Guess the breed

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Richard sent this to me. Personally i would've kept with the cat theme.
but...what is this?

woodstock said:
a very curious dog who chased a porcupine. and won't give it up. maybe a pit bull?

A dog too dumb to stop when it hurts. Yes, pit bull and porcupine.

-Skip

wonder if the dog died of infection/blood loss after all that. and, what happened to the porcupine.

Transcript from vets.

"yank. Howl. Yank. Howl. Yank. Howl."

I have never seen a dog that didn't stop after about the second mouthful of quill. Remind me to never pet any pitbulls that I don't know.

Jim G

A Chow Chow?

Anthony said:
A Chow Chow?

hahaha. although a Chow is a lot fluffier.

wouldn't you think any dog breed this stupid would have died off due to natural selection a long time ago?

woodstock said:
hahaha. although a Chow is a lot fluffier.

wouldn't you think any dog breed this stupid would have died off due to natural selection a long time ago?
breeders -- or I should say "puppy mills" -- are in many cases making the breeds stupider by inbreeding, because inbreeding is quicker and cheaper. REAL breeders pay attention to bloodlines and pay each other relatively large sums of money for "services" to keep the breed's gene pool healthy. Popular breeds get threatened by people who simply buy a couple of dogs and start selling puppies.

If you want a purebred, insist on an AKC registered breeder. Look at the puppy's bloodline. It will go back several generations. Check to make sure they have no common ancestors. I would personally avoid buying a puppy from a pet store.

Ken Ibold said:
breeders -- or I should say "puppy mills" -- are in many cases making the breeds stupider by inbreeding, because inbreeding is quicker and cheaper. REAL breeders pay attention to bloodlines and pay each other relatively large sums of money for "services" to keep the breed's gene pool healthy. Popular breeds get threatened by people who simply buy a couple of dogs and start selling puppies.

If you want a purebred, insist on an AKC registered breeder. Look at the puppy's bloodline. It will go back several generations. Check to make sure they have no common ancestors. I would personally avoid buying a puppy from a pet store.
Major ditto. I'm a dog snob in this regard. I've had some great 'mutts' but I've seen some bad ones, too. I've also dealt with some questionable purebreds when papers/genealogy couldn't be found. As a puppy, you won't know for a while where the dog sits on the intelligence scale.

I saw that picture and a couple more of the same dog.

Ouch.

Wonder if that was an "attack" pit bull?

woodstock said:
aren't they all?

The ones that are usually are trained to be that way. They've gotten the reputation because a lot of owners bred 'em and trained 'em to be mean.

I recall a news story of a guy that used to take cats, put a noose around their necks, hang them over a tree branch, and use them to train pit bulls to attack. Stuff like that makes you worry more about the owners.

Brian Austin said:
No, any more so than all Dobermans are "mean".

Very true. I have a friend who had a pit bull that was the biggest wuss dog I've ever seen. Very playfull and loved everybody.

wsuffa said:
The ones that are usually are trained to be that way. They've gotten the reputation because a lot of owners bred 'em and trained 'em to be mean.

I recall a news story of a guy that used to take cats, put a noose around their necks, hang them over a tree branch, and use them to train pit bulls to attack. Stuff like that makes you worry more about the owners.

oh my God! that makes me sick! seriously, shoot the owner, forget about the dog.

Brian, I have to disagree. I have 3 dogs,2 from the pound and 1 rescue(girlfriend is a vet tech). 10 days ago I put down my best friend also from the pound. As much as I love my dogs, I prefer 'em a little on the stupid side. I'm no brain surgeon myself and there's nothing worse than being dumber than your dog.

I have had this happen many times( but not to this degree) with the hunting breeds we train, and usually if taken care of promptly they heal up nicely.
I have been in the middle of no where in the prairie of ND training bird dogs.Miles from the truck My wife and I a couple of dogs on horseback.

Dog disappears over the hill find the dog fighting the P.Pine. Covered with Quills.

Remove the quills wash the blood off ,turn the dog loose head to the truck dog goes and finds bird like it never happened.
Amazing animals they are. get to the truck drive 80 miles to Vet.
Usually they will keep working their way out over several days Lots of antibiotics.

The big problem with this dog is eyes and throat if not treated could be blind and infection will set in. One thing the picture do not show is the inside of this dogs mouth is full as well.

This dog has been in this shape long enough to have swelling which in my experience does not happen very rapidly

This is one of the reasons not to let you dogs roam free unsupervised.

Dogman

Ken Ibold said:

Done properly by a handfull of breeders it is called line breeding and this is how some of our best dogs are made.
I'm talking about working and sporting breeds and know there are many lines of dogs out there that would not be the best if they did not line breed.
But you are correct in saying there many breeders who put a lot of thought in to it. But AKC breeders have screwd up more breeds of dogs than any other registry. I will say know more this could turn into a looonnng conversation.
I am not a breeder we train dogs for people all over the world and have seen the best and the crap.

Want a dog for a pet go to the pound or shelter. That is what we do. We have 2 resue dogs.

Dogman

Last edited:
dogman said:
But AKC breeders have screwd up more breeds of dogs than any other registry.

I was going to say this. You beat me to it. I prefer NAVHDA (?), which concentrates on ability, not looks. We have a wirehaired pointing griffon, and had another one before her, and both did well in their puppy trials (1st and 2nd), in which only 10% of the score is conformation and 90% is ability.

The problem with AKC is that it is ALL conformation. Ability has nothing to do with it, even in the working and sporting dog lines. If they look good but are useless for what they are bred for, what's the point?

Judy

judypilot said:
I was going to say this. You beat me to it. I prefer NAVHDA (?), which concentrates on ability, not looks. We have a wirehaired pointing griffon, and had another one before her, and both did well in their puppy trials (1st and 2nd), in which only 10% of the score is conformation and 90% is ability.

The problem with AKC is that it is ALL conformation. Ability has nothing to do with it, even in the working and sporting dog lines. If they look good but are useless for what they are bred for, what's the point?

Judy

Wirehairs great, Good for you fun dogs and beleive me get a wirehair around a porcipine and it will try its luck. They were bred for Feather and Hair and to have a lot prey drive and kill.

The test you refering to is Natural ability test. Glad you do thing like this with your dogs. 95% of dog participating in NAVHDA are AKC Registerd.

Akc does have some good breeders out there, The ones Ilike breed for ability and conformation. We train a lot of Dual CHs in many pointing breeds (That means is show CH and Field trial CH) for people and breeders this is what people should be breeding for the Dog that is bred for the instincts to do a job and look good and stay fit.

dogman said:
Akc does have some good breeders out there, The ones Ilike breed for ability and conformation. We train a lot of Dual CHs in many pointing breeds (That means is show CH and Field trial CH) for people and breeders this is what people should be breeding for the Dog that is bred for the instincts to do a job and look good and stay fit.
My mother in law is a Samoyed breeder. She has trained and bred many, many Dual CHs. Actually, my wife and her sister did a lot of the agility training when she was in high school and college. However, as Mom gets older the time commitment to do the agility training has become onerous and she has concentrated on the beauty pageants. She's been invited to show at Westminster many times, but won't spend the money or tolerate the hassle to go.

Back