GTX-345R plus GMX-200: traffic but no weather

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
So as reported earlier, I am fully ADS-B compliant now. My last PAPR was without errors, and traffic is displayed without any hitches on my GMX-200 MFD. Soon after installation, I called Sirius XM to suspend my Aviator Lite subscription for the GMX-200. Since I was still getting weather displayed, I assumed that it was coming from the GTX-345R. I was pleasantly surprised that the quality was every bit as good as with Aviator Lite.

Then, earlier this month, I suddenly noticed that I was no longer getting weather on the MFD. It wasn't just missing a few services, it was "No Data Received", and all the services were shown as "Not Available". Since this happened on two flights a couple of weeks apart, I was pretty sure it was not just a ground station being down, but rather that it took a few weeks for the XM suspension to come through. Another couple of red flags: the GMX-200's Hardware showed that it was still getting data from the GDL-69. (It also gave a couple of port numbers to which the GDL-90 was supposedly connected though, and the GDL-90 was removed.)

Tuesday I flew back to the shop, where they checked the installation and found that everything was configured correctly except for one setting, which they fixed. But on the flight back it quickly became clear that nothing had changed as far as FIS-B weather was concerned, and in fact the Hardware Info page still showed that the GDL-90 was still on the same ports, and data was still being received from the GDL-69.

I'm getting a bit frustrated and wondering why it is so difficult for a shop that specializes in Garmin avionics to correctly configure two supported Garmin units to talk correctly to each other? Are there any avionics experts here that can weigh in?

Do you have a flightstream 210? If so, that is on the 345's single RS422, which it would need to send wx to the MX. In that case you get FIS-B wx and traffic via bluetooth to your iPad. A buddy of mine ended up keeping his XM because of this. the FIS w. Presentation sucks anyway, (though free makes up for a lot of pixellation!)

I have an MX20 which I can't seem to convince it no longer has WSI connected to port 3. I can't even just shut the port off. it's like the software switch is stuck.

Do you have a flightstream 210?
Negative.
the FIS w. Presentation sucks anyway, (though free makes up for a lot of pixellation!)
Yeah, I'm worried that will be the case. That's why I don't want to cancel my XM account until I've tried FIS-B wx.
I have an MX20 which I can't seem to convince it no longer has WSI connected to port 3. I can't even just shut the port off. it's like the software switch is stuck.
Wow, this is apparently not an uncommon problem. But why, is my question? The unit was configured that way by setting software switches, why can't they be reset??

Wow, this is apparently not an uncommon problem. But why, is my question? The unit was configured that way by setting software switches, why can't they be reset??

I contacted Garmin about it. They said it could be a hardware or software problem.
Effin' genious.

azure, did you ever get resolution on this issue with FIS-B/ADS-B weather not displaying on the GMX200? I see this thread is a couple years old, bit I've currently run into the exact same issue and can't seem to get it resolved. I have the GTX345 transponder connected to a GNS-430W and the GMX200. ADS-B/FIS-B weather and traffic was displaying perfectly on the GMX200, then we had to have an engine overhaul, and the plane was down and battery disconnected for about 5 months. Ever since getting everything put back together, weather will not display on the GMX200 and all the status pages show "Not Available". Traffic still displays properly. Both weather and traffic still display normally on the GNS430W, so I know the weather is working.

upload_2022-2-14_17-1-3.png

Back