Guess who solo'd? This guy!

gkaiser

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gkaiser
After 35.7 hours and about 130 landings I have finally solo'd! Winds were calm to start the morning out with...I did two decent landings, on the 3rd/4th my instructor pulled the engine to idle on my downwind/start to base legs and established best glide speed and coasted back tot he airport. After the last one he asked if I was ready to solo...I said sure and he jumped out.

Everybody says it and it's amazing how that 152 feels without the instructor..the thing really jumps off the ground and seems to move alot faster! (Not to mention no longer feeling like a sardine stuffed in a can!).

My first/second landings were good..came in a bit high but were still acceptable. I tried to adjust on my 3rd landing..I was a bit lower but still had plenty of runway left each time and the landings were decent. Can't wait to see the video of it later! Amazing how fast things go by..I did the regular 3 take off/landings and it felt like it only took 10 minutes!

This forum has definitely been (and will be) a wealth of knowledge and support for me. After a few lessons I was discouraged because my poor performance that day but after reading fellow-students similar feelings I pushed through and did it!

Next weeek will be solo #2, hood work, and short/soft field techniques. Then while my instructor is out of town I've been told to go up atleast once or twice and do pattern work in his absence.

Thanks all for your support, encouragement, advice, tips all along! I honestly don't know if I could of done it without the excellent people on here!

Last edited:
Wow finally you did it! Keep pushing forward. All you have left is cross country and it's all done. Upload the video of your solo landings so we can see them!

I feel your smile in your writing. Congratulations!:goofy:

Will - Thanks! and congrats on recently passing your PPL check ride! I saw your write up here and on A&M's page! Good job!

Thanks Bruce! and thanks for all your awesome medical advice you give this community! I'm sure I'll be hitting you up eventually as I have hypertension and had quite a few obstacles to clear first thanks to the FAA!

congrats! Nice job, you'll always remember this accomplishment

Congratulations :yesnod: absolutely agree about the wealth of knowledge and motivation received from the site. Again congrats Pilot!

Congrats! I agree about the wealth of info on the forum AND on the fact that you'll never forget that solo experience! I'm into my XC's as well. I've done one with my CFI and I'm scheduled for an hour under the hood tomorrow so I can do one solo. Looks like we're both in about the same spot. Best of luck, and have fun!

Thanks. It's amazing how the confidence level goes up even throughout the first solo. I had slight butterflies during the first take off/landing but following checklists/flow of things kept my mind going. I do have to admit during the 2nd/3rd trip around the pattern I talked to myself running through things to make sure I didn't miss anything...My 1st/2nd approach were a bit high and didn't flare as much as I felt I should of..my 3rd approach I extended my turn from downwind to base a bit longer so I could have a longer final and better deal with that higher altitude...I'm really curious how the video comes out when my instructor posts in later.....

I'll post the link to the video when I get it..hopefully I can get some NICE constructive criticism and comments :)

I'll post the link to the video when I get it..hopefully I can get some NICE constructive criticism and comments :)

Of course we're always nice...

(where's that sarcasm smiley when ya need it?)

nice'n brutal
nice'n cold hearted
nice'n honest
nice'n vicious

nice comes in many forms

Congrats! I solo'd at 34.2 and remember how great it felt after thinking it would never happen. Stick with it! I got my PPL with right around 75 hours spread out over 1.5 years.

Who's got two thumbs both pointing up at you, this guy right here. ( sorry could not resist). Love the thread title.

Congrats on the solo. Welcome to the less than 1 percenters who can claim to have taken an airplane into the sky and returned safely to tell about it! Enjoy the rest of training.

Congrats!

But each time I see this thread, my brain reads the words as, "Guess who solo'd this guy!?!?" As if we're about to pile on a CFI or something... :lol:

Back