Grumman Cheetah vent box

PhantomPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PhantomPilot
Bought a Grumman Cheetah in Oregon, brought it to Minnesota. On the last leg had problems with the mic plug receptacle so used the pax side plug-ins and the pax side PTT.
Anybody out there know how to drop the vent box to be able to get access to the mic receptacle? The former owner said he knew that the receptacle was starting to have problems…..Thanks!!!

Don't know the answer, but you should join Grumman Gang mailing list and ask there. There is also a Grumman Owner and PIlot's Association (GOPA) facebook group, as well as a Grumman Planes facebook group. All three are great resources.

Don't know the answer, but you should join Grumman Gang mailing list and ask there. There is also a Grumman Owner and PIlot's Association (GOPA) facebook group, as well as a Grumman Planes facebook group. All three are great resources.
Joined GOPA right away. There are seven pilots in the USA who are NOT on Facebook, and I’m one of them (for now). Hoping for a reply from a Maint. Shop that I’ve got a call into…..thanks for your reply!

You'll find the Grumman Gang (Grumman.net) to be a more active source of advice (unless you can directly contact an AA5X knowledgeable A&P). Here is a link to the GG archive discussing removal of the vent box to access the back of the master switch. Consensus was that it's easier to remove one of the panel instruments and work through the hole rather than remove the vent box and work from underneath (http://grumman.net/archive/1999/msg01333.html).

Depending on what you need to do and where your sockets are located in the panel, you may be able to access the back of the sockets from the top with the glare shield removed (5 screws at the front of the glare shield where it meets the hard plastic eyebrow overhang. I had an issue with the socket nuts loosening and allowing the socket to rotate enough that two wires shorted and made the socket inop. All that was needed was to rotate the socket slightly from behind, hold it in that position, and tighten the nut with a nut driver.

Ten thousand “thank-you’s” to you!! The receptacles are right next to the ignition switch…looks like it’s going to be about as much fun as changing out the spark plugs by going through the exhaust system…I’ll keep you apprised!

I have a grumman. There are 2 holes in the bottom of the box. Stick a screw drive up in there and find the screws. the vent is attached to the NACA scoop with globs of RTV or similar so you got to deal with that. seal it good or get wet carpet. I avoid removal at all costs but you look like you got no choice.

Scott: sincerest thanks! I got a call from a maint. Shop that said the exact same thing …Phillips screws. First brief attempt to “find” the screws was not successful but I’m willing to try again. The location of the turn coordinator makes it the favored, minimally invasive method for an attempt to reach the receptacle without removing the vent box; hope to tackle that within the next few days…!

Back