GTN 6xx/7xx software version 5.13

RotorDude

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
GliderDude
Garmin has just announced the release of new version 5.13 for GTN. Among the changes:

GTN 6XX/7XX Main Software Version 5.13 contains the following changes from Version 5.00:
• Added support for Flight Stream 210 Connext™
• Added FastFind predictive flight plan entry
• Added support for Flight Plan importing through Connext or the data card
• Added support for Database SYNC
• Added support for WireAware™ (wire-strike avoidance technology) for Hazardous Obstacle Transmission (HOT) lines and power lines.
• Added airspace altitude overlay on the moving map
• Added Simple Frequency Entry for COM and NAV frequencies (leading “1” and trailing zero(s) not required)
• Added display of station identifiers for active and standby COM and NAV frequencies
• Added ability for data fields to be configured to display radial and distance to the tuned VOR
• Added ability for the data fields on the map page of the GTN 6XX/7XX and the default navigation page within the GTN 6XX to be configured as shortcuts for nearly all of the pages within the GTN
• Added support for user-defined Checklists
• Added ability to configure the color of the ownship icon to enhance visibility
• Removed ADS-B fault annunciation nuisance alerts prior to obtaining GPS fix
• Added configuration for transponder 1090ES ADS-B Out option to be set On, Off, or Pilot Select

The following service documents have been resolved:
• Service Advisory 1344: Corrected issue where CDI (Course Deviation Indicator)/HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator) scaling on a limited number of LPV and LNAV/VNAV approaches was incorrect
• Service Advisory 1363: Corrected issue where user-modified published procedures saved by the operator as part of a stored flight plan could be corrupted after updating the Navigation Database.
• Installation Bulletin 1365: Corrected issue that required configuring ARINC 429 data ports to transmit data for multiple devices using a single output channel
• Service Advisory 1372: Corrected issue where RNAV approaches are unavailable for selection when the approach includes LP minima and also has no published vertical descent angle (VDA)
• Service Advisory 1409: Corrected issue where the GTN display may occasionally exhibit a momentary
flicker
• Service Advisory 1473: Corrected issue where the range of a no-bearing traffic alert (TA) does not
update.

How do we obtain this update? Through our avionics shop? Or download from Garmin site?

How do we obtain this update? Through our avionics shop? Or download from Garmin site?

As I understand it, the avionics shop downloads it from Garmin, and then installs it in the customer's aircraft. IOW, DIY is not permitted. But I stand to be corrected.

The next gen units will automatically update from the ramp WIFI as you taxi in.

Only authorized Garmin dealers are permitted to load the firmware releases.

As I understand it, the avionics shop downloads it from Garmin, and then installs it in the customer's aircraft. IOW, DIY is not permitted. But I stand to be corrected.

Garmin only allows authorized dealers to download and install firmware updates. Most shops charge for firmware updates unless they are under warranty and to correct a defect.

Garmin only allows authorized dealers to download and install firmware updates. Most shops charge for firmware updates unless they are under warranty and to correct a defect.

These firmware upgrades, in addition to including new features, typically include bug fixes, as does this one. Since those bugs are (safety) defects that need to be corrected, what is the policy?

These firmware upgrades, in addition to including new features, typically include bug fixes, as does this one. Since those bugs are (safety) defects that need to be corrected, what is the policy?

The two shops I have worked with were consistent. If the firmware update fixed a known problem you have and the unit is under warranty, they provided it free. If you just want to have the latest and greatest, including enhancements, they charged for it.

I don't like the way it is handled. I feel if the unit is under warranty, they should provide enhancements free. For this patch, I am going to ask to have it installed free since I have the screen flicker issue described in the service bulletin.

The two shops I have worked with were consistent. If the firmware update fixed a known problem you have and the unit is under warranty, they provided it free. If you just want to have the latest and greatest, including enhancements, they charged for it.

I don't like the way it is handled. I feel if the unit is under warranty, they should provide enhancements free. For this patch, I am going to ask to have it installed free since I have the screen flicker issue described in the service bulletin.

Garmin doesn't charge for its firmware updates. Garmin determines if the update is mandatory or optional. If it is mandatory, Garmin provides the dealer with reimbursement for labor when under warranty, usually one hour credit. Most dealers will charge around one hour of labor for a software update if the update is not covered under warranty, but this is up to the dealer. If you are a good customer and spent a lot of money with the dealer, it is not uncommon for the dealer to not charge.

Garmin doesn't charge for its firmware updates. Garmin determines if the update is mandatory or optional. If it is mandatory, Garmin provides the dealer with reimbursement for labor when under warranty, usually one hour credit. Most dealers will charge around one hour of labor for a software update if the update is not covered under warranty, but this is up to the dealer. If you are a good customer and spent a lot of money with the dealer, it is not uncommon for the dealer to not charge.

I guess spending close to $40k wasn't enough ;) I knew I should have went with that 750! ;)

The next gen units will automatically update from the ramp WIFI as you taxi in.

You gotta be kidding, this is a maintenance item and needs to be logged in aircraft records when performed. where in the world did you get the idea this would self upfpdate, point us to documentation

You gotta be kidding, this is a maintenance item and needs to be logged in aircraft records when performed. where in the world did you get the idea this would self upfpdate, point us to documentation
it was a joke, gerry.

Getting ready to upgrade my GTN Main Software to version 5.13 and my GTX 330 to version 7.04. I should only have to tell my avionics guy to update to the latest and everything should get done, but to satisfy the inner micro-manager in me, I have a question.

Stating SW version 7.04 for the GTX 330 is all that is necessary. For the GTN there are also COM, NAV, NAV FPGA and GPS (WAAS) software versions identified. By performing the main software upgrade to 5.13, does this automatically upgrade these other aspects of the unit?

Much thanks.

Getting ready to upgrade my GTN Main Software to version 5.13 and my GTX 330 to version 7.04. I should only have to tell my avionics guy to update to the latest and everything should get done, but to satisfy the inner micro-manager in me, I have a question.

Stating SW version 7.04 for the GTX 330 is all that is necessary. For the GTN there are also COM, NAV, NAV FPGA and GPS (WAAS) software versions identified. By performing the main software upgrade to 5.13, does this automatically upgrade these other aspects of the unit?

Much thanks.

I just had mine done today, and I believe the standard procedure is to upgrade everything to the latest.

I called Garmin to see, and they told me that all the various upgrades are bundled into the main software upgrade. So there is that answer.

That is my understanding as well.

This sounds like the best software upgrade in a while. Lots of goodies.

I asked my avionics shop to install 5.13 and they advised me not to install it. They said that the FAA objected to the size of the ownship icon (wtf?) and so Garmin made it larger. Apparently the new icon is SO much larger that it blocks critical info in certain situations.

Talk about a stupid solution to a non-problem. Well I got this third-hand from my A&P/IA but that was the way he said the avionics shop explained it to him.

Anyone heard of or run into this?

I asked my avionics shop to install 5.13 and they advised me not to install it. They said that the FAA objected to the size of the ownship icon (wtf?) and so Garmin made it larger. Apparently the new icon is SO much larger that it blocks critical info in certain situations.

Talk about a stupid solution to a non-problem. Well I got this third-hand from my A&P/IA but that was the way he said the avionics shop explained it to him.

Anyone heard of or run into this?

I noticed that when my version was upgraded and I certainly see that ownship size and shape as a step backward. I read somewhere that there is a way to change it back, but effectively only the avionics shop can do that.
Fortunately this ugly icon (and IMO the issue is aesthetic, not functional) is the only drawback to this version, and the other improvements (e.g. 2 or 3 digit frequency entry, station IDs, etc.) more than make up for this blemish.
Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I'd like to have a look at that icon and see if I think it is really a problem.

Is there any documentation from Garmin about the ownship thing? Has anyone written about it? I'd like to see if it's really that bad.

I'd like to have a look at that icon and see if I think it is really a problem.

Is there any documentation from Garmin about the ownship thing? Has anyone written about it? I'd like to see if it's really that bad.

Having flown tons of hours on it, quite a bit in IMC, I can assure you it's purely a cosmetic issue. I can't believe anyone would honestly claim it has any functional relevance.
I am pretty sure I saw a blurb published by Garmin saying that the icon can be changed by the avionics tech while loading the software. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: I see Garmin issued a bulletin SB 1466 Rev B on Jan. 18, 2015 for an upgrade to 5.13 that (among others) allows the ownship icon to be customized in the config menu. I think before that it could only be done during the software upgrade process (but not sure).

Last edited:
Anyone have a picture of this?

Anyone have a picture of this?

Here is a low-res grainy image that I pulled from my POV video. Ownship icon in the center.

Attachments

• ownship.png
    ownship.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 29
Here is a low-res grainy image that I pulled from my POV video. Ownship icon in the center.

Thanks. Doesn't look too much bigger than the old version.

ed753a5aff4b66454b369299add65752.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Doesn't look too much bigger than the old version.

ed753a5aff4b66454b369299add65752.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct, but still a bit bothersome. I have a feeling that the software developers are not pilots, otherwise it's hard to explain.
Still, all in all it's a minor nuisance and you get used to it in a few hours.

Correct, but still a bit bothersome. I have a feeling that the software developers are not pilots, otherwise it's hard to explain.

Still, all in all it's a minor nuisance and you get used to it in a few hours.

I wonder what it will look like on my 650. You have a lot more real estate on the 750.

I can't tell... is that picture any different than the old ownship icon? Looks the same to me.

I can't tell... is that picture any different than the old ownship icon? Looks the same to me.

At this coarse resolution you can't tell the difference. It's really just a bit larger, but they added black-white contrast, presumably to make it stand out better against some backgrounds, but IMO it only makes it ugly.

I talked to my avionics shop and I think I'm going to do the update. There are too many goodies between 5.00 and 5.13 to resist. I am aware of the massive defect pertaining to creating map shortcuts to user defined checklists - yowza! So I'll avoid that and cope with the ugly airplane. :D

I talked to my avionics shop and I think I'm going to do the update. There are too many goodies between 5.00 and 5.13 to resist. I am aware of the massive defect pertaining to creating map shortcuts to user defined checklists - yowza! So I'll avoid that and cope with the ugly airplane. :D

Oh, there is no doubt the upgrade is worth it. The icon issue is minuscule, i.e. a non-issue. The shortcut bug just means that feature is not ready yet. But the other stuff is fine, so good move.

Back