Grumpy Old Men, Part 2

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
CC286 got beat up by you grumpy old men, (as an aside, at 56 do I qualify agewise anyway) so I'll take some of the heat off of him. I was Walking my 14 yr. old black Lab, Samantha on the docks at the nearby marina. Normally I walk her off leash as she is very good at staying nearby me. Going down one of the piers an old guy on his boat tells me that there is a rule that requires all dogs be on a leash and he feels that if he has to follow the rules, so should I. I look at my aged dog and say " You are correct, Come on Samantha lets get you on your leash before you attack this grumpy old man" .

I have always felt that rules should be enforced for the troublemakers and that if you or your dog or your children or your wife are not bothering anyone, just leave it alone.

I am not a big rules for rules sake. You don't bother me, and I won't bother you.

What say you grumpy old men, women. Who was in the wrong? Now don't hold back.

We walk our dog around the apartment complex on a leash from time to time. Sometimes people will have their dog off the leash (signs/lease say leashed dogs only) and the dog will immediately run off towards us. I have had to pick ours up to avoid the two going at it. I feel like it is a good thing to do - you don't have to have your dog at your side in a 3ft radius, just to have the ability to stop them if they don't listen. Some dogs here are very well behaved.

Reported to the NAACP. Or is it the NAASPCA.

I'm an animal lover, and I am not a rules-lover, but there are some rules that are necessary. Keeping your dog on a leash when not on your own property is one of them. No food or glass in or near the pool is another. On the other hand, dress codes suck.

My experience with people from the city that come out where I live in the country is most of them have animals with zero training, the mutts have some herding breed mixed in them, and off-leash the damn things are a danger as they go crazy around the horses. And many city folks I ask to put their dog on a leash BEFORE someone gets hurt tell me THEIR dog is not a problem because, well, their dog "likes horses".

It's not the dogs fault; they are just doing what comes from instinct and temperament. Most dog owners these days are friggin' clueless imo.

And that's my grumpy old man rant for today. Clarkie, don't bother grading it please.

CC286 got beat up by you grumpy old men, (as an aside, at 56 do I qualify agewise anyway) so I'll take some of the heat off of him. I was Walking my 14 yr. old black Lab, Samantha on the docks at the nearby marina. Normally I walk her off leash as she is very good at staying nearby me. Going down one of the piers an old guy on his boat tells me that there is a rule that requires all dogs be on a leash and he feels that if he has to follow the rules, so should I. I look at my aged dog and say " You are correct, Come on Samantha lets get you on your leash before you attack this grumpy old man" .

I have always felt that rules should be enforced for the troublemakers and that if you or your dog or your children or your wife are not bothering anyone, just leave it alone.

I am not a big rules for rules sake. You don't bother me, and I won't bother you.

Question.
If my dog can be aggressive towards other dogs and I have my dog on a leash and your unleashed dog comes up to my dog and my dog bites your dog...
The leash rule is actually protecting both animals brcause mine may hurt yours and I will have to put mine down when you tell the popo that my dog bit your dog.

I'm an animal lover, and I am not a rules-lover, but there are some rules that are necessary...like all the rules that I think are necessary. Now dress codes (they have dress codes in Florida?) are a needed and necessary thing. e.g. Walmart people!

Whereas, I would allow dogs in restaurant but ban children, except Those on a leash.

Ruining it for the rest since 1962

I'm an animal lover, and I am not a rules-lover, but there are some rules that are necessary...like all the rules that I think are necessary. Now dress codes (they have dress codes in Florida?) are a needed and necessary thing. e.g. Walmart people!
I try to avoid Walmart and leave them to themselves. If someone goes to Walmart, they deserve what they see.

Whereas, I would allow dogs in restaurant but ban children, except Those on a leash.
I would gladly make that trade!
Ruining it for the rest since 1962
There are always exceptions. If your dog really is well behaved and answers to your call, I would be ok with it. But most people that say their dog always comes when called mean when they are home and offering a treat.

But at least clean up after your dog. Sometimes I am afraid I will die in prison for killing the owner of the dog who's poop I just stepped in barefooted. Because in Florida, we have no dress codes and don't aways wear shoes.

I try to avoid Walmart and leave them to themselves. If someone goes to Walmart, they deserve what they see.

I would gladly make that trade!

There are always exceptions. If your dog really is well behaved and answers to your call, I would be ok with it. But most people that say their dog always comes when called mean when they are home and offering a treat.

But at least clean up after your dog. Sometimes I am afraid I will die in prison for killing the owner of the dog who's poop I just stepped in barefooted. Because in Florida, we have no dress codes and don't aways wear shoes.

Y'all really need a dress code in Fl. Especially at the beach

There are always exceptions. If your dog really is well behaved and answers to your call, I would be ok with it.

See, that is my point. My old dog bothers no one. If the old man had not looked up from what he was doing, he would not even have known we walked by. Why did he even have to bring it up. Sometimes, I am afraid that I will go to because I will the next mean SOB.

Last edited:

So what yer sayin' is that you were in an area where there was a rule. You chose not to follow said rule and someone called you out. You went on to say that even though the rule is for everyone, in your mind the rule is only for the troublemakers and not for non-bothering people like yourself. That about sum it up?

Just trying to get it straight. And BTW, you're older than I am. ;)

So what yer sayin' is that you were in an area where there was a rule. You chose not to follow said rule and someone called you out. You went on to say that even though the rule is for everyone, in your mind the rule is only for the troublemakers and not for non-bothering people like yourself. That about sum it up?

Just trying to get it straight. And BTW, you're older than I am. ;)

Yes...yes, I'll go along with that.

I also view traffic signs as suggestions.

I prefer a set of values to a set of rules. 10 Comandments and FAR's not withstanding.

Last edited:
Haha actually I think most people agreed with my Grump Old People rant.

Sad that you live so far away...

We need engineers here if you ever think of moving. The sky is probably hazier for flying but we have a beach.

No, you actually looked kind of childish and rude to publicly argue with a neighbor woman in her 70s. Whether you were in the right or not, if your life is not enriched enough where that sort of thing can get inside your head and cause you to obsess over it to the point of "ranting" about it on a flying website, then you are possibly many things, none of which is well regarded. ;)

Sad that you live so far away...

We need engineers here if you ever think of moving. The sky is probably hazier for flying but we have a beach.

Haha...guess I will keep that in mind if I stick to engineering. I'll most likely be moving once I start working for the airlines ;)

It would actually be nice to live somewhere where you can get some IFR flying. I've never been to North Carolina, but I hear it is a beautiful state...or maybe that was South Carolina...

No, you actually looked kind of childish and rude to publicly argue with a neighbor woman in her 70s. Whether you were in the right or not, if your life is not enriched enough where that sort of thing can get inside your head and cause you to obsess over it to the point of "ranting" about it on a flying website, then you are possibly many things, none of which is well regarded. ;)

Haha...I see you are from New York. I know that is common place to treat people like that back there. So I completely understand where your coming from ;)

This is an online forum and I like to talk random topics with my pilot buddies. No different than an in person conversation.

Last edited:
Yes...yes, I'll go along with that.

I also view traffic signs as suggestions.

Sure. Why should you have to wear your seatbelt when you've never flown through the windshield? Why should you have to pay taxes for things you've never used or benefited from? Why should you obey rules that you don't agree with? Why should others have to obey rules that YOU want them to obey, when they feel those rules don't apply to them? It's NOT a democracy. It's not a free-for-all. There are rules, and there are some who follow the rules and others who choose to disregard them and ruin things. If you don't like it, then save your pennies and buy your own island with a wild doggydock. You don't even have to pick up after your dog on your own island. Calling someone "grumpy" out loud just because they asked you to follow a rule is just typical of 2018 social norms where many people act elite or above the rules/laws, and have zero respect for humanity. There's a lot more to life than you, or me. There's a whole planet full of people who are trying to live life, enjoy what time they have, and not get stepped on. Let it go. Try pretending that person is someone you know, or someone who knows you. Seriously. You'd act a whole lot different if the stories they tell about you around town included your name, and the people hearing the stories knew you, too. What do you gain be being vile toward another person? A cool story? Nope. You get more vile and jaded. Let love rule. Give peace a chance. And so forth. When is the last time you told a story about how you helped someone out for no good reason other than to be kind?

(*THAT* was a rant. People need to step up their game.)

Sure. Why should you have to wear your seatbelt when you've never flown through the windshield? Why should you have to pay taxes for things you've never used or benefited from? Why should you obey rules that you don't agree with? Why should others have to obey rules that YOU want them to obey, when they feel those rules don't apply to them? It's NOT a democracy. It's not a free-for-all. There are rules, and there are some who follow the rules and others who choose to disregard them and ruin things. If you don't like it, then save your pennies and buy your own island with a wild doggydock. You don't even have to pick up after your dog on your own island. Calling someone "grumpy" out loud just because they asked you to follow a rule is just typical of 2018 social norms where many people act elite or above the rules/laws, and have zero respect for humanity. There's a lot more to life than you, or me. There's a whole planet full of people who are trying to live life, enjoy what time they have, and not get stepped on. Let it go. Try pretending that person is someone you know, or someone who knows you. Seriously. You'd act a whole lot different if the stories they tell about you around town included your name, and the people hearing the stories knew you, too. What do you gain be being vile toward another person? A cool story? Nope. You get more vile and jaded. Let love rule. Give peace a chance. And so forth. When is the last time you told a story about how you helped someone out for no good reason other than to be kind?

Bolded statements. I know you don't agree with what I said in the other thread, but what you said is spot on. I guess that is why I am confused by what you said. My ENTIRE story was essentially what you just posted. We were minding our own business and someone decided they were going to make it THEIR business, act elite and have zero respect for anyone. The difference is I did not let it slide (because quite frankly she didn't WANT to let it slide). You are correct that the best thing would have been to simply leave (that probably would have ****ed her off even more).

I'm just saying that what you wrote is basically spot on in terms of what I was trying to convey in my thread.

And the personal attack was way out of line. You can disagree with what I said, without personally attacking me. No one is perfect, but to say that I am "possibly many things, none of which is well regarded" is a reflection of your character not mine. You don't know me, my accomplishments, my faults, etc. I wouldn't say the same thing about you because I have never met you. In person.

I know a few people on here who said someone's online persona was that of a complete jerk, but in person they were the complete opposite. I'd keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Haha...I see you are from New York. I know that is common place to treat people like that back there. So I completely understand where your coming from ;)

This is an online forum and I like to talk random topics with my pilot buddies. No different than an in person conversation.

Can I call you a grumpy old man?

It's "you're" and you'd be well received where I come from. You probably think that New York is one giant paved state full of skyscrapers and cityslickers. I've lived in the Phoenix area, in those "well off" areas that you like to refer to now and then. Some nice people out west. Some evil people, too. That's just life. If you think that you completely understand where I'm coming from, then I will tell you I don't believe you. ;) People don't run their mouths around here too often, because everyone knows everyone else, and we all try to get along. It's a lot more fun that way. :)

It's "you're" and you'd be well received where I come from. You probably think that New York is one giant paved state full of skyscrapers and cityslickers. I've lived in the Phoenix area, in those "well off" areas that you like to refer to now and then. Some nice people out west. Some evil people, too. That's just life. If you think that you completely understand where I'm coming from, then I will tell you I don't believe you. ;) People don't run their mouths around here too often, because everyone knows everyone else, and we all try to get along. It's a lot more fun that way. :)

Oh yea I see your upstate New York. Okay I admit I am wrong about that one lol. My coworker (retired) and main engineering mentor was from upstate New York. I agree...different world.

I try not to worry about my grammar too much on an online forum.

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Be kind. Beers for everybody.

I do my best...we aren't all perfect. After confronting her I did my best to have a *mostly* civil conversation with her so that we could at least understand where she was coming from. She had no interest, but to ridicule me. At least I tried.

Some years ago I was at a cookout and a man had a well behaved black lab with him. Someone told him the dog had to be on a leash. He said “Okay,” pulled out a leash, and clipped it to the dogs collar. He then held out the other end, the dog took it in his mouth, and they walked away with the dog at heel, happily walking himself.

But, I do wear a seatbelt.

Are you kin to Kristin?

We are dog lovers. However, my daughter panics and runs away if she sees a dog without a leash coming towards her . She will even run across the street without looking for traffic. If you were in my shoes, would you blame your daughter, or the person walking the dog without a leash?

We are dog lovers. However, my daughter panics and runs away if she sees a dog without a leash coming towards her . She will even run across the street without looking for traffic. If you were in my shoes, would you blame your daughter, or the person walking the dog without a leash?

I think you just made a strong argument for keeping your daughter on a leash. Was that your intent?

I think you just made a strong argument for keeping your daughter on a leash. Was that your intent?
Why would you suggest that people should leash their children instead of dog owners leashing their dogs as required by law?

No, but I doubt that’s the only possible cause.
So? It is an identified cause and that should not be overlooked. In other words I believe your suggestion to leash a child instead of leashing a dog as required by law was inappropriate and just an ill thought out smart-ass remark.

So? It is an identified cause and that should not be overlooked. In other words I believe your suggestion to leash a child instead of leashing a dog as required by law was inappropriate and just an ill thought out smart-ass remark.

I think he was kidding. We all make funny remarks here on PoA, as do you.

Keeping a dog on a leash in a public area,makes people who fear dogs,more relaxed.

And monkeys throw poo when they’re threatened. :)

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Be kind. Beers for everybody.

Frost is a favorite, but the poem only applies to some things. Getting up every day intending to crap your pants in public, is certainly the road less travelled, and probably not a great idea.

Why would you suggest that people should leash their children instead of dog owners leashing their dogs as required by law?

I’d prefer they properly socialize that screwed up kid with dogs instead of enabling the phobia. They already know the kid has a serious problem.

Take the kid to the local dog trainer and explain the problem, and most dog trainers could both figure out a number of great dogs to have the kid meet, and figure out what the parents are doing to enhance the kid’s problem.

Most dog trainers spend more time training humans than training dogs. Dogs are easy compared to their idiot owners. Honest dog trainers will even admit it.

We laughed when we realized our dog trainer was using the exact same techniques on the human owners as the dogs... ignoring the humans when they were purposefully misbehaving, correcting their behavior, praising them when they handled their dogs correctly... funny stuff once you caught on...

“I think Ted growled at me today...”, “Oh definitely, you deserved it too!”... as we’d both laugh about it in the car going home.

By the way, I’m grumpy this is in a new thread.

The old grumpy thread was fine, and change is not appreciated by us old grumps. :)

Back