GTX345 and the CNX80/GNS480

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
The club is installing the GTX345 Transponder. We already have the CNX80/GNS480 box as our nav/comm.

The CNX80 does have a button/page to show traffic if the right equipment is installed.

Does anyone know if the GTX345 and provide that information so the traffic page will display the ADS-B In traffic info?

(pinging @texasag93 so he can follow along.)

My 480 / GTX330 (Non-ES) shows traffic in some areas, saw some around Napa on Sunday.. once I go ES I'm not sure..

My 480 / GTX330 (Non-ES) shows traffic in some areas, saw some around Napa on Sunday.. once I go ES I'm not sure..
The 330ES will still receive TIS traffic like the 330. Dunno 'bout the newer flavors of ES transponders.

The 330ES will still receive TIS traffic like the 330. Dunno 'bout the newer flavors of ES transponders.
My understanding that ES will comply with the Out, but won’t provide the In. So to receive traffic via the 330-ES, you still need to be in range of the TIS.

My understanding that ES will comply with the Out, but won’t provide the In. So to receive traffic via the 330-ES, you still need to be in range of the TIS.
That is correct for the 330ES. The newer ES transponders have UAT in I believe. The ES out is required for operation above 18,000 feet.

The club is installing the GTX345 Transponder. We already have the CNX80/GNS480 box as our nav/comm.

The CNX80 does have a button/page to show traffic if the right equipment is installed.

Does anyone know if the GTX345 and provide that information so the traffic page will display the ADS-B In traffic info?

One warning with the 345, you are stuck to using foreflight or pilot. WingX and the rest do not work because Garmin plans hosing you with a license agreement fee after they get all their boxes installed.

One warning with the 345, you are stuck to using foreflight or pilot. WingX and the rest do not work because Garmin plans hosing you with a license agreement fee after they get all their boxes installed.
Thanks. Entire club uses FF.

The 480 will display traffic, but you do NOT want it to... when the traffic alerts, the box locks you out from frequency changes, nav changes, etc. Drove me nutty, so I disabled traffic in the 480. My buddy did too on his, same reason.

Paul

Well, it locks you out until you press a button. Duh. Not too difficult for an actual pilot.

GTX345 was installed. As mentioned in this thread, there traffic doesn't display on the 480.

But what was unexpected was that the transponder code is showing up in a datablock along with the "reply" blip as the ATC radar interrogates the unit.

Connection to iPad and ForeFlight was easy and works very well.

But what was unexpected was that the transponder code is showing up in a datablock along with the "reply" blip as the ATC radar interrogates the unit.

On the GTN you can touch that data block and change the transponder code from the GPS UI. Or ident. Or whatever.

On the GNS does it just display it, or can you change it there also?

I think a lot of the GTX345 behavior stems from the fact that there’s a GTX345R unit where there’s no control head or buttons for it. Same exact transponder and code running in it, just the non-R has physical controls.

Garmin makes great deals on the -R version bundled with the GTN, but we weren’t too keen on the idea of “the GPS fails there’s no way to control the transponder”.

If the GNS only displays it, that’s a bit of a bummer that Garmin burns a data block you could have used for displaying something else. We lose one on the GTN also, but it doubles as a remote control so it’s a little tiny bit more palatable. Maybe the buttons on the GTX will fail someday. Doubt it. But it could happen I suppose.

Or at least it’s understandable since the GTN probably has no idea whether you have an -R or non-R GTX345. It just knows it’s connected and has to “burn” the data block for the transponder.

Back