GTN 650xi/GDU 1060 trainer app question re VNAV operation

lookoutbelow

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lookoutbelow
I am playing around for the first time with the Garmin GTN 650xi/GDU 1060 trainer app. I can't find any documentation on what selecting GS in the Trainer Navigation Control panel does . It seems it's needed for VNAV to work correctly but I'm not really sure why.

The trainer doesn't have a simulated "real" autopilot. So it gives you a generic unit. The GS button simulates whatever vertical descent output you receive from the GPS - VNAV, ILS glideslope, RNAV glidepaths.

Why? So you don't have to manually change altitude.

Thank you for your response. Makes sense now. So reducing speed to the Glide speed (set in the GDU) at TOD and selecting GS will fly me down at the correct VS.

Thank you for your response. Makes sense now. So reducing speed to the Glide speed (set in the GDU) at TOD and selecting GS will fly me down at the correct VS.
I'm confused by your reference to reducing speed to glide speed.

But yes, so long as you meet the requirements for using VNAV and arm it properly, GS will follow it.

Oh, yes, poorly worded on my behalf. I just happened to use the default Glide speed for practicing descents and didn't mean to imply that this was the only speed option. Thanks again.

Back