GTN 650 + TxPdr Rig?

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
Right now we've got a Garmin 300XL sycn'd up to our HSI. We'd like to upgrade but from what I can tell you can't buy 430W's anymore new. So, is the next step up a 650? I noticed on that 650 you can manipulate the transponder somehow? I'm assuming that it's just a box connected to an antenna somewhere but doesn't slot into the panel? We need to replace our transponder as well - it's ancient...our A&P said he can't believe it still works. Not a good sign.

So, trying to solve for a good GPS/IFR rig upgrade + TXPDR + get ADS-B compliant for 2020.

Anyway, just trying to get an idea of what we'd need to replace those and a rough idea of what that rig would cost?

Right now we've got a Garmin 300XL sycn'd up to our HSI. We'd like to upgrade but from what I can tell you can't buy 430W's anymore new. So, is the next step up a 650? I noticed on that 650 you can manipulate the transponder somehow? I'm assuming that it's just a box connected to an antenna somewhere but doesn't slot into the panel? We need to replace our transponder as well - it's ancient...our A&P said he can't believe it still works. Not a good sign.

So, trying to solve for a good GPS/IFR rig upgrade + TXPDR + get ADS-B compliant for 2020.

Anyway, just trying to get an idea of what we'd need to replace those and a rough idea of what that rig would cost?

I think the 650 accepts the remote mount 330ES or can control the panel mount.
The 650 is the replacement for the 430W.

Ken - I have a 650. The GTN series can control either an external transponder (Garmin 327 or 330) or the remote version (33). I like idea of having the transponder redundant, so I opted for the external 327. The intention unit can be programmed either through the GPS our three button on the transponder. If you want to do the compliance now, the easiest route is to go with a 330ES version.

And for cost; sit down first. A recent quote for a second 650 was $13,300. The 330ES will probably run you $4k.

You can see in this picture the 650 with the 1200 showing and the Garmin 327 next to it showing the same information. If you push the 1200 on the 650 a screen will pop up to allow you to enter a code or to change from standby to ALT, etc. The cool thing is the transponder will automatically go to ALT mode once it senses motion above a certain speed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426830356.324310.jpg

Last edited:
The cool thing is the transponder will automatically go to ALT mode once it senses motion above a certain speed.

Can you program it to just power up with 1200 and ALT on? That'd really be more ideal since the FAA wants your transponder on ALT prior to the airplane even moving on the ground these days.

Can you program it to just power up with 1200 and ALT on? That'd really be more ideal since the FAA wants your transponder on ALT prior to the airplane even moving on the ground these days.

Yes. I fly out of uncontrolled field so I normally would go to ALT as I enter the runway. But you can turn it to ALT and have it stay there and I believe the shop told me that the airspeed sensing can be turned off as well.

As for power up going to ALT, not sure. Let me check my manuals.

The 650 manual mentions being able to run in "ground" mode with mode S. Based on the programming I have seen done on my unit, I would expect that if can be programmed to power up in a mode.

thanks guys. It is just so damn ridiculous how expensive this stuff is. I know it's a relatively small market...but you could buy a whole Honda for what it costs to put a damn GPS into a plane?

Well, maybe we'll just opt for a used 430W and figure out our options on the TXPDR side of the house to get ADS-B compliant.

thanks guys. It is just so damn ridiculous how expensive this stuff is. I know it's a relatively small market...but you could buy a whole Honda for what it costs to put a damn GPS into a plane?

Well, maybe we'll just opt for a used 430W and figure out our options on the TXPDR side of the house to get ADS-B compliant.

With the 430W add the FlightStream 201 so you get the new interface on the iPad to program the 430 with.

The GTN 650/750 can manipulate and cross-feed to/from Garmin's transponders whether in the panel or remoted.

Be aware that if you use the 1090ES transponders as your ADS-B out solution, you will not receive weather and traffic via FIS-B and TIS-B, respectively, on the 987 UAT band through your transponder. Nor does Garmin make a 1090ES transponder that receives 987 UAT stuff either, although I dearly wish they did. You will still receive personalized weather and traffic on an iPad/Stratus or similar of course - it just won't display on your navigator's screen.

So if you want to see weather and traffic you could use an ipad/stratus or similar. If you want to see weather and traffic on your navigator's screen then you have to install a $3,995 GDL-88 (oh and you'd only be using the ADS-B "in" portion of its capabilities).

An alternative is to acquire your GNS or GTN and use your current Mode-C transponder (assuming no Class A flying after 2020) along with a GDL-88 to handle ADS-B in and out. Then no need to buy an expensive new transponder and you'd get all your ADS-B goodies displayed on the navigator's screen.

The cheapest way to quick compliance is to install something like a FreeFlight RANGR with internal WAAS GPS receiver and all else can remain the same, although you said in the OP that you wanted to upgrade so I assume you intend to upgrade your navigator.

Back