Grumman AA-5B Mechanic

I'm gonna go with, the numerous nescient and fatuous comments that you have posted over your many years on various internet forums regarding the make.
Simply trying to break the fallacy that these little aircraft are something special. and that they have detriments just like all other aircraft.

I'm gonna go with, the numerous nescient and fatuous comments that you have posted over your many years on various internet forums regarding the make.
Show me a statement I've made you can prove was wrong? (Nescient or Fatuous)

3. not great off airport.
4. cockpit gets wet when it is raining and you got to get in/out.
5. very local parts supply. = pricy

If it's an airframe part, they're available and may be pricey, but I never needed one in 10 years. Everything FWF is normal items. Brake pads were $12 for all of them last time I purchased at aircraft spruce.

I owned a Tiger for a couple of years and upgraded to an RV for more or less the same reasons as @danhagan - mostly better high altitude performance, since I'm based well above 6000' now.

I agree with most here that a Tiger is one of the best bang-for-buck, fun and inexpensive, short to medium length cross country birds around. If you pick a good one and don't bend it, your maintenance and operations costs are going to be low. The front seat visibility, open-in-flight canopy and lots of other features really set it apart (I really miss the easy aerial photography opportunities). But, I also have to agree with @Tom-D that it needs to fit your mission. IMO, if you are not primarily flying from hard surfaced, 2500ft or longer fields, there are far better choices than an AA5B. It also is less than ideal for the Rocky Mountains... :)

I owned a Tiger for a couple of years and upgraded to an RV for more or less the same reasons as @danhagan - mostly better high altitude performance, since I'm based well above 6000' now.

I think you'd look much better in an RV-14 and should pass your curernt RV down to a previous Tiger owner;)

"" did you miss this?
"but it reacts with water to produce ammonium ions and hydroxide ions.""
read the whole link.. you'll find that ammonium is a electrolyte and that will cause corrosion when in contact with two dissimilar metals such as an Aluminum alloys used in the skins of our aircraft.
If you missed my point, I'll make it clear. You should not pressure wash the stripper off, it will drive stuff into the rivet seams that you do not want in there.
Most electrolytes are acids, the stronger the better in batteries, but any left in the seams (no matter how strong) of your aircraft are bad.
Post 24 in the same thread.

"" did you miss this?
"but it reacts with water to produce ammonium ions and hydroxide ions.""
read the whole link.. you'll find that ammonium is a electrolyte and that will cause corrosion when in contact with two dissimilar metals such as an Aluminum alloys used in the skins of our aircraft.
If you missed my point, I'll make it clear. You should not pressure wash the stripper off, it will drive stuff into the rivet seams that you do not want in there.
Most electrolytes are acids, the stronger the better in batteries, but any left in the seams (no matter how strong) of your aircraft are bad.
Post 24 in the same thread.
Here we go again :)
Hydroxide ions are found in basic solutions, not acidic.
How do you figure most electrolytes are acids? A solution of sodium chloride, pH is neutral, is an electrolyte. An electrolyte is merely an ionic substance that dissolves in solution that conducts electricity.
Also, a NiCad battery uses a potassium hydroxide electrolyte- that's basic. I'd like to see you top off your lead-acid battery with the electrolyte for a NiCad.

There's 3 wrong statements right here.

How do you figure most electrolytes are acids? A solution of sodium chloride, pH is neutral, is an electrolyte. An electrolyte is merely an ionic substance that dissolves in solution that conducts electricity.
Also, a NiCad battery uses a potassium hydroxide electrolyte- that's basic. I'd like to see you top off your lead-acid battery with the electrolyte for a NiCad.

There's 3 wrong statements right here.

One thing you have to remember - Tom-D is never wrong!

Holy ****! A Grumman Debate?!?!
I thought we only argued about Cirrus.

I'd say find someone that knows the planes. I am dealing with someone came highly recommended locally and boasts "I've worked on every plane form a cub to a 737"
It is in his shop right now for the 3rd time with the same issue.

3. not great off airport.
4. cockpit gets wet when it is raining and you got to get in/out.
5. very local parts supply. = pricy

And Tom is right, The cockpit gets wet when it rains.
I opened the canopy to get out once when it was raining and things got wet.
Then I got in my car and it got wet too. Both still run somehow. I'm probably just lucky.

And it is terrible off airport. I'm lucky to be alive :rolleyes:

Also, a NiCad battery uses a potassium hydroxide electrolyte- that's basic. I'd like to see you top off your lead-acid battery with the electrolyte for a NiCad. There's 3 wrong statements right here.

solvent is an oil.

How about the long drawn out discussion about magnesium rudder pedals? :rolleyes:

Love me some alodine

And Tom is right, The cockpit gets wet when it rains.
I opened the canopy to get out once when it was raining and things got wet.
Then I got in my car and it got wet too. Both still run somehow. I'm probably just lucky.

And it is terrible off airport. I'm lucky to be alive :rolleyes:
That's not off airport, it's even on the charts. Let's go fishing and land on a river bar.
show me float rigging for one.

One aircraft won't fit all.

Holy ****! A Grumman Debate?!?!
I thought we only argued about Cirrus.

I'd say find someone that knows the planes. I am dealing with someone came highly recommended locally and boasts "I've worked on every plane form a cub to a 737"
It is in his shop right now for the 3rd time with the same issue.

What's the issue? Can't locate the float attach fittings?

Back