GTN SD cards

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
Some idiot, and I shall remain nameless, lost one of my GTN SD cards yesterday, I still have the one that is in the airplane, so it's not a panic situation. I called Garmin and of course they are closed today for Good Friday!
My question for the group is can I buy a standard SD card and use it or is it proprietary like the GNS series cards?? I'd like to update them before my next trip, but if I can buy a card at Office Max it would make life easier.:D

What do the FARs say? Have you read the AFM and PHOAK? Yes, Martha has funny hair.

Oh wait, sorry, reflex.
I was just about to do all that! But, being a cheap ass, lazy pilot I hoped you would do it for me!! :D:D

Some idiot, and I shall remain nameless, lost one of my GTN SD cards yesterday, I still have the one that is in the airplane, so it's not a panic situation. I called Garmin and of course they are closed today for Good Friday!
My question for the group is can I buy a standard SD card and use it or is it proprietary like the GNS series cards?? I'd like to update them before my next trip, but if I can buy a card at Office Max it would make life easier.:D

I would buy exact same size card, then do a disc to disc copy from good Garmin to blank card (make sure the Garmin is the source disc, might want copy protection tab enabled). Don’t just copy files,directories...it should work.

I would buy exact same size card, then do a disc to disc copy from good Garmin to blank card (make sure the Garmin is the source disc, might want copy protection tab enabled). Don’t just copy files,directories...it should work.

^ This.

We have a Garmin SD card and another one for the GTN 750. Both work fine.

Thanks for the replies, I bought a 32 bit SD card, formatted it and it looks like it downloaded correctly according to the Garmin database update, we'll see on Friday! :D

how do you update 2 cards? once i update mine, the option to download or transfer is greyed out. (mine is via Jepp, GNS 480)

how do you update 2 cards? once i update mine, the option to download or transfer is greyed out. (mine is via Jepp, GNS 480)

There are things with virtual machines

Thanks for the replies, I bought a 32 bit SD card, formatted it and it looks like it downloaded correctly according to the Garmin database update, we'll see on Friday! :D
I inserted in on Friday and it worked perfectly! Only snag was a flat nose wheel tire while taxiing to take off! :eek: Caused about a two hour delay, missed our tee time, but still got 18 holes in before dark! :D:D

I inserted in on Friday and it worked perfectly! Only snag was a flat nose wheel tire while taxiing to take off! :eek: Caused about a two hour delay, missed our tee time, but still got 18 holes in before dark! :D:D

What airport do you fly to that has a golf course?

What airport do you fly to that has a golf course?
DTS Destin FL the golf course is Indian Bayou and it's not on the airport, but a couple holes run parallel to the runway! :D About a 5 minute drive away!!

Be careful using greater than 8gb cards. Those can give a hassle. I have found that SanDisk ultra 8GB cards work perfect, they are literally 6 bucks. Just be aware that a real Dick of an inspector can tag you for not using the Garmin ones... the Nav data is loaded to the memory in the GTN itself so failure of the card isn’t going to be the end of the world. My SanDisk cards are actually more reliable than my Garmin ones but...

Back