GTN650/750 - how serious is this SB?

To be honest, I rarely use the VOR NAV feature of my 430W (I've got a KX-155 + CDI for my primary NAV). If I had a GTN, I probably wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Not knowing what it pertains to, I'd want to get it done. It would be very annoying to have my localizer stop working (or work unreliably) on an ILS...

If it was really serious, it would probably be an AD, not just an SB. But without knowing in what way these things were "unreliable" I just can't say. Anyone know the backstory?

A supervisor in Garmin's product support group has been posting on BT. Below is a compilation of his posts regarding the nav board issue from the SB. Anyone with unanswered questions probably should contact Trek directly.

Hello Everyone,
this was an unfortunate problem that was found with some NAV boards that were built by our vendor. There is a serial number break for the defective boards, the problem is we know what the date codes are on the defective boards and when the boards arrived. However there was also another date code of board during this time frame as well so it's impossible to identify for sure which units have the defective board. So what we have to do is bring all the units that fall into this serial number range, take apart the unit, if it has the known bad date code we're replacing the NAV board and re-aligning. If does not have the bad date code the unit is returned to service, mod 1 is marked and the unit returned. Unfortunately we're limited on how many units we can do each day as they do have to go back through our production facility. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, however the problem with these boards is not consistent as it had to do with the way the board itself with the multilayer's was assembled. let me know if there is any questions.

Here's a list of the units that possibly are affected.

GTN 650 (Black face) S/N's 1Z8001498 through 1Z8001801
GTN 750 (Black Face) S/N's 1ZA001270 through 1ZA001876, 1ZA000644, 1ZA000709, and 1ZA001230
GTN 750 (Gray Face) S/N's 1ZA200303 through 1ZA200319

here are no consistent problems that will be seen. In some cases you'll have intermittent problems in some it will be more prevalent with the NAV not working. The problem is with the board manufacturing process and not any components on it. The problems are very rare and even with the bad date code board you may never see any issues as the problems have been very rare. However it was a decision to remove them.

Best Regards,

If it was really serious, it would probably be an AD, not just an SB. But without knowing in what way these things were "unreliable" I just can't say. Anyone know the backstory?
Maybe it will be, these things usually start as SBs then get morphed into ADs. Some times not until someone dies.

How long to remove, ship, repair, return ship and reinstall? Covered under warrenty?

And meanwhile your grounded. Interesting that a $XX thousand unit would have such problems. I'm sure the warrenty does not cover down time on a business aircraft.

Maybe it will be, these things usually start as SBs then get morphed into ADs. Some times not until someone dies.

Yep. I recall some Garmin transponder issues that were handled this way. I had one shop that wouldn't recertify the transponder unless an SB was done (without AD being issued).

How long to remove, ship, repair, return ship and reinstall? Covered under warrenty?

And meanwhile your grounded. Interesting that a $XX thousand unit would have such problems. I'm sure the warrenty does not cover down time on a business aircraft.

Well, that's what you get for buying the latest and greatest. Version 1.0 is bound to have some issues.

I would guess some avionics shops would provide a loaner if needed.

Back