Grumman Cheetah/Tiger with CS prop?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
I’ve read about STC’s for this in the past, and True Flight Aerospace is offering an STC as well as fuel injection conversion, though so far only their prototype is the only aircraft currently flying. https://trueflightaerospace.com/latest-news/

For Grummans that have had this conversion, how much did it improve the takeoff and climb performance? And did it also make a big difference in climb to high altitudes? I posted a thread awhile back about how AA5’s performed in high altitude cruise (around 10k ft), and the responses were that while it did take some time to climb, it performed quite well once there.

The MT electric prop is available for the Tigers. The main benefit is improved climb, especially at max gross weight. I think the consensus is that it doesn't improve cruise speed at all. You might also checkout the Facebook pages for Grumman Pilots Associations and Grumman Tiger and Cheetah Planes - lots of good information on those forums.

As a long time Grumman owner, first a Cheetah and now a Tiger, I have not heard anything about this for a long time. I think the “update” from True Flight is a very old one. Nothing has been mentioned about this on the Grumman Gang list server or GOPA, the Grumman users group.

There was an effort back in early 2000’s to obtain an STC for an IO-360 and constant speed prop. That never came to fruition.
"Our current plans foresee completion of the STC late this year."
^^^ Notice that they didn't say which year. :)

There was an effort back in early 2000’s to obtain an STC for an IO-360 and constant speed prop. That never came to fruition.
If you look at the URL for the picture, it was apparently posted August 2012.

And if you search the Internet for the tail number, apparently the ones with the True Flight logo on the tail date from 2015.

"Our current plans foresee completion of the STC late this year."
^^^ Notice that they didn't say which year. :)
"Yes sir boss! I'll have it done by Tuesday ... "

Back