GTN 750 SD Card contacts

the400kid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FLAAV8R
I've been having a problem loading updates to the GTN and believe it to be the SD card contacts in the GTN. I say that because I have four "genuine" Garmin SD Cards and at times none of them can be read while at other times all of them can be read.

Outside of sending the unit back to Garmin for repair, is there a good, safe way for cleaning the internal contacts?

Talk more about what you mean by "can't be read". There are numerous issues loading new nav data to GTN's that have nothing to do with the physical contacts. Have you formatted the cards and done a full reload of the current databases? Few other gotcha's floating around like trying to load before the changeover date, loading without a valid GPS signal. None of these happen every time, but like I said, lots of repeatability issues.

Talk more about what you mean by "can't be read". There are numerous issues loading new nav data to GTN's that have nothing to do with the physical contacts. Have you formatted the cards and done a full reload of the current databases? Few other gotcha's floating around like trying to load before the changeover date, loading without a valid GPS signal. None of these happen every time, but like I said, lots of repeatability issues.

You are absolutely correct, I should have provided more detail.

I always come to the hangar prepared and carry with me freshly formatted cards using a myriad of loading techniques, full reinstall, update, what have you and most of the time none of them are recognized when I fire the unit up. However, many times if I remove and insert the card in rapid succession, sometimes eight or ten times, the unit finally recognizes it, which leads me to believe that the contacts are either worn or dirty (the unit is eleven years old).

You are absolutely correct, I should have provided more detail.

I always come to the hangar prepared and carry with me freshly formatted cards using a myriad of loading techniques, full reinstall, update, what have you and most of the time none of them are recognized when I fire the unit up. However, many times if I remove and insert the card in rapid succession, sometimes eight or ten times, the unit finally recognizes it, which leads me to believe that the contacts are either worn or dirty (the unit is eleven years old).

Are you swapping cards with the GTN powered on?

Are you swapping cards with the GTN powered on?

No, when I see that the card isn't being recognized, I shut the unit down via the avionics master, put the next card in and if it isn't recognized I shut down again and do the SD card dance. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I also forgot to mention that sometimes when I'm flying along, the unit will lose the terrain feature, at which time a audio warning will sound stating so. When that happens I do the SD card dance and most of the time the terrain comes back online.

I know this does not help you but I will say it anyway. I have the 1500 dollar SD card in my 650 gps that I use to update my data bases and transfer flight plans. I have never removed it from the GPS since it was put in 2018. Still working for me. My I pad updates automatically at home off of my WiFi and when the gps shows yellow on the start up screen I open garmin pilot on my i pad and the updates start on there own and is usually done by the time I take off. I don't even know what my SD card looks like.

Did you ask your avionics shop if they had any solutions? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I know this does not help you but I will say it anyway. I have the 1500 dollar SD card in my 650 gps that I use to update my data bases and transfer flight plans. I have never removed it from the GPS since it was put in 2018. Still working for me. My I pad updates automatically at home off of my WiFi and when the gps shows yellow on the start up screen I open garmin pilot on my i pad and the updates start on there own and is usually done by the time I take off. I don't even know what my SD card looks like.

Did you ask your avionics shop if they had any solutions? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

It sounds like you have a Flightstream 510 SD card inserted in the GTN, which is a wireless Bluetooth interface that connects to the iPad. I don't have the 510 and have to rely on transferring the database manually through the SD card.

It sounds like you have a Flightstream 510 SD card inserted in the GTN, which is a wireless Bluetooth interface that connects to the iPad. I don't have the 510 and have to rely on transferring the database manually through the SD card.
Yup might want to think about getting one once get your 750 squared away. Seems like a worthwhile investment? Maybe? 11 years is a long time, might be best to send it to garmin?

The 510 is both bluetooth and Wifi. The wifi is what is used for the data update. I see a lot of people having issues with the wireless updates, enough that I have taken the 510 off my list of potential upgrades. While it seems to work for @Gary Ward, there are just tons of threads on newer versions of Garmin Pilot having issues with nav data updates. I do have a 210 which is bluetooth and pushes flight plans between my GTN 650 and my iPad. It works great. To the OP, it sounds like you have a hardware issue. One last thing to check is when did you last update the operating firmware? If it's been a while, that might be contributing to your issue.
I really doubt cleaning the contacts is your solution. That would seem like it would either work all the time or not at all. Particularly across so many different cards.

I have a FS-510 and a 750xi, it seems that Garmin borked the database concierge stuff sometime around last April. I have been in touch with Russ at Garmin tech support concerning this issue and they have acknowledged there is a problem and others are experiencing similar issues. They have sent me test software that creates log files that I send them. They have had me try all manner of experiments to try and get a handle on what is wrong. Basically for android users, they tell me that database concierge with the 510 is non functional at this point. I did some more experimentation in the plane today and sent them the logs and there latest reply back to me seems to indicate that there is a problem with the software that somehow corrupts the FS-510. They told me that the next step will be to send them my FS-510 and maybe they can see what is being corrupted.

From our conversations over the months, I am hearing that there is a problem with the SD card interface software that has to do with timing, fortunately for me, I have not had any issues updating with the original SD card that came with the unit but other cards dont seem to work.

Basically, what happens is that the 750 can connect to the tablet and see the new databases but when I try to initiate the update, the 750 disconnects from Wi-Fi and the update fails. One other symptom is a display that states that the 750 is packaging databases for transport and never exits that screen.

But I would say to people using Pilot on an android tablet that this is most likely a software issue and not a hardware problem. As I stated, this started for me back in April and tech support has acknowledged that they are aware of it but as yet have not been able to come up with a solution. So the only way I can update my databases is with an SD card loaded with my PC from fly.garmin.com

If I get any more information, I will post it but this is a slow process as they only have me do these experiments when a new cycle comes up.

The 510 is both bluetooth and Wifi. The wifi is what is used for the data update. I see a lot of people having issues with the wireless updates, enough that I have taken the 510 off my list of potential upgrades. While it seems to work for @Gary Ward, there are just tons of threads on newer versions of Garmin Pilot having issues with nav data updates. I do have a 210 which is bluetooth and pushes flight plans between my GTN 650 and my iPad. It works great. To the OP, it sounds like you have a hardware issue. One last thing to check is when did you last update the operating firmware? If it's been a while, that might be contributing to your issue.
I really doubt cleaning the contacts is your solution. That would seem like it would either work all the time or not at all. Particularly across so many different cards.

I am having one "installed" next week.

From the threads I have seen, in most cases, the person found that they had more than one device connected to the Flight Stream at the same time. When they only had one, it seemed to work fine.

One thing you can try. Get a bottle of contact cleaner https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Specia...jMuMTMifQ==&sprefix=contact+cl,aps,101&sr=8-3
turn off the master and spray inside the SD card reader with the card removed. Give it a good spay (this is safe for electronics) and let it dry before you install the card or power on. (only takes a few seconds to dry). If the contacts are just dirty from years of you installing and removing the card this might help.

Well, it's official. When I went out to the hangar today to attempt to load the latest updates, the unit gave me an error stating "DATACARD ERROR: SD card is invalid or failed" on all three cards that I attempted to use.

I will take AlphaMikes's advice and spray contact cleaner before sending it out for repair.

Question, does the unit have to go back to Garmin or can authorized dealers do repairs as well?

I've been at revision level 6.71 since late 2019, which is now second to the most current (6.72). I too have the FS 210 and love it as well.

Interestingly, I just went to search on version 6.72 and found the software upgrade on the Garmin site, along with instructions. Has Garmin changed their mind about owners conducting their own firmware updates or did they simply forget to secure the site? Here is the link: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=12531#Instruct

Have you tried to reformat the cards?

Have you tried generic/off the shelf cards?

I would be cautious about spraying anything into a 750. That is a very expensive piece of hardware. If you seriously think the contacts are an issue, take it to a professional who is qualified to evaluate it.

Here is the epilogue.. I sprayed contact cleaner on an eyeglass cloth and wrapped it around an SD card and ever so gently inserted it into the slot a few times. After letting the unit dry for five minutes I placed a card into the unit containing the latest updates, all the while holding my breath. Low and behold, the unit recognized the card and applied the updates immediately upon startup.

Here is the epilogue.. I sprayed contact cleaner on an eyeglass cloth and wrapped it around an SD card and ever so gently inserted it into the slot a few times. After letting the unit dry for five minutes I placed a card into the unit containing the latest updates, all the while holding my breath. Low and behold, the unit recognized the card and applied the updates immediately upon startup.

That's awesome! good for you.. don't be afraid to get liberal with contact cleaner. As long as everything is powered off and you let it dry, it wont hurt anything.

I've replaced the SD card slots in GTNs quite a few times. Mostly because they get gummed up over time and won't release the card without a pair of needlenose pliers.

I highly recommend the Flight Stream 510. It's a SD card with both a WiFi and Bluetooth interface. The WiFi interface is used for database updates over the air using an iPad and the Database Concierge through Garmin Pilot. Bluetooth for flight plan transfer via either Garmin Pilot or Foreflight. Will also show ADS-B traffic, although I've found that you really need to be Bluetooth connected to BOTH the Flight Stream and ADS-B source in order for that to work reliably.

I've replaced the SD card slots in GTNs quite a few times. Mostly because they get gummed up over time and won't release the card without a pair of needlenose pliers.

I highly recommend the Flight Stream 510. It's a SD card with both a WiFi and Bluetooth interface. The WiFi interface is used for database updates over the air using an iPad and the Database Concierge through Garmin Pilot. Bluetooth for flight plan transfer via either Garmin Pilot or Foreflight. Will also show ADS-B traffic, although I've found that you really need to be Bluetooth connected to BOTH the Flight Stream and ADS-B source in order for that to work reliably.

I could have used your expertise earlier, but I do have a few questions for you. First, I was under the impression that only Garmin could service the unit, but based on what you said, I guess not. You are exactly right, the slot was/is gummed up. What is the cost to replace the slot? Second question, is it OK to spray contact cleaner directly into the slot?

I can see where the FlightStream 510 could have prevented these headaches, but I already have a 210 installed and like the attitude information that it provides. Should I eventually go the route of the 510, does the 210 wiring need to be removed from the GTN or is it as simple as removing the 210's configuration from the setup screen?

Back