Grumman AA-1B

Could you please share some of these special diffrences that only a AYA card carrying member would know? :dunno:
Your obvious disdain doesn't motivate me to answer a question which assumes facts not in evidence.

Last edited:
I went to meet the owner in person today. He is very thorough. You can tell that he really cares for the aircraft. After talking for a couple hours, he said that he would part with it for $13,500 if I wanted to buy it now, or for about $14,500 if I wanted to wait until the leak is fixed. He has two mechanics that are supposed to come out soon and look at it. He said he took it to Fletcher Air and they said that it would not cost more than $1,000. He just doesn't believe in paying for all the overhead and would rather pay a local mechanic to do the work.
If that Fletchair repair quote can be confirmed (call 800-FA-WINGS), and the wing leak is the only thing stopping you, I'd say go for it, take it to Fletchair, and have them fix it. You might even suggest that you'll pay $13,500 plus Fletchair's bill if Fletchair does the repair and a pre-purchase inspection at the same time and nothing else is found.

Maybe the FAA should require Grumman's to be type rated? :skeptical:
Many of them are. But not the ones we're talking about.

I realize that a lot of folks think that all light singles are so simple that anyone who flies/instructs in one is perfectly good to fly/instruct in any other one, but it just ain't so no matter how much some people wish it was. The insurance companies, at least, get that, and that's a major reason why the FAA has stayed out of this area, just as, for example, it's the reason they haven't gotten into any endorsement or rating requirements for glass panels. But if you want quality aircraft type training, you're best off getting an instructor who has significant experience in that aircraft type. For Grummans, your best guarantee of that is the AYA PFP. For Bonanzas, your best guarantee of that is the ABS BPPP. For a Cirrus, your best guarantee of that is the COPA CSIP. And there are good sources for other types. Sure, you can probably find an instructor with 500 in type on any of these without going through those programs, but at least through those programs you can be certain you're getting someone who really knows the type.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your life -- choose wisely.

BTW, I'm neither a BPPP nor a CSIP instructor, so I'm not just blowing my own horn here, just trying to give what I think is sound, reliable advice.

Last edited:
Yes, when given a choice I always seek out a flight instructor with less, or better yet no time in type. I definitely don't want one who has owned one like this, or participated in safety and maintenance seminars with others, and studied type-specific accident reports. If he's spent years exploring the flight envelope of this type he might do something extreme like demonstrating it to me or asking me to learn it. By golly, I want somebody who can tell me everything I need to know about my newly-purchased airplane just by looking at it. Otherwise, how will he show me how skilled and brilliant he is? What is so unique or dangerous about my new airplane that he'd need to read the POH, even?

Then after nothing goes wrong on our comprehensive twenty-minute checkout flight, I can spend the rest of my flying career reinventing the wheel on my own!

:rolleyes:

Yes, when given a choice I always seek out a flight instructor with less, or better yet no time in type. I definitely don't want one who has owned one like this, or participated in safety and maintenance seminars with others, and studied type-specific accident reports. If he's spent years exploring the flight envelope of this type he might do something extreme like demonstrating it to me or asking me to learn it. By golly, I want somebody who can tell me everything I need to know about my newly-purchased airplane just by looking at it. Otherwise, how will he show me how skilled and brilliant he is? What is so unique or dangerous about my new airplane that he'd need to read the POH, even?

Then after nothing goes wrong on our comprehensive twenty-minute checkout flight, I can spend the rest of my flying career reinventing the wheel on my own!

Careful now - sarcasm is lost on some

Sigh

It's not some exotic fire breathin dragon, just find a CFI who isn't wet behind the ears, ideally has some time in something more than a 172s and PA28s.

No need for a Grumman "guru".

For insurance

AVEMCO
https://www.avemco.com/secure/owned-aircraft-insurance.aspx

Air Power
http://www.airpowerinsurance.com

The flip side to that is if I am going to pay an instructor, I want them to know something I'm not going to figure out checking myself out. If they have no special knowledge beyond mine, what the hell am I paying them for?:dunno:

So an Instructor who is not a member of, or has been blessed by, a type club, but has experience with a particular model aircraft shouldn't be giving dual in one? :dunno:

So an Instructor who is not a member of, or has been blessed by, a type club, but has experience with a particular model aircraft shouldn't be giving dual in one? :dunno:

I don't give a crap about anything but what they know. If someone knows an instructor who has significant knowledge and experience with the type, that trumps all.

The question really arises when you don't know who to turn to, where do you look?:dunno: The type clubs are the obvious solution., since many active CFIs with significant type knowledge and experience (including ownership experience which is what you are really looking for) are members of that type club. Type clubs are one of the few social functions of GA and a large reason of why some people choose a certain type, so they can belong.

Are you going to find kooks amongst the ranks of their CFIs? You bet, same as anywhere, just avoid them. You do however also stand the best chance of finding an instructor with the highest level of type knowledge. Type clubs serve a useful roll in GA, no need to disdain them, the industry has enough external enemies.

Last edited:
Since I have no experience in a Gruman, can someone give a few examples of what the average, PPL would not be able to do safely given 30 minutes with a POh and 20 minutes sitting in it on a ramp?

Good luck on "shopping around" for aircraft insurance, especially if he gave the registration number of the aircraft in the quote.

I got a quote from Avemco last year, assumed it would be typical of the market.

As I bought the plane, I tried one of the brokers recommended on POA (Hardy) and got a quote 1/2 what Avemco gave me.

And, I asked them what was driving the costs, even now.

Your obvious disdain doesn't motivate me to answer a question which assumes facts not in evidence.

I don't think you're going to answer my question because you don't like the answer.

After putting quite a few hours on the Grumman, there are no special little secrets, no bad habits where the plane will just fall out of the sky if you don't know some Grumman trick.

Here ya go, no membership required.

Hold the nose off, you should be able to do touch and goes without it ever touching.

Pretend there is a ratchet on the yoke, once you pull it back you cant put it back forward, some idiots complain of PIO in grummans, ain't a PIO problem it's a POS fundamentals of flying problem ;)

Spend 5min playing around taxing with the castoring nose wheel, not rocket science, don't ride the brakes (duh)

When you fuel, angle the nozzle toward the fuselage, otherwise due to the path of the fuel it will spray back at ya, fuel slow.

Don't grab the dash or glass when gettin in, flip the seat up and put your foot there to avoid getting dirt on the seat.

Reset the flap switch after they retract all the way up.

Last edited:
Since I have no experience in a Gruman, can someone give a few examples of what the average, PPL would not be able to do safely given 30 minutes with a POh and 20 minutes sitting in it on a ramp?

Nothing if they do a proper self check out and understand the low speed handling characteristics so they don't end up over controlling on short final. If they get a feel for the stall and pre stall characteristics, as well as determining their real weight Vso and properly calculating their 1.2, 1.3, & 1.5 Vso speeds to use in the pattern, and find my power settings for level flight and 600fpm desent n the proper flap and trim condition that goes with each speed. Toss in a couple of steep turns to see how much pull 2Gs takes, and typically you're ready to bring it into the pattern. Do all that and you're golden.

This is basically what I do with every single seat plane I get in the first time. It gives you all the data you need to put you into a good position over the threshold in a smooth, stable manner using minimal adjustments.

Oh yeah, also practice falling leaf stalls, and don't spin it.

All that took me about 1-2 flights to figure out, all by myself, no guru required.

No close calls, no pucker factor, no BFD :yes:

Can the owner legally check me out in the plane if he is not a CFI? I will be flying with him anyways before I buy it.

Many of them are. But not the ones we're talking about.

VJsw1MaU_400x400_zpsuurylibi.jpeg

I realize that a lot of folks think that all light singles are so simple that anyone who flies/instructs in one is perfectly good to fly/instruct in any other one, but it just ain't so no matter how much some people wish it was.

The insurance companies, at least, get that, and that's a major reason why the FAA has stayed out of this area, just as, for example, it's the reason they haven't gotten into any endorsement or rating requirements for glass panels.

To the best of my knowledge the FAA has never raised the issue of specific type training for any certified single engine airplane. :dunno:

Kinda defeats the purpose of certification. :rolleyes:

But if you want quality aircraft type training, you're best off getting an instructor who has significant experience in that aircraft type. For Grummans, your best guarantee of that is the AYA PFP. For Bonanzas, your best guarantee of that is the ABS BPPP. For a Cirrus, your best guarantee of that is the COPA CSIP. And there are good sources for other types. Sure, you can probably find an instructor with 500 in type on any of these without going through those programs, but at least through those programs you can be certain you're getting someone who really knows the type.

And to be fair, some of those instructors blessed by the type clubs have committed some very egregious mistakes resulting in badly damaged aircraft.

Can the owner legally check me out in the plane if he is not a CFI? I will be flying with him anyways before I buy it.

Or rather, legally you don't need a checkout at all, so there's no such thing as anybody legally checking you out. If insurance or somebody requires a checkout, you have to ask them what their rules are. But as far as the FAA is concerned, you can buy the plane, hop in, and fly it away solo for the first time if you have a PPL, a medical, and a BFR.

I've found the old owner is often the best one to get you familiar with the plane.

That's what I've done on the last two planes I bought.

You can legally check yourself out, no CFI required. Typically it's an insurance requirement, and yes they do approve non CFIs to check you out in a plane they are familiar with, but it requires specific approval.

As far as insurance goes I pay $250.00 a year for liability only with 100 hours of flight experience.

As far as flying the airplane, no special skills required. The most difficult thing to overcome is over controlling the airplane. It is much more responsive than pretty much any other certified aircraft. You move the yoke and the airplane moves with you. In a Cessna or Piper you could move the yokes to the stops before the airplane starts to respond. Like any other airplane, hit your speeds and you will be fine.

I certainly never said that, and I don't think anyone else did, either. All I said is that if you go to a type club program instructor, you know you're getting someone who really knows the type. Other than that, you have to do a bit more research to find out whether they really know the plane or not.

For starters, too often, land it without bending it, which is why so many insurers want an approved checkout, 15 hours PIC in type, or a lot more money for the first year's premium. Beyond that, it would take me a couple of hours to go over all the various operational and care/feeding issues that a new-to-Grummans pilot gets from the AYA PFP.

I don't think you're going to answer my question because you don't like the answer.
I'm not going to answer it because it assumes facts not in evidence.

After putting quite a few hours on the Grumman, there are no special little secrets, no bad habits where the plane will just fall out of the sky if you don't know some Grumman trick.

Here ya go, no membership required.

Hold the nose off, you should be able to do touch and goes without it ever touching.

Pretend there is a ratchet on the yoke, once you pull it back you cant put it back forward, some idiots complain of PIO in grummans, ain't a PIO problem it's a POS fundamentals of flying problem ;)

Spend 5min playing around taxing with the castoring nose wheel, not rocket science, don't ride the brakes (duh)

When you fuel, angle the nozzle toward the fuselage, otherwise due to the path of the fuel it will spray back at ya, fuel slow.

Don't grab the dash or glass when gettin in, flip the seat up and put your foot there to avoid getting dirt on the seat.

Reset the flap switch after they retract all the way up.
That's not even 5% of what we teach in the AYA PFP. But it's a start.

Unless you are a Student Pilot requiring a 61.87 solo sign-off or need a 61.31 additional training endorsement (none of which are applicable to a Grumman light single), there is no FAA requirement for training in a new make/model for which you are already rated. So, you could learn from the non-CFI seller anything you want to know about the plane, although it could not be logged as training (flight or ground), which could have insurance implications.

To the best of my knowledge the FAA has never raised the issue of specific type training for any certified single engine airplane. :dunno:
Your knowledge is incomplete. But they decided against it. Talk to someone who worked in AFS-810 about 10 years ago if you need details.

Kinda defeats the purpose of certification. :rolleyes:
Ummm...you are familiar with the SFAR's on Robbie helos and MU-2's, right? Those do require specific type training from specifically qualified instructors, even if they're not light singles.

And to be fair, some of those instructors blessed by the type clubs have committed some very egregious mistakes resulting in badly damaged aircraft.
If you know of this happening with an AYA PFP Instructor in a Grumman, I'd sure like to hear the details. As the AYA's Safety Director for the last 17 years, I've never heard of anything like that occurring with one of our PFPI's.

Your knowledge is incomplete. But they decided against it. Talk to someone who worked in AFS-810 about 10 years ago if you need details.

More accurately your knowledge on the subject is a bit twisted. :rolleyes:

Ummm...you are familiar with the SFAR's on Robbie helos and MU-2's, right? Those do require specific type training from specifically qualified instructors, even if they're not light singles.

Entirely different situation (and aircraft). The Robinson SFAR was written by Frank Robinson in order to reduce accidents and liability. The MU-2 SFAR came out of inexperienced pilots flying an aircraft with jet like characteristics, again from the manufacturer seeking reduced accidents and reduced liability.

The little Grummans don't even get anywhere close to sophistication or complexity.

You do know how the AEG works, don't you?

If you know of this happening with an AYA PFP Instructor in a Grumman, I'd sure like to hear the details. As the AYA's Safety Director for the last 17 years, I've never heard of anything like that occurring with one of our PFPI's.

Not sure about your little flying club, but others have destroyed a few airframes with their highly trained gurus in the cockpit.

Bottom line, find an Instructor you like and get checked out if you wish. Having a blessing of someone's flying club isn't necessarily required.

More accurately your knowledge on the subject is a bit twisted. :rolleyes:
Is that your way of saying you were not aware that it was considered?

Entirely different situation (and aircraft). The Robinson SFAR was written by Frank Robinson in order to reduce accidents and liability. The MU-2 SFAR came out of inexperienced pilots flying an aircraft with jet like characteristics, again from the manufacturer seeking reduced accidents and reduced liability.
Nevertheless, category/class certification was determined to be insufficient for those two aircraft.

The little Grummans don't even get anywhere close to sophistication or complexity.
Agreed, but the insurance companies have the statistics to show people without type training still bust them up too often in their first 15 hours in type.

Not sure about your little flying club, but others have destroyed a few airframes with their highly trained gurus in the cockpit.
Perhaps. But I suspect that if you check the accident statistics, you'll find that those who complete one of the type club training programs with a type club designated instructor have a significantly lower accident rate in their first year flying the plane than those who do not. And the insurance companies definitely seem to think that's true -- and they're the ones who are putting their money on the line.

Bottom line, find an Instructor you like and get checked out if you wish.
That's good, but finding an instructor with experience and expertise on the type is better.

Having a blessing of someone's flying club isn't necessarily required.
I agree, but those with their money in the game (and that's neither me nor R&W) do seem to think it's a better choice even if it's not required by the FAA.

Is that your way of saying you were not aware that it was considered?

I'm saying you, as in never have been a part of the FAA, doesn't have the knowledge or background to make such a statement.

Nevertheless, category/class certification was determined to be insufficient for those two aircraft.

Wrong again. The FAA didn't mandate the SFAR on Robinson, it was put there at the request of Frank Robinson himself. In fact, the SFAR expired a few years ago and at Robinson's request it was reinstated.

The MU-2 went through 2 certification evaluations by the AEG and was found both times to have been sufficient. The manufacturer requested (in cooperation with the FAA) placed the SFAR for additional training. It worked by lowering liability and accidents.

Agreed, but the insurance companies have the statistics to show people without type training still bust them up too often in their first 15 hours in type.

If you have a link to that I would like to see it.

Perhaps. But I suspect that if you check the accident statistics, you'll find that those who complete one of the type club training programs with a type club designated instructor have a significantly lower accident rate in their first year flying the plane than those who do not. And the insurance companies definitely seem to think that's true -- and they're the ones who are putting their money on the line.

Again, please post a link proving the above statement.

I'm saying you, as in never have been a part of the FAA, doesn't have the knowledge or background to make such a statement.
You can say that, but it wouldn't be true. And it was discussed publicly.

Wrong again. The FAA didn't mandate the SFAR on Robinson, it was put there at the request of Frank Robinson himself. In fact, the SFAR expired a few years ago and at Robinson's request it was reinstated.
If the FAA didn't mandate the SFAR, how did it get to be part of the Code of Federal Regulations?

If you have a link to that I would like to see it.

Again, please post a link proving the above statement.
No links, just information from brokers and underwriters. Ask one yourself if you want the source information rather than "I read it on the internet".

I'm not going to answer it because it assumes facts not in evidence.

That's not even 5% of what we teach in the AYA PFP. But it's a start.

I guess I am lucky to be alive :rolleyes2:

Does Flight Safety still have their full motion AA1 sim :lol:

If the FAA didn't mandate the SFAR, how did it get to be part of the Code of Federal Regulations?

Read again Ron :rolleyes:. The manufacturers requested the FAA implement the SFAR to a training level above the minimums of what the 14 CFR's mandated. An "equivalent of safety" has been met therefore the requested increasing of the training requirements only enhances safety, not detracts. This was done through the AEG level of the FAA.

This is no different that an Air Operator (121,125,135) requesting increased training requirements in their FCTM or GOM above the minimums required by 14 CFR. The only reason their are minimums in the CFR for these parts is each operator is allowed to adjust according to their needs as long as it's not less.

So, if your flying club could convince the AEG in Kansas City to allow you to mandate additional training for little Grummans you too could get an SFAR published.

No links, just information from brokers and underwriters. Ask one yourself if you want the source information rather than "I read it on the internet".

Kinda like "I heard it when I was at HQ".......:rolleyes:

Kinda like "I heard it when I was at HQ".......:rolleyes:
You'd just say you wouldn't believe me unless the Administrator's signature was on it. Just do the research yourself so you can't argue with me about the veracity of the source.

And I wasn't aware that manufacturers could require the FAA to issue AD's or FAR's affecting their products -- can you cite the regulations which allow this? I thought the FAA had to be convinced and then go through the rulemaking process per the Administrative Procedures Act before they could issue an AD or new regulation which mandated these things. I also thought the FAA often denied such requests. I further thought that if you didn't comply with them, you answered to the FAA, not the manufacturer, so I don't see compliance with such rules as being mandated by anyone other than the FAA.

Finally, the Piper Malibu is an airplane, right? And the FAA did consider mandating specialized training in it after a series of accidents, right, even though (like glass panels) they eventually chose to let industry forces handle the issue without any rulemaking?

Last edited:
You'd just say you wouldn't believe me unless the Administrator's signature was on it. Just do the research yourself so you can't argue with me about the veracity of the source.

:rolleyes: Let's just say, from my experience in the Agency, I find a lot of your "insider FAA" stuff nonsense.

And I wasn't aware that manufacturers could require the FAA to issue AD's or FAR's affecting their products -- can you cite the regulations which allow this?

Do you actually know the difference between an SFAR and an AD?

I thought the FAA had to be convinced and then go through the rulemaking process per the Administrative Procedures Act before they could issue an AD or new regulation which mandated these things.

Again, we are not talking AD's. The SFAR is not the same as an Airworthiness Directive, two entirely different things.

Besides, remember this thread in which you proclaimed an absolute?
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1689717&highlight=age#post1689717

I also thought the FAA often denied such requests. I further thought that if you didn't comply with them, you answered to the FAA, not the manufacturer, so I don't see compliance with such rules as being mandated by anyone other than the FAA.

Understand the part about SFAR's? :rolleyes:

Finally, the Piper Malibu is an airplane, right? And the FAA did consider mandating specialized training in it after a series of accidents, right, even though (like glass panels) they eventually chose to let industry forces handle the issue without any rulemaking?

Yep, done through the AEG. The AEG found no reason to implement more stringent training, and the manufacturer agreed.

My information on the Robinsons comes directly from Frank Robinson at a Heli Expo I attended some time back. The question of the SFAR came up (as it usually does) and he explained it, as I've described it.

Did you close the deal on the AA1?

I hope it'snot the blue one at Hooks.

Last edited:
He took me up for a little bit today. I am officially hooked now. I just have to find financing. We are talking about taking it back to Fletch Air to get the leak fixed. And then I would buy it for $14,500. I really really like the plane!

It's not out of hooks.

He took me up for a little bit today. I am officially hooked now. I just have to find financing. We are talking about taking it back to Fletch Air to get the leak fixed. And then I would buy it for $14,500. I really really like the plane!
Good. And make sure your agreement includes a prepurchase inspection by Fletchair at your expense while it's there (it's essentially your purchase insurance policy), but any airworthiness discrepancies they find which were not previously disclosed by the seller to be covered by the seller.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your life -- choose wisely.

After all this bla-ba-blabla, about all this training needed to be safe in the AA series, are they really all that squirley?

If they are, why don't we see a higher accident record?

If they aren't why are you so adamant about getting the training?

I simply don't get it.

After all this bla-ba-blabla, about all this training needed to be safe in the AA series, are they really all that squirley?
Not squirrely, just different.

If they are, why don't we see a higher accident record?
We do, in the first 15 hours in type with no type training.

If they aren't why are you so adamant about getting the training?
To save the new Grumman pilot money and agony. And there are a load of other ownership issues facing the new owner/pilot besides learning how to land the plane. The list James331 gave above just scratches the surface.

I simply don't get it.
I know.

Back