GTX-345 Antenna Placement

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Giving serious consideration to installing a GTX-345. I have a very old panel - no GPS or any other position source, and a very old transponder. I like the GTX-345 because it packs everything needed in one package and will send traffic info to ForeFlight on my iPad. My concern is the type and placement of the antenna. I have read comments about problems with antenna placement on fabric covered aircraft, which would apply to me. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Consider a Lynx too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Download a copy of FAA AC 43.13.-2a and look up the section on antenna installation. Tell you everything you want to know. The type of antenna will be specified in the install manual.

We are extremely happy with our 345. The AHRS and optional $200 encoder are really nice to have, and it works great with ForeFlight.

Thanks for the feedback. I have read both AC 43.13 and the Garmin installation manual. There is considerable latitude in both documents on the placement of the antenna. My original question was prompted by reports that antenna placement on a fabric aircraft has proven to be problematic. I was hoping to find someone that had experience with a similar installation.

Giving serious consideration to installing a GTX-345. I have a very old panel - no GPS or any other position source, and a very old transponder. I like the GTX-345 because it packs everything needed in one package and will send traffic info to ForeFlight on my iPad. My concern is the type and placement of the antenna. I have read comments about problems with antenna placement on fabric covered aircraft, which would apply to me. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Not to denigrate the 345 (I have the 335) but if the only reason to get the 345 is IN to Foreflight, consider the 335 and with the new Scout (or if interested, the build-it or get one already built Stratux) and save yourself about $2000. Even going with the Garmin GDL39 for IN. you'll save more than $1000 just on the hardware.

As for the antenna - will you be installing this yourself? If not, where are you? Contact one of the Garmin avionics shops in your area and get an estimate on installation as well as discuss with them where the antenna will be installed.

Back