Grumman C-2A Greyhound aircrew

tomdocherty72

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tomdocherty72
Any current or ex- C-2A Greyhound aircrew about on this forum? Looking for information.:confused:

Fifty years of service and not one reply from any Greyhound aircrew. Where are you all hiding. Someone on this forum must have flown the type surely?

Fifty years of service and not one reply from any Greyhound aircrew. Where are you all hiding. Someone on this forum must have flown the type surely?
We have a few guys who are fighter pilots and some P-3 folks, but I don't know of any E-2/C-2 folks hanging around this board.

I live under the traffic pattern of Chambers Field and have plenty of experience looking at the underside of C-2s doing patternwork. Does that count?

I know a few of them and will be their passenger in a couple short days.....I'm not a fan of riding the COD.....but they are around

I've been a pax on one. One cat shot and one trap, does that count? :D

Last edited:
I know a few of them and will be their passenger in a couple short days.....I'm not a fan of riding the COD.....but they are around

A Hornet guy's gotta ride the COD out to the boat? That sucks right there!

1000 hours in the hummer but 0 in the COD for me. Good friend of mine was a greyhound pilot - I could pass on questions if you want.

Thanks 35 AoA,

Don't suppose you could overcome your fear of COD flying and ask the pilots to contact me?

Hi Greg, that would be great. I am hoping to get responses from Greyhound pilots about:

The flying characteristics of the C-2A.
Was/is it an easy aircraft to fly?
Was/is it an effective means of supplying carriers?
What were/are the dangers of flying the type - could you get into trouble easily on the edge of its flight envelope?
Was/is the cockpit ergonomically easy to work in or was it a bit like being a one-armed paper hanger?
What was its strongest virtue?
What was its greatest vice?
Was/is it an easy aircraft to learn to fly?

Hopefully some of your contacts will respond. If you need my email address send me a PM and I will let you have it.

Thanks

Tom

Hi S Joslin, no, not really!
Yep. I was aboard the USS Nimitz attached to VMFA-314 during the '97-'98 "World Cruise". The boat was in the Persian Gulf doing it's normal "on station" routine. One of our F/A-18's had engine problems during a mission and had to land at an airbase in Kuwait. Our squadron sent a handful of mechs, from the Nimitz, into Kuwait to fix the broke jet.

One cat shot in the COD, COD lands in Kuwait, picks us up a couple of days later, one trap in the COD. Not the most enjoyable flying experience I've ever had...

Back