guess what engine they are talking about.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I copied this from another web page I frequent

""
Oil is cheeeeeeep.? Compared to the price of the plane and fuel,
how much oil you consume is only a logistic problem not a financial problem.
I have been know to take 25 quarts with me to travel to Oshkosh from Texas.?
That year, I got home with 1 quart and thought that was just OK.?

That is what you get with an engine designed in 1935.

I'm only on my 2nd XXXXX powered plane, but drying it up is low
on my list.? Having fun with the plane is much more important.

"

Model A engine, in a Pietenpol?

edit:

Oops- 1935's too late.

Any radial.

I noted that the B-29 FiFi carried oil in 55 gallons drums in the bomb bay.

Any radial.

Where was it I read recently of some wise old mainenance chief stating that if there wasn't oil under a radial engine then there wasn't any it it, either?

A Wright radial? Maybe the R-3350?

Flying to OSH from Texas makes me think of a plane like the ones the Commerative Air Force flies...

Sounds like a Drombadier I know. The owner said he would run low on oil before he needed to land for gas. It sure cut down on the mosquitos when he was flying/fogging around our field.

Barb

It sounds like the 200 hp Ranger in my fathers old Fairchild 24R. We almost ran it out of oil one flight, but we had a lot of fun.

Regards, Kevin

It sounds like the 200 hp Ranger in my fathers old Fairchild 24R. We almost ran it out of oil one flight, but we had a lot of fun.

Regards, Kevin

Yep,, the guys are thinking they are doing pretty good at 1-1.5 qt per hour.

Any radial.

IIRC, the oil tanks built into the airplane hold more gallons of oil than my Baron holds fuel.

I would guess Lycoming, but I don't think that's right

I was close to that on my O-540 before I had the top done. It was about a quart every 2-3 hours. Lycoming says that's the maximum allowed.

Acutally it is time to start looking for our next engine.

thanks

Joe

The engine is in Belingham Wa 40 miles up the road from me. If I can be of any help? (pick it up & fix it )

The Ad says it showed chip light and the oil pressure dropped to 50 PSI I'll bet its and easy fix. pretty common for the fresh over haul.

Any radial.

Indeed, no less than 17% of the total cruise speed on aircraft powered by this family of power plants is derived from the constant atomization of expelled lubricants by the radial engines into their prop's slipstream, creating the super-slick, friction reducing layer of air under and around such aircraft at all times.

Indeed, no less than 17% of the total cruise speed on aircraft powered by this family of power plants is derived from the constant atomization of expelled lubricants by the radial engines into their prop's slipstream, creating the super-slick, friction reducing layer of air under and around such aircraft at all times.

:D AND if you add a blow torch it becomes full AFTERBURNER!

Originally Posted by Dave Krall CFII

:D AND if you add a blow torch it becomes full AFTERBURNER!

There are proper aeronautical terms for the above described radial engine factors, but they escape me for the time being.

So Tom, you never said what engine they're talking about? A Wright radial?

So Tom, you never said what engine they're talking about? A Wright radial?
It is buried in the thread a little

Regards, Kevin

There ya go

it was easy to miss. i went back looking to see if he had said what it was too

Back