GTN 650 Issues

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Has anyone that uses the 650/750 notice the touchscreen occsionally not responding? I noticed starting yesterday that our new 650s would stop responding like an iPhone does when it's wet.

I called Garmin myself and was told that ANY drop of water on the screen will cause it to stop working. The issue was that the screen was completely dry besides the vapor from my breathing. If just vapor from breathing causes the screen to lock up we have an issue.

Also I've noticed that some approaches are not listing on the unit. Apperently we have out of date software and can only update them at the dealer. Why didn't the dealer install the correct software two months ago???

Last edited:
I've never experienced either of those problems.

While it is true that the software must be updated by an avionics shop, the data (including nav, comm, taxi, approach, terrain, basemap, and obstacles) certainly can be updated by the user quite easily.

Is your software and/or data up to date?

The software is 5.0 and the Garmin Tech said that I needed 5.13 to fix the issue.

The software is 5.0 and the Garmin Tech said that I needed 5.13 to fix the issue.

That makes sense - my 750 is 5.12 so would explain why I haven't seen that problem.

As far as missing approaches, that is a data card problem. Perhaps someone hasn't subscribed to, or hasn't updated, Jepp's approaches or Garmin's FliteCharts.

That makes sense - my 750 is 5.12 so would explain why I haven't seen that problem.

As far as missing approaches, that is a data card problem. Perhaps someone hasn't subscribed to, or hasn't updated, Jepp's approaches or Garmin's FliteCharts.

The missing approaches are on the exclusion list because of the old software version. Garmin said by updating to 5.13 the approach issue should be fixed.

The screen issue according to Garmin was that I had water on the screen. I will need to test it more in cold high humidity conditions. I hope it's not that sensitive to humidity on the screen.

The missing approaches are on the exclusion list because of the old software version. Garmin said by updating to 5.13 the approach issue should be fixed.

The screen issue according to Garmin was that I had water on the screen. I will need to test it more in cold high humidity conditions. I hope it's not that sensitive to humidity on the screen.

I will add that I have a screen protector on my screen. I have had it on since new and have never had any kind of problem with wet-screen freezes. You might try that approach.

Screen protector aside, if the screen freezes from just breath, that's a send-it-back-to-mfr kind of problem by my reasoning.

I've never seen any hiccups in a 650 or 750 that we use. Smooth as silk so far.

Back