GTN screen freeze hangup due to Flightstream 510 corruption

Tokirbymd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tokirbymd
I hope this helps someone else. My GTN 650 developed a problem on the last flight. When initially powered up- the terrain database was missing and rest of the databases were ok. If I didn't touch anything but the com freq or transponder codes would work normally. However as soon as I touched the Continue button to start the Map function and other GPS based functions the whole unit froze and would no longer respond- including the knob to change frequencies. My avionics guy pulled the Flightstream 510 SD card out which resolved the problem but then we were missing some of the databases. We pulled the unit out of the plane and pulled the internal SD card as well as the 510 card. The 510 card appeared to be corrupt when interrogating on the computer and wouldn't accept a reformat. The internal SD card we were able to reformat and using a spare SD card (not 510) we downloaded all of the databases on it from the computer and reinstalled the internal card as well. Reinstalling a non-510 SD card in the front slot and restarting the unit, we were able to force load the databases onto the internal card and all worked well again (albeit without fightstream 510 benefits). I suspect a recent database update from Garmin Pilot via iPad using 510 somehow borked the 510 SD card file structure. Anytime the unit tried to access that portion of the SD card (for any database) it froze the unit. We have a replacement warranty 510 card on order so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Back