GTN650Xi, Dual G5s and a GFC500 - can I enter minimums?

John Waters

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
johnkwaters
I have seen it done when you have a PFD like a G3X Touch - is there a way to enter the minimums for an approach when you only have the GTN650Xi and dual G5s?

Last edited:
No, there is no way to enter baro mins with G5s like there is with a G500/TXi/G3X.

I thought not :)
I guess I can just twiddle the altitude knob on the GFC500 to the rounded up minimum nearest 100ft for an MDA - but then I suppose I would want to set it to the first altitude of the missed approach segment anyway, so perhaps pointless? Still learning both this device and working on my instrument rating, trying to figure out if setting the minimums is helpful or not in the scenario.

I guess I can just twiddle the altitude knob on the GFC500 to the rounded up minimum nearest 100ft for an MDA - but then I suppose I would want to set it to the first altitude of the missed approach segment anyway, so perhaps pointless? Still learning both this device and working on my instrument rating, trying to figure out if setting the minimums is helpful or not in the scenario.

It can be semi-useful in that you will get the 1000' and 200' to go chimes (when paired with GFC500, which I know you have, but wanted to be clear for others that might not, since the GMA507 is what generates the audio in this scenario). But not as useful as the 'Minimums' voice call out right at baro mins that the other Garmin systems offer (and perhaps Aspen as well @eman1200 ... I'm not nearly as familiar with those as Garmin gear).

If you look through the AFMS (which, of course you did ;)) you may find checklists for the approach that recommend the missed approach altitude for ILS/LPV and the stepdowns and MDA for nonprecision approaches. This is from the AFMS for the GFC500 autopilot.

upload_2023-2-22_7-30-56.png

Personally, while the distinction might have been relevant to "dive and drive" I think it's outdated in the current environment where the FAA is touting a stable CDFA (continuous descent final approach) configuration and modern RNAV+WAAS boxes will give you a +V advisory glidepath on almost any approach (not to mention more workload for a single pilot).

But, the important thing here is consistency. It's a good discussion to have with your instructor with an eye toward making your own decision. I do quite a bit of avionics transition and advanced training. Modern avionics give us a number of ways to accomplish the same task. Making personal SOP choices is a big part.

Back