong the first time through. Thanks!

Back