GRUMMANS

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
I am looking at buying a Grumman, the 2 seaters, any good forums/websites that can provide me with some additional information. Also any recommendations on A&Ps that specialize in Grummans for pre-buys in the Sacramento, CA area. Any other advice on them will greatly be appreciated.

Here: http://www.grumman.net/

And here: www.aya.org

Also here for parts, and info: http://fletchair.com/

Call them, they are very friendly. If you buy one, you'll be calling them for parts anyway.

The 'hot' ones are the 69 and 70 AA1 with a 108HP engine and a slicker wing. The AA1-C is also fast but on more HP with a slightly higher weight. They are fast and nimble, and a joy to fly with great visibility. Puts the C150 and the Traumahawk to shame.

Last edited:
Sweet thanks. Hopefully I can get some operating cost numbers.

5GPH at econ cruise, annuals are usually not a surprise. A few simple ADs to take care of. Hull insurance cost is a bit higher than others due to it's accident record which is rather bad, but has improved some. Liability is a bit less than similar, so it should work out about the same as any other 2 seater.

I would say if you can afford to operate a C150/152 you can operate a AA-1. Do NOT fly at full gross or overload them on hot days. Use a touch of flaps on takeoff on a hot day, and accelerate well past rotation speed, maybe 70-75MPH before pulling it off or you will settle back into the ground.

5GPH at econ cruise, annuals are usually not a surprise. A few simple ADs to take care of. Hull insurance cost is a bit higher than others due to it's accident record which is rather bad, but has improved some. Liability is a bit less than similar, so it should work out about the same as any other 2 seater.

I would say if you can afford to operate a C150/152 you can operate a AA-1. Do NOT fly at full gross or overload them on hot days. Use a touch of flaps on takeoff on a hot day, and accelerate well past rotation speed, maybe 70-75MPH before pulling it off or you will settle back into the ground.

I am looking for something for two adults + 100lbs luggage. so useful load of about 450.

Go with the AA-1C. A bit more pricey but you can likely make that with a good one and a climb prop. Or, better yet step up to the 1975 and 1975 only AA-5 Traveler. Has four seats, 150HP, great cruise numbers and is moderately more comfy. Or, step up just a bit more and get the Cheetah. Both are better than the AA-1 series. If you stick with the AA1, be careful on takeoffs from hot locations.

I got to fly an AA-5 the other day. Got to say I really liked it.

Never flown the two seaters but I have a (very) little stick time in an AA5-B tiger, it would be my choice if I was buying a 180hp class plane

2 AA-1C Seater felt.... like a golf cart.

The one I flew needed brake work bad, didn't track well and the tires seemed out of round or unbalanced. This one was a 160 horse conversion and it still wasn't impressive. I really wonder if the cam shaft timing was off by a tooth or the prop had waaaayyy too agressive pitch. Only way to get to redline RPM was straight & level maybe a slight decent at full throttle :yikes:.

I am looking for something for two adults + 100lbs luggage. so useful load of about 450.
If those two adults together weight only 218 lb, then that useful load will work, but I think you mean a payload of 450 lb, and that may not be within the reach of any of the AA-1x's. Typical full-fuel payload is under 400 lb, even on most AA-1C's, and full fuel is only 22 gallons (132 lb) to start with. AA-1C's typically weight near 1100 lb empty, and with a 1600 lb MGW, that leaves not much more than 500 lb useful load, and that translates to less than 400 lb payload with full fuel. I think you folks would either need to go on a serious diet or learn to travel with a lot less baggage to make an AA-1x work.

Doc's suggestion of an AA-5/5A Traveler/Cheetah makes a lot of sense for your plans, particularly if you're traveling any distance, because range on the 2-seaters is pretty limited unless you don't mind landing with nothing but fumes in your tanks. We owned an AA-1B for four years, and never planned more than 2.5 VFR or 2.0 IFR to have adequate reserves for my comfort level (60 minutes fuel in the tanks on landing) -- typical fuel burn is more like 6 gph in cruise. Yes, you can throttle back to 5 gph to extend range, but folks don't by a speedy plane in order to go slow.

You can extend AA-1x range with the 10 gallon aux tanks, but there is no MGW increase with those, so they take a 60 lb bite out of your payload, and that pretty much limits you to either solo flying or no baggage at all.

Last edited:
If those two adults together weight only 218 lb, then that useful load will work, but I think you mean a payload of 450 lb, and that may not be within the reach of any of the AA-1x's. Typical full-fuel payload is under 400 lb, even on most AA-1C's, and full fuel is only 22 gallons (132 lb) to start with. AA-1C's typically weight near 1100 lb empty, and with a 1600 lb MGW, that leaves not much more than 500 lb useful load, and that translates to less than 400 lb payload with full fuel. I think you folks would either need to go on a serious diet or learn to travel with a lot less baggage to make an AA-1x work.

Doc's suggestion of an AA-5/5A Traveler/Cheetah makes a lot of sense for your plans, particularly if you're traveling any distance, because range on the 2-seaters is pretty limited unless you don't mind landing with nothing but fumes in your tanks. We owned an AA-1B for four years, and never planned more than 2.5 VFR or 2.0 IFR to have adequate reserves for my comfort level (60 minutes fuel in the tanks on landing) -- typical fuel burn is more like 6 gph in cruise. Yes, you can throttle back to 5 gph to extend range, but folks don't by a speedy plane in order to go slow.

You can extend AA-1x range with the 10 gallon aux tanks, but there is no MGW increase with those, so they take a 60 lb bite out of your payload, and that pretty much limits you to either solo flying or no baggage at all.

I found some with an stc for 160hp that looks to have increased the gross weight: http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=1272331&lp=CNT

If this is the case then this would work well.

I had an AA-1B with an O-320, standard tanks, increased GW (1600 lbs) ... full-fuel payload was 327 lbs.
(FWIW, I wouldn't want an AA-1x without an O-320)

Plane worked great for me - but I weigh 100 lbs

Last edited:
I found some with an stc for 160hp that looks to have increased the gross weight: http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=1272331&lp=CNT

Read the STC carefully. All the one's I've ever seen didn't offer a gross increase. So, if it's in the STC you are good on a paperwork basis! There is no way in the world I would put 2200Lbs in any AA-1 airframe. Just no way, I don't care what the STC says. If you get something like this, better be sure you have a climb prop or you aren't going anywhere with all that tonnage.

That weight listed is coincidentally the exact gross weight of the AA-5A, which is a different wing, and tail asm. I would be skeptical unless I read the STC very closely. the AA-1 has what's called the 'small tail', and with a bigger engine up front you could be looking at all kinds of exciting performance issues above 1600lbs.

What would fit my mission then?

typically 350nm trips and local flights for 2 adults + bags? Id like something that cruise somewhat similar to a AA1C. Ideally a good ifr trainer as well.

Maybe I should look into the experimental side?

Last edited:
The plane in Controller was advertised by someone unfamiliar with the make. The highest GW is the AA1C with 0-320 STC and that is 1684 lbs. GW. Just looked again and it's broker listed. He probably wrote AA5 weights.

typically 350nm trips and local flights for 2 adults + bags? Id like something that cruise somewhat similar to a AA1C. Ideally a good ifr trainer as well.

If you like the Grummans why not look at a Cheetah or a Tiger? There's probably something out there in the $40k range that would be a great traveler for 2+bags and you would have no problem with IFR training either, especially if you can grab one with a 430W.

I'd like to see the paperwork on this -- that's an increase in MGW of over 600 lb, and I know of no approval for that. The increase with the O-320 engine STC is 5%, roughly equal to the increase in empty weight due to the bigger engine, so you get no real increase in useful load. Also, I know of no approval for 38 gallon fuel capacity as advertised -- most I know of is the two 5-gal aux tanks to give you 32 gallons, but that does not include any increase in MGW. Something is either very fishy or this is a unique field approval that I've never heard of, and there isn't much about Grummans about which I've never heard.

Further, the airframe log over 20 years after the airplane was built, there's no reference to any expanded fuel capacity, and the log entry for the O-320 engine has no reference to any STC or field approval. The engine log has no total time and doesn't start until 1999 when it was installed on this Yankee, and there is no record of an appropriate propeller being installed. And this is an AA-1, not an AA-1A

All things considered, this is so strange I'm calling to find out...

...and the answer is...

The broker putting up the ad just inadvertently copied some wrong numbers, which is why the MGW and fuel capacity are those for an AA-5, not an AA-1A (and yes, this is an AA-1A, not an AA-1). If someone's interested in purchasing the plane, they'll be put in touch with the seller to get the actual details. However, this airplane is definitely not some specially capable AA-1A with some unique field approval for those weights and capacities, so figure on 22 gallons fuel capacity.

As for empty and usable weights, 1271 lb EW is about 200 lb more than it was when it was built, and the engine upgrade won't account for more than about 75 lb increase in EW. My guess is that the empty weight is more like 1150, and the MGW is about 1640, giving a 490 lb useful load and 360 lb payload with full 22 gallons of fuel. You'd really have to contact the seller (not the broker) to get the exact data.

Not any AA-1x of any approved configuration. An AA-5A Cheetah (with the optional 51-gallon "long range" with which about 95% of Cheetahs left the factory) would be perfect, and AA-5 Traveler would be very good (37 gallons usable -- could be skosh for 350nm IFR with a headwind and an alternate required)

That's a whole different world. Make sure you understand all the advantages and disadvantages of going the E-AB route before you do that. Note that if you go the E-AB route for your IR training, there is always the problem of finding a DPE willing to give a practical test in one. DPE's do have the option to decline to fly in E-AB's, and I know several who simply do not, and others who are picky about them, reserving their decision until they personally inspect the plane.

If you like the Grummans why not look at a Cheetah or a Tiger? There's probably something out there in the $40k range that would be a great traveler for 2+bags and you would have no problem with IFR training either, especially if you can grab one with a 430W.
You're not likely to find much of a Tiger for $40K, but funny you should mention the word "Traveler," as I think that would be a great fit for the OP's mission (the fuel capacity issue mentioned above notwithstanding) and you can probably find a very nice one for that price (or a cheaper one with money left over for upgrades).

I am looking at buying a Grumman, the 2 seaters, any good forums/websites that can provide me with some additional information. Also any recommendations on A&Ps that specialize in Grummans for pre-buys in the Sacramento, CA area. Any other advice on them will greatly be appreciated.

I don't know how they fly but they are not fun to move out of the way if they're parked in front of you in the hangar without a towbar. They're not really fun to push backwards with a towbar. :D

I don't know how they fly but they are not fun to move out of the way if they're parked in front of you in the hangar without a towbar. They're not really fun to push backwards with a towbar. :D
But it's a lot of fun watching people compete in the Broken Tow Bar event every summer at the AYA convention as they try to push an AA-1 backwards through a twisty course without benefit of a tow bar. Regrettably, the event must be rated R for the language of the contestants.

I would say forget the AA-1. It's a toy plane, suitable for VFR flights of 2-ish hours or a bit more. With the O-320 engine, two hours aloft would be stretching it.

Look at the 1975 and later AA-5. Not a great IFR trainer as they are a bit twitchy on the controls, but certainly doable. It will teach you to 'fly the plane' as you take on other tasks associated with IFR nav, planning and aircraft management.

350NM is right at 3 hours aloft, and I don't care who you are, after 3 hours you want to get out and stretch and take a bio break. At 8GPH running around 120kts that will be just about right, and leave you 12-ish gallons to play with on the std tanks, or to the tabs on the LR tanks.

This is what I would buy right now. High time airframe, but new wings direct from Fletchair, whom I trust completely. Has A/P and fair radios. int plastic is warped a bit just like all of them, but the panel overlay is quite nice. Offer $28, settle on $30, get it checked out by Fletchair and enjoy for years.

http://barnstormers.com/classified_784349_1977+AA5A+Cheetah.html

I would say forget the AA-1. It's a toy plane, suitable for VFR flights of 2-ish hours or a bit more. With the O-320 engine, two hours aloft would be stretching it.
I agree. At a typical 8.5 gph burn rate, the stock fuel tanks give you only about 2+40 time to silence. Of course, you can throttle back to 5-6 gph and have more time aloft going at stock engine cruise speeds, and use the extra power only for takeoff and climb, so you get 3+40 to 4 hours endurance, but nobody really does that.

Look at the 1975 and later AA-5. Not a great IFR trainer as they are a bit twitchy on the controls, but certainly doable. It will teach you to 'fly the plane' as you take on other tasks associated with IFR nav, planning and aircraft management.
There is no such thing as a post-1975 AA-5 -- that's the last year they made the Traveler. The follow-on AA-5A Cheetah was introduced with the 1976 model year and the Traveler was then terminated. However, if you can live with only 4+20 endurance, I see no reason not to look at 1972-74 Travelers as well as the 1975 model, and you can probably find some good deals on AA-5 Travelers compared to the later AA-5A Cheetah which replaced it.

350NM is right at 3 hours aloft, and I don't care who you are, after 3 hours you want to get out and stretch and take a bio break. At 8GPH running around 120kts that will be just about right, and leave you 12-ish gallons to play with on the std tanks, or to the tabs on the LR tanks.
The long range tanks were never available on the AA-5 Travelers built 1972-75, only the AA-5A Cheetah, which were built 1976-79. While the were technically optional, about 95% of the Cheetahs left the factory with them.

This is what I would buy right now. High time airframe, but new wings
The wings have a 12,000/12,500 hour life (center vs outer spar), so unless you're looking at one of those 10,000+ hour Cheetahs used by that air freight outfit, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The only other limited life components are the wing shoulder bolts at 7250 hours, but those are only $140 for all four and don't take long to replace.

There is no such thing as a post-1975 AA-5 -- that's the last year they made the Traveler.

Don't be pedantic, you know what I meant, and that the LR tanks were for the latter versions of the AA-5. I've had three of them of varying years, I know the airplane.

Don't be pedantic, you know what I meant, and that the LR tanks were for the latter versions of the AA-5. I've had three of them of varying years, I know the airplane.
I do and you do, but people who don't know the type (like the broker who posted the ad mentioned above) probably don't.

But it's a lot of fun watching people compete in the Broken Tow Bar event every summer at the AYA convention as they try to push an AA-1 backwards through a twisty course without benefit of a tow bar. Regrettably, the event must be rated R for the language of the contestants.

Need more practice, I've always found it easy:dunno:

You're not likely to find much of a Tiger for $40K, but funny you should mention the word "Traveler," as I think that would be a great fit for the OP's mission (the fuel capacity issue mentioned above notwithstanding) and you can probably find a very nice one for that price (or a cheaper one with money left over for upgrades).

My first plane was a 1978 Tiger we bought with 3500 TT and 1,000 hours left to TBO and paid 35k for it. I put in a new interior, we added a 430 and had a sweet custom paint job with Cirrus paint and sold it 2 years later for 60k with no engine work. Probably not a deal you can expect but if you have the time to look you can always find a good deal. Still my personal favorite plane to fly!

Had a 74 Traveler. Awesome plane but range and speed wasn't up to my specs. Great handling, open canopy, great vis, and good looks. Look for leaky fuel tanks and landing gear bracket corrosion where it attaches to the spar. Oh yeah, make sure the nose gear has the correct amount of friction (I believe 18-20 lbs). Too lose and it'll be like a shopping cart wheel.

My first plane was a 1978 Tiger we bought with 3500 TT and 1,000 hours left to TBO and paid 35k for it.
Must have been a long time ago, and as you said, mid-time engine, inadequate avionics, and paint needed. Based on what I see of Grumman selling prices lately, $35K will get you a nice Traveler, a decent Cheetah, or a Tiger that needs work.

No stock 2-seat trainer is going to legally carry 2 adults + 100 lb luggage with full fuel. I owned an AA1A and it had a full tanks useful load of 370 lb. That's 2 adults and a toothbrush. Maybe. What you need is a 4-seat aircraft. My current AA5 has a full fuel useful load of 680 lb.

Both the AA1 and AA5 series are fun to fly and affordable to own.

Had a 74 Traveler. Awesome plane but range and speed wasn't up to my specs. Great handling, open canopy, great vis, and good looks. Look for leaky fuel tanks and landing gear bracket corrosion where it attaches to the spar. Oh yeah, make sure the nose gear has the correct amount of friction (I believe 18-20 lbs). Too lose and it'll be like a shopping cart wheel.

Find out if the nose strut has been coming out per the MM, if it has it is cake to do, if it hasn't been done in a decade or two not so much.:mad2:

BTW, "Mean" Gene Plazak was working on an STC to increase MGW on the O-320-powered AA-1x's by something like 200 lb over stock instead of just the extra engine weight, which would allow them to carry two adults plus 100 lb baggage. However, that would effectively negate most of the takeoff/climb performance improvements the extra power provides, although not a lot of the speed improvement. Not sure how far he got on that before his medical situation ended his working days. I think Ken Blackman may be picking up that work, but it's not something you'd want to bet on being completed by buying one of the planes now and hoping it comes through later.

Another great resource for info that comes from actual Grumman owners is the "Grumman Gang" mailing list. It's free to join, folks post real questions and answers almost daily.

As a newish Tiger owner myself, I learn something almost every time it comes in my email.

Request to sign up here:

grumman-gang-request@mailman.xmission.com

I love my Tiger!

Back