Guess who called today??????

Thumper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
I took (and passed) my instrument checkride just over one month ago with a DPE. Very pleasant experience, all things considered. He was very professional, knowledgeable, and certainly a pleasant person. After the checkride he told me I may get a call from the FSDO who would ask questions about the checkride and how he conducted himself. I really didn't give it another thought until today when the phone rang. "Hi, this is ............, your friendly FSDO and I'm hoping you can meet me at the airport on Wednesday at 9:00AM to discuss your experience with your DPE during your recent checkride."

He assured me the questions would only pertain to the checkride and how it was conducted. I agreed and it was a very pleasant, albeit short, conversation.

Anyone here had a similar experience?

Thoughts?

Gee, when the fast food joints do those surveys, you get a free burger on your next visit. Maybe FAA could do that? :lol:

I took (and passed) my instrument checkride just over one month ago with a DPE. Very pleasant experience, all things considered. He was very professional, knowledgeable, and certainly a pleasant person. After the checkride he told me I may get a call from the FSDO who would ask questions about the checkride and how he conducted himself. I really didn't give it another thought until today when the phone rang. "Hi, this is ............, your friendly FSDO and I'm hoping you can meet me at the airport on Wednesday at 9:00AM to discuss your experience with your DPE during your recent checkride."

He assured me the questions would only pertain to the checkride and how it was conducted. I agreed and it was a very pleasant, albeit short, conversation.

Anyone here had a similar experience?

Thoughts?

Would a phone interview not have worked just as well ?:dunno:
Meeting at the airport just to talk seems kinda strange. IMHO

They do it to mechanics too.

Yeah its strange they couldn't do a phone interview. Don't take any candy from them.

Would a phone interview not have worked just as well ?:dunno:
Meeting at the airport just to talk seems kinda strange. IMHO

Chances are pretty good that he has other business at the airport that morning as well so why not make the most of his time (as long as it works for both parties).

Rich

Make sure you DRIVE to the airport and don't have a single FAA document with you. :idea:

"Sorry, I'm tied up then - but I have absolutely no complaints about the DPE; he was professional and thorough."

"Sorry, I'm tied up then - but I have absolutely no complaints about the DPE; he was professional and thorough."

Yeah i'd do the same, 'see and avoid' :)

I know the FAA is not really out to get you - but no reason to go out of your way to meet them at the airport, or potentially open the door for a ramp check, docs check or anything else.

Yeah i'd do the same, 'see and avoid' :)

I know the FAA is not really out to get you - but no reason to go out of your way to meet them at the airport, or potentially open the door for a ramp check, docs check or anything else.

I agree....

Don't get me wrong. I have had nothing but outstanding service from the Wyoming FSFO. Those guys are #1 in my book on how federal employees should interface with the public...... It just struck me as odd they had the time to call and set up a face to face interview but couldn't do it over the phone... :dunno::dunno:..... I mean like,,,, how long would it have taken to ask a few questions.:dunno::confused:

I agree....

Don't get me wrong. I have had nothing but outstanding service from the Wyoming FSFO. Those guys are #1 in my book on how federal employees should interface with the public...... It just struck me as odd they had the time to call and set up a face to face interview but couldn't do it over the phone... :dunno::dunno:..... I mean like,,,, how long would it have taken to ask a few questions.:dunno::confused:

right... who's to say they aren't going to ask to audit your logbooks etc.. to make sure the DPE didn't miss anything. I understand this is a remote possibility but its best to avoid at all costs!

They are responsible for enforcing laws. Best to treat like a police officer, be polite but don't volunteer anything

Last edited:
right... who's to say they aren't going to ask to audit your logbooks etc.. to make sure the DPE didn't miss anything. I understand this is a remote possibility but its best to avoid at all costs!

How are you deducing this is an "audit" of the OP's logbooks? :dunno:

How are you deducing this is an "audit" of the OP's logbooks? :dunno:

I said it was a remote possibility. :dunno:

The checkride does include a review of logs.

Last edited:
Last time I got a call from the feds was from the IRS. They said that I had overpaid my due tax amount and were going to credit it toward next year taxes. How convenient. So much for the stimulus check I was looking for. Ooh well.:redface:

José

The meeting with the FAA Inspector took place this morning and lasted all of 17 minutes. He explained that there is a new program in place to evaluate each DPE on a yearly basis by randomly selecting several students to be interviewed after their checkride. He started by apologizing in advance for the questions as they were apparently written by someone with very little face to face interaction with the "stakeholders". He was right.

There were such questions as: "Did you feel prepared for the checkride?" "Did you use a checklist for the preflight?" "Did the examiner help you in any way?" "Do you feel you flew to the practical test standards during your checkride?" "How did you pick this examiner?" "Were you required to do a go around?" "Do you feel the oral exam was thorough?"

After these and a few more, we were both amused at how poorly the questions were designed. This appeared to be another program that may have a sound basis in fact, but is poorly designed and executed. I actually ended up feeling sorry for the inspector who was obviously embarrassed by the questionnaire.

And for those that made some suggestions, I let everyone at the FBO know he was coming, I didn't accept any candy, I didn't get offered any freebies, and I didn't take any official documents with me to the meeting. It wouldn't break my heart if our paths never crossed again, but it was not at all unpleasant.

Always ask yourself one question before volunteering to do anything: What good will come from this? If you can not find any good in it, don't do it. You got lucky today.

John

Glad it worked out good Doug..... I still don't understand why a phone interview would not have worked...... Maybe he needed an excuse for traveling in a government car or something... :yesnod::dunno:

Back